PDA

View Full Version : Swirl removal

Pages : [1] 2

Excessive Detail
04-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey guyz. I been wondering when removing heavy swirl marks I know you have to start with a somewhat abrasive product and a light cutting pad or a cutting pad, this were i get confused. Do you then step down with a less abrasive product and maybe a polishing pad or go straight to a finishing product or a paint cleansing lotion. Or do you o both. And whats the differeance b/t a finishing polish and a paint cleansing lotion?
Thanks

proshine2004
04-23-2006, 10:08 PM
i go from a compound /cutting pad to a polish/ med pad then wax or go from the compound straight to the wax if the finish has no swirls .

Mr. Clean
04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Generally speaking, if you start off with a moderately aggressive SMR and use a cutting pad, you will need to at least add an additional step using a polishing pad. I have read where people have performed defect correction while using a polishing pad with a polish that allowed them to go straight to their LSP w/o stepping down to a finer polish.

Sometimes terminology gets in the way. Your question is a good example. If I read paint cleaner, I expect a product that cleans the surface leaving nothing behind but clean paint. That product won't perform any paint correction other than said cleaning. However a number of polishes clean paint and leave some protection behind, and some polishes clean/correct/protect.

ScottB
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
The term "heavy swirl marks" seems to suggest that you will need to start at the upward spectrum of polishes (maybe the most aggressive=compound). Machine (rotary or orbital) , pad choice (cutting versus, polishing) and speed with also dictate where and how to start for paint correction.

Depending on high abrasive you went (as well as the polish lines) you might need to do a repolishing and then j-eweling the finish with a finishing pad and polish. Here is one example :

Orange Cutting Pad -- Poorboys SSR 3.0 -- Speed 5500rpms random
then
White pad for polishing -- SSR 2.5 -- same speed moving to 6000rpms
then
grey finishing pad -- SSR 1.0 --similar speeds

basically moving from most abrasive to least. Some polishes like Menzerna break down well, and sometimes you could move from one and skip the middle ground.

Excessive Detail
04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
I just ordered the Pinnacle kit with all six of the xmt products, from what I've read it seems to work well. I'm going to try all the 3 swirl removers from intermediate to fine to ultar fine, then the finishing glaze. Do you think this is a good idea? I figured I'd use a light cutting pad for the intermediate, then a polishing pad for the fine, and either a polishing or finishing pad for the ultra fine, what do you think?

ScottB
04-25-2006, 05:48 PM
I just ordered the Pinnacle kit with all six of the xmt products, from what I've read it seems to work well. I'm going to try all the 3 swirl removers from intermediate to fine to ultar fine, then the finishing glaze. Do you think this is a good idea? I figured I'd use a light cutting pad for the intermediate, then a polishing pad for the fine, and either a polishing or finishing pad for the ultra fine, what do you think?

great choice. I think you will be pleased. Remember to use some speed (upper spectrum on PC, lower on rotary) , a little pressure, and go it slow. No rushing a perfect canvas .... you will like the final glaze and can always cover it with any carnuaba as wanted.

Moises_C
04-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Dont forget to post some pics before and after, i really want to know how the NXT works!

BlackCoupe
04-25-2006, 08:06 PM

Why not work from least aggressive combo to most, with a test area, to see what works? If something less than most aggressive works, you have saved time and paint. Just my .02.

Excessive Detail
04-25-2006, 11:07 PM
When it comes in I'll take some pics. I can't wait to try it. I have to say I've been using meguairs d/a cleaner polish on some cars and it seems to work very well. I used it with a light cutting pad and when I was done I was able to go straight to the sealant without any type of finishing glaze. I also used poorboys 2.5 with a light cutting pad and than stepped down with the ssr 1.0 with a polishing pad and then followed up with poor boys EX-P sealant. It took some time but it looked great. I'll let ya know how the xmt works out. thanks for all the advice.

ScottB
04-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Why not work from least aggressive combo to most, with a test area, to see what works? If something less than most aggressive works, you have saved time and paint. Just my .02.

You are correct, very correct. The only reason why it was prescribed a little differently, as the poster offered that the car has heavy swirls. A finishing pad and finishing polish wont make a dent in these. Once you become acclimated to the abrasive nature of certain polishes you will jump to a specific level, but always safer to error on the side of caution.

Excessive Detail
04-26-2006, 05:28 PM
I've heard alot of people say they like Wolfgangs swirl remover, how does it compare to Pinnacles Advanced Swirl and Swirl remover or any other products? I've been trying to find one swirl remover to stick with when I'm detailing cars that would work well on all levels and doens't require any type of finishing polish, or will I have to use 2 or more polish/swirl removers depending on the car? I'm mainly trying to save time, while still creating a good finish that your average person would like.

Excessive Detail
04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I've heard alot of good thins about wolfgangs swirl remover. How does it compare to pinnacles two swirl remover of any other swirl removers. I'm trying to find a good alround swirl remover to use when I'm detailing car mainly to save time a produce a nice finish that would be good enough for the average person. Maybe something that wouldn't require any type of finishing polish, instead of using two or more prodcuts, but I know it all depends on the cars paint condtion.

Excessive Detail
04-26-2006, 05:41 PM
didn't mean to post that one twicw, I thought it didn't work the first time. sorry

BlackCoupe
04-26-2006, 05:44 PM
You are correct, very correct. The only reason why it was prescribed a little differently, as the poster offered that the car has heavy swirls. A finishing pad and finishing polish wont make a dent in these. Once you become acclimated to the abrasive nature of certain polishes you will jump to a specific level, but always safer to error on the side of caution.

My only thing on the swirls, was that maybe if he was Noob like me, his idea of heavy swirls and yours, as a pro, might be different--but I should have kept my nose out.

I live in South Fl also, Palm Beach Gardens, about 30 min from Autogeek. Do you give lessons? I am not competition--just a hobbyist. Pretty much OK on the DA, but learning the rotary.

I met Jason a few weeks back. Very nice guy, but then, I can be a lousy judge of character.

ScottB
04-26-2006, 06:53 PM
My only thing on the swirls, was that maybe if he was Noob like me, his idea of heavy swirls and yours, as a pro, might be different--but I should have kept my nose out..

Not in the least, you offered very sound advice.

I live in South Fl also, Palm Beach Gardens, about 30 min from Autogeek. Do you give lessons? I am not competition--just a hobbyist. Pretty much OK on the DA, but learning the rotary..

I am actually further south in the Margate, Coral Springs area. I dont get to detail like I use to with a 14 month old son. If you have a get together, let me know, and maybe I can make it north. I truthfully find the rotary to be almost unneeded but a darn cool tool, I really want a Cyclo next. No pro, just a hobbyist also

I met Jason a few weeks back. Very nice guy, but then, I can be a lousy judge of character.

you were. Jason is very, very mean and very, very violent. Infact, he scares me to death. He's probably beating Meghan now or throwing mud on Matts Camaro :D