PDA

View Full Version : How much better is 2 coats of wax than 1?

Pages : [1] 2

Luke
01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
How much better is 2 coats of wax than 1? I am using Liquid Souveran on a white car. Does it make a difference to put 2 coats of wax on? If so, how much? Will it last longer?

ScottB
01-05-2007, 07:32 PM
there is a point of diminishing return on all detailing products. What most would offer is 2 coats of a wax for maximum coverage, and 2-3 coats of a sealant for best durability and protection. Other than that, your likely just wasting time, money, and product.

abrcrombe
01-05-2007, 07:33 PM
It is all personal preference and this is not something we can test easily. Whether or not you can tell all depends on how good you can sense things like that and maybe how bad you want to see something. Sometimes it makes a big difference, sometimes not. I say 90% of the look is in the preparation (polishing and such), so another coat won't significantly make things look magical. Lasting longer, I don't really know but you need to make sure you "spit shine" the second coat. Put some QD or water in the fridge let it get cold, then spray some on the surface to "freeze" the previous layer, so you can apply the next. Probably won't work with a PC.

Luke
01-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Thank you both for your opinions. Do you think there would be much of a difference though with 2 coats?

abrcrombe
01-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Not much... especially on white.

Luke
01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Like my sexy car though? Turns you on huh? Umm, akward...

RTexasF
01-05-2007, 08:04 PM
To me two coats is needed (wax or sealant) simply because you will likely catch areas that you missed initially. More protection? That debate will go on forever.......

Luke
01-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Miss areas? I have never missed an area while waxing. I go over the area multiple times though. Spread wax, turn speed up and go over area slowly, and then go over area again a little bit faster.

Surfer
01-05-2007, 08:11 PM
To me two coats is needed (wax or sealant) simply because you will likely catch areas that you missed initially. More protection? That debate will go on forever.......Agree, I usually do two coats of a sealant and two coats of a wax not really for look but more so to ensure coverage. Normally I would think multiple layers of a wax would deter from the look sometimes or show no gain, but somebody on another board had posted pics of a silver S2000 I believe that had something likre 8 coats of some kinda Zymol wax, and it looked pretty damn awsome, never seen silver have the look that car did....maybe it was just that wax?

abrcrombe
01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Surfer - can you find the pic of that s2k?

RTexasF
01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Miss areas? I have never missed an area while waxing. I go over the area multiple times though. Spread wax, turn speed up and go over area slowly, and then go over area again a little bit faster.

Obviously you are more careful than I . It seems that no matter how cautious I am there are always tiny spots here and there that were somehow missed....which is why I do it twice. My point is that it is necessary for ME and perhaps others not as diligent as yourself.

bambo2888
01-05-2007, 09:36 PM
i dont mean to highjack, but... should you seal then wax or visa versa? just looking for the little extra...

ltoman
01-05-2007, 09:41 PM
i dont mean to highjack, but... should you seal then wax or visa versa? just looking for the little extra...

Seal then wax!:)

bambo2888
01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
i thought so, thanks!

JeffW
01-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Thank you both for your opinions. Do you think there would be much of a difference though with 2 coats?

In my experience Max Wax and NB both are noticably better looking after the 2nd coat. With 476 I noticed only minor differences with a 2nd coat applied.