PDA

View Full Version : Diluting Klasse HGSG for spray sealant?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jbgrant
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I have a liter of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze arriving tomorrow with 26lbs of other stuff from AG (hurray for free shipping!) and want to know what (and how) forum members are diluting this stuff for other modes of application?

So googling and forum searching leaves me to believe that this stuff is water-based and that makes in a very flexible yet finicky sealant. Multiple members modify the directions by using a panel by panel WOWO approach which apparently doesn't compromise the sealants integrity and saves loads of time and work. Some let it sit hazy on their finish for 12-24 hours for the best cure and the easiest removal. Others take this further and dilute it 1:4, 1:5, or 1:10 and use it as a spray sealant. And of course those that use it as directed suggest using a very small amount, which I believe is true of any sealant. Does anybody use diluted klasse HGSG as a primary tool in their detailing arsenal?

I will be using it as a stand-alone sealant as I prefer dedicated polishing compounds and protection to AIOs, but I recognize their potential value. What have those experienced with klasse HGSG found is a great top coat to add depth to the sealant? (I will be trying pinnacle liquid souveran wax, CG wet mirror finish, etc.).

Does klasse hgsg stain plastic trim or rubber?

Thank you!

Lasthope05
05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I dilute 1:1 to use as a spray sealant. Spray on and buff until it is totally gone. It cures in 30-40 minutes so you can retop with another layer after that. Its as easy to use as a QD. I dont top KSG with anything as it detracts from the looks it gives.

BobbyG
05-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm just throwing my 2 cents in here..

Are you talking about Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze?

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, klasse SG sealant, klasse sealant glase,klasse sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html)

I've never heard of thinning or diluting it and as far as layering the web-page says the following:

• MULTIPLE COATS will increase the clarity of the reflective shine, and deepen the overall mirror like finish.

• DAMPEN YOUR MICROFIBER PAD with a quick detailer, such as Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz or DP Final Gloss. Then apply a dime-sized amount of Klasse onto the pad. Wipe in long, layered strokes and use just a little pressure; it won’t hinder the results. Let the sealant remain on the entire surface area of your vehicle until it is absolutely dry before you buff your car. Mist the surface with quick detail spray if it resists buffing.

• WAIT 8-12 HOURS BEFORE LAYERING additional coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze or any other product. I recommend you let your car sit overnight and then reapply in the morning or afternoon.

S2K
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I dilute 1:1 to use as a spray sealant. Spray on and buff until it is totally gone. It cures in 30-40 minutes so you can retop with another layer after that. Its as easy to use as a QD. I dont top KSG with anything as it detracts from the looks it gives.

The description in AG store says to let it cure 8-12 hours before layering it. Is that because it is at full strength? Does it cure in 30 mins because it has been diluted?
It sounds like good stuff, how do you like it?

Lasthope05
05-03-2011, 01:04 PM
The description in AG store says to let it cure 8-12 hours before layering it. Is that because it is at full strength? Does it cure in 30 mins because it has been diluted?

The 8-12 hour cure time is for sealants in general as they are made of polymers that need sufficient time to cross link and bond to the paint. Water based acrylic sealants like Klasse are different in that there are no polymers in it to cross link. Once the carrier solvent(water) has evaporated the acrylic instantly bonds to the paint. That is why if you apply to much it is incredibly hard to remove the haze.

Acrylic sealants are very durable and produce a very bright and glossy finish which look great on lighter color cars. I used Klasse for several years until I made the switch to Jeff Werkstatt' line up which is an updated version of Klasse.

BobbyG
05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I used Klasse for several years until I made the switch to Jeff Werkstatt' line up which is an updated version of Klasse.

That's interesting Alan, what Jeff Werkstatt product would be comparable to Klasse All In One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze?

Lasthope05
05-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Klasse All-in-one = Jeff werkstat Prime
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze = Jeff Werkstat Acrylic Jett

What I like about the JW products is their newer updated versions. In JW prime for instance they also have Prime Acrylic which has more sealant in it for a more durable finish, Prime Carnauba that is wax based instead of acrylic, and Prime strong which is regular prime on steriods with 20% more cleaners and acrylic sealant.

Also In addition to JW Acrylic Jett, they have Acrylic Jett Trigger(AJT) which is the outrageously easy to use spray version.

jbgrant
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Can you guys comment on how it acts on unpainted trim or rubber?

Thanks,

Joel

Lasthope05
05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
It protects trim just like it does paint but it does not restore nor stain it. It also works great on glass. If you have Klasse all in one use it on the rubber trim too.

Silverstone
05-03-2011, 02:42 PM

I never diluted it but three layers of KSG looks like glass! (gotta have that third layer IMO)

And yeah it dresses/seals rubber window trim nicely. Although I hit it with 303 first, and then the KSG seals it in. :xyxthumbs:

jbgrant
05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
I never diluted it but three layers of KSG looks like glass! (gotta have that third layer IMO)

And yeah it dresses/seals rubber window trim nicely. Although I hit it with 303 first, and then the KSG seals it in. :xyxthumbs:

Do you ever cheat on the cure time (like Lasthope) when applying three coats, or do you give it 8-12 hours between coats?

ScottB
05-03-2011, 06:33 PM
KSG is rather thin on its own, you can just add it to a sprayer and use undiliuted. Best way IMO ...

bluegoose
05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Yep, agree. I followed Mr. Killrwheels method he posted in another thread and just put it in a small 2 oz spray bottle and lightly sprayed one panel at a time and wipe on with one MF and buff off with another and it works fantastic. Think this might be one of the best tips I've come across. Beading is like crazy with KSG too, love that stuff. //bluegoose//

jbgrant
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Very happy to hear this stuff doesn't make a mess of trim like many sealants.

First I'm going to try the undiluted spray method using a fairly non-absorbent applicator and do one panel at a time buffing off the product before moving on. Then I will try a 1:1 dilution and see how that changes things. Next I will try using it traditionally as direction suggest. Finally I will try a 1:5 dilution as a quick WOWO sealant and gauge the results. Will let you guys know what I think Saturday.

Thanks for the great input. Keep the opinions coming!

Joel

BobbyG
05-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Very happy to hear this stuff doesn't make a mess of trim like many sealants.

First I'm going to try the undiluted spray method using a fairly non-absorbent applicator and do one panel at a time buffing off the product before moving on. Then I will try a 1:1 dilution and see how that changes things. Next I will try using it traditionally as direction suggest. Finally I will try a 1:5 dilution as a quick WOWO sealant and gage the results. Will let you guys know what I think Saturday.

Thanks for the great input. Keep the opinions coming!

Joel

Joel,

I like the test plan, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing the results...:props: