PDA

View Full Version : Best Products for a White Car

Pages : [1] 2 3

smoothasglass
05-05-2011, 12:47 PM
My 2009 White MINI is in excellent condition so between something like #16, Uno and Poxy, or Pinnacle Liquid Souverän, would u just go with a polish like Uno or just one product such as Pinnacle Liquid Souverän or Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant and Pinnacle Liquid Souverän?

Trying to keep it as simple as possible with as few products as possible. Have used UPP mostly up to now with claying twice a year or so then following it with Klasse All In One and using Werstat Acrylic Jett: Trigger and Glos in between.

Trying to determine going forward it is best just to use a polish regularly (UNO, Swirlx, etc.) or to always follow it then with a wax/sealant?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

rwright
05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Wash
Apply Iron X to paint
Wash again
Clay
Duragloss #501
Duragloss #105
Final wipe with Duragloss Aqua Wax

smoothasglass
05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
After following those steps the first time, would you then just use #105 followed by AW?

How would:

Duragloss #501
Duragloss #105

Compare to:

Uno
Poxy

or

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant
Pinnacle Liquid Souverä

Here is a pic to give an idea of the condition:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6871/p1000433m.th.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/i/p1000433m.jpg/)

Wash
Apply Iron X to paint
Wash again
Clay
Duragloss #501
Duragloss #105

richy
05-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Wash
Apply Iron X to paint
Wash again
Clay
Duragloss #501
Duragloss #105

:iagree: Richard has given you perfect advice for a white car.

rwright
05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
:iagree: Richard has given you perfect advice for a white car.

You taught me well :)

rwright
05-05-2011, 02:19 PM
After following those steps the first time, would you then just use #105 followed by AW?

How would:

Duragloss #501
Duragloss #105

Compare to:

Uno
Poxy

or

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant
Pinnacle Liquid Souverä

Here is a pic to give an idea of the condition:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6871/p1000433m.th.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/i/p1000433m.jpg/)

Basically you will need:
Iron X
Clay/lubricant
Duragloss #501 Marine Polish
Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish
Duragloss #601

The steps:
Mix DG 601 and 501 @ 1:4 ratio (1 part 601:1 part 501)
Apply to paint, allow to haze, remove

Wait 2 hours then:

Mix DG 601 and 105 @ 1:4 ratio (1 part 601:1 part 105)

I personally wait 2 hours before wiping down with Duragloss Aqua Wax. Then wash as normal and apply DG Aqua Wax after rinsing on a monthly basis or when you feel the need. Weekly won't hurt anything but I would do it every other week.

I haven't used Uno or Poxy so I can't give a comparison. Menzerna Power Lock and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran are nice products but DG 601/501/105 combo will outlast them. Plus with the Duragloss process you can do it all in one day vs. waiting 12 hours for Power Lock to cure then apply your wax. Feel free to do as you please.

*Edit - This is assuming your paint doesn't need corrected first. Going by the picture of the paint in the shade, it appears to be in great shape.

smoothasglass
05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Great! Interested in hearing from those using #16, Uno and Poxy, or Pinnacle Liquid Souverän.

dougaross
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Basically you will need:
Iron X
Clay/lubricant
Duragloss #501 Marine Polish
Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish
Duragloss #601

The steps:
Mix DG 601 and 501 @ 1:4 ratio (1 part 601:1 part 501)

Wait 2 hours then:

Mix DG 601 and 105 @ 1:4 ratio (1 part 601:1 part 105)

I personally wait 2 hours before wiping down with Duragloss Aqua Wax. Then wash as normal and apply DG Aqua Wax after rinsing on a monthly basis or when you feel the need. Weekly won't hurt anything but I would do it every other week.

I haven't used Uno or Poxy so I can't give a comparison. Menzerna Power Lock and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran are nice products but DG 601/501/105 combo will outlast them. Plus with the Duragloss process you can do it all in one day vs. waiting 12 hours for Power Lock to cure then apply your wax. Feel free to do as you please.

*Edit - This is assuming your paint doesn't need corrected first. Going by the picture of the paint in the shade, it appears to be in great shape.

I also agree. In addition, For winter I throw on a coat a Collinite 845.

RE: IronX My paint is well maintained and I found very few signs of iron mid-panel - some around trim and on wheels, However, I clayed first while I was waiting for IronX. But my clay wasn't particularly dirty.

Lasthope05
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Great! Interested in hearing from those using #16, Uno and Poxy, or Pinnacle Liquid Souverän.

I have liquid souveran and M16, and they dont give off has much gloss and shine DG does. I like DG 111 on whites better than DG 105. It has a brighter candy look.

heynicebits
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I would really stick to an AIO for a white car. White paint is usually very hard and wont be able to benefit from a crazy multi step process as dark colors would. White just wont pop as much for the extra time and effort.

Mike Phillips has an article about this somewhere if you browse the site.

richy
05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I would really stick to an AIO for a white car. White paint is usually very hard and wont be able to benefit from a crazy multi step process as dark colors would. White just wont pop as much for the extra time and effort.

Having done many white cars with DG 501, I completely disagree with you.

James K
05-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I have not used the Duragloss combo on a white car before, but I have used it on light silver and it looked great. I am sure it would look great on white. Plus o tend to trust what Richy has to say.

A combo I do like on white, if no real correction is needed, is Pinnacle Paint Cleansing lotion followed up with Blackfire Wet Diamond. I like sealants on white cars.

john b
05-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Wash
Apply Iron X to paint
Wash again
Clay
Duragloss #501
Duragloss #105
would that also be a good set up for a light gray paint?

Marc Hufnagel
05-05-2011, 11:53 PM

What if it is a metallic white? Pearlescent if you will.

rwright
05-06-2011, 12:31 AM

Aside from reading about a process, have you actually tried? I don't mean just wash & wax white and hope for the best, I mean really try different products, combo's, or techniques.