PDA

View Full Version : Question about put another wax on Meg's DA MF system.

Pages : [1] 2

Tek-nique
05-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi all.

Just a question that I've been itching my head. I am not sure if this has been covered. I have search using the search button but with no luck, nor every written reviews I've read did not cover the question that I am looking for. Which is... Can you add a different / another Wax after Meg's D301 Finishing Wax?

Sorry for the trouble if this has been discuss before.

Thanks!
-Tek

BobbyG
05-04-2011, 05:54 AM
No problem at all, this is one of the reasons these forums exist..

To be perfectly honest I don't know for sure. I can't see how it would hurt to try and would be curious to see the before and after results.

Correct a section with the compound and appropriate pad
Wipe clean and evaluate the surface finish
Add your favorite wax to the finishing pad and apply normally
Let wax haze, if required, buff and evaluate..

Report back with results and photos...:props:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/33701-roll-call-what-s-your-real-first-name.html

Tek-nique
05-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks Bobby!

I just find myself wanting a little more protection / perfection out of the final step.

I will report a full detailing log as soon I can my hands on my new DA kit and a Sunny weather. :)

I was also thinking of following up with M205 after the D300 thats if I find the need on my 2010 Toyota Camry. I might do a small section and do a comparison, we'll see. :)

Thanks again,
-Tek

BobbyG
05-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Hey Wes,

Detailing is as much of an art as it is a science and there's allot of gray area. Experimenting is part of learning and fine tuning for what works on your particular situation.

Adding an different polish or two into the mix or switching from the Microfiber DA pad to a foam pad is an example of this. You really can't hurt anything and it an approach doesn't seem to achieve the desired results then simply clean the area and start over.

Audi X2
05-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi all.

Just a question that I've been itching my head. I am not sure if this has been covered. I have search using the search button but with no luck, nor every written reviews I've read did not cover the question that I am looking for. Which is... Can you add a different / another Wax after Meg's D301 Finishing Wax?

Sorry for the trouble if this has been discuss before.

Thanks!
-Tek

I attended the training class at Detail Fest on the Meguiars microfiber D/A system.
This exact question was asked of Jason Rose from Meguiars and he said that after using the D301 finishing wax it can be topped with any wax or sealant of your choosing.

silverfox
05-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Its interesting how many users of the Meg's MF DA correction system love the correction side of the equation (D300-cutting), but less than thrilled with the finishing side (D301-finishing). Let's not forget that the finishing side is also meant to be an AIO product for paint that doesn't need much correction - thus it acts just as an AIO should ...its really good at everything its supposed to do...but its not as good as dedicated finishing or protection products. I don't think D301 was intended to be a substitute for those kinds of products, and some folks buying this system are perhaps assuming a bit too much.

Its therefore not unusual for many folks to use the first step...and go right to their favorite dedicated finishing and protection products.

chris11le
05-04-2011, 07:16 AM
I attended the training class at Detail Fest on the Meguiars microfiber D/A system.
This exact question was asked of Jason Rose from Meguiars and he said that after using the D301 finishing wax it can be topped with any wax or sealant of your choosing.

I had this same question and thank you for answering direct from the source.

I skipped the D301 just in case...luckily I was able to go from D300 right to LSP because it seemed to finish down pretty well on my wifes 03 Acura.

Next project will be my fair-condition truck, Ill probably try Megs #16 or Collinite 476S over the D301.

5.4 Shelby
05-04-2011, 07:47 AM
D300 has left a defintite haze on my cars. Some of it is oils from the compound. It is very oily. But even after IPA, there is a hze on the paint. If you are going to go with another wax, I would either use 301 and IPA wipedown before adding final LSP or use a different finsihing polish such as M205.

Tek-nique
05-04-2011, 08:16 AM
@Bobby I couldn't agree more! :)

@silverfox Thanks for the info learning a lot now.

@Audi X2 thanks for clearing it up from a direct source.

@ 5.1 Shelby when you say IPA wipedown. Not sure what IPA is but is that Isopropyl alcohol (spelling?). Any type of alcohol ok or do you have a product that you recommend? (its hard to remember all the Acronym's ) :)

I appreciate all the replies guys! thanks!

James K
05-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Yes IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol. I use 70% and then dilute it.

As for using another wax as a finishing wax. I have tried XMT360, Collinite 845, and Mothers Cleaner Wax all as a finish wax. The XMT finished the nicest. What I do if I find the D301 is not finishing the way I like, is to either use a finish polish like Mothers Professional Foam Pad Polish or and AIO like XMT on the MF pad.

If I use the polish, I finish up with my choice of LSP.

Tek-nique
05-04-2011, 09:38 AM
gotcha', thanks for the tips MP Cobra fan.

chris11le
05-04-2011, 09:38 AM
D300 has left a defintite haze on my cars. Some of it is oils from the compound. It is very oily. But even after IPA, there is a hze on the paint. If you are going to go with another wax, I would either use 301 and IPA wipedown before adding final LSP or use a different finsihing polish such as M205.

I did notice that as well. When I took a look at the car in the sun it almost looked like hologramming. Im sure some of it could be actual haze (and some of it is probably still there, I was in a hurry so had to put a coat of some LSP on it), but I also noticed that a lot of it smeared if I ran my finger thru it. I gave the car a quick IPA wipedown, and you could tell the oils went away because the microfiber towel was starting to "squeak" on the panel, indicating that the panel literally was squeaky clean and had nothing left on it.

Oddly enough I had the exact same issue (but a lot more obvious because its black) on my G37. At this point Im almost positive 99% of it is just oil, Im sure there is some haze that needs to be worked out but its at least comforting to know someone else sees it too.

Ive actually resorted to buying new microfiber towels just to be sure my existing ones arent causing contamination even after washing and rinsing thoroughly.

5.4 Shelby
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I did notice that as well. When I took a look at the car in the sun it almost looked like hologramming. Im sure some of it could be actual haze (and some of it is probably still there, I was in a hurry so had to put a coat of some LSP on it), but I also noticed that a lot of it smeared if I ran my finger thru it. I gave the car a quick IPA wipedown, and you could tell the oils went away because the microfiber towel was starting to "squeak" on the panel, indicating that the panel literally was squeaky clean and had nothing left on it.

Oddly enough I had the exact same issue (but a lot more obvious because its black) on my G37. At this point Im almost positive 99% of it is just oil, Im sure there is some haze that needs to be worked out but its at least comforting to know someone else sees it too.

Ive actually resorted to buying new microfiber towels just to be sure my existing ones arent causing contamination even after washing and rinsing thoroughly.
I dont mind the oils. Sure it sucks to have to clean it off the paint, but, it gives the polish a nice working time and easy removal. Just for fun, I did 1 panel where I left the oil on it and went over it with the D301. The finish was not oily or marred when I finished. It looked just as good as the rest of the car.

I was working on a dark blue (True Blue Metallic) Mustang.

chris11le
05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I dont mind the oils. Sure it sucks to have to clean it off the paint, but, it gives the polish a nice working time and easy removal. Just for fun, I did 1 panel where I left the oil on it and went over it with the D301. The finish was not oily or marred when I finished. It looked just as good as the rest of the car.

I was working on a dark blue (True Blue Metallic) Mustang.

Yeah, I didnt mind this too much. When I had it show up on my G, I was using Gtechniq P1 and for the life of me I could not get the stuff off. IPA didnt touch it. I ended up bring the car to a pro detailer and he said the same thing....it was loads of oils from something, and it took a couple degreasing steps to get it all off.

The D300 seemed to come off just fine with an IPA wipedown. Since I want to Opticoat my G, I might take a shot at one panel with D300 followed by M205 and see if I can clean it all off as easy as it came off the wifes car. If so, the MF system may end up being my permanent go to setup.

Rsurfer
05-04-2011, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=chris11le;462046]Yeah, I didnt mind this too much. When I had it show up on my G, I was using Gtechniq P1 and for the life of me I could not get the stuff off. IPA didnt touch it. I ended up bring the car to a pro detailer and he said the same thing....it was loads of oils from something, and it took a couple degreasing steps to get it all off.

Don't know what you had on your paint before using P1, but P1 is water soluble, no oils. If it dries, just squirt some water to reactivate it into a cream. To prove it, put your pad under plain water and it will clean up.