PDA

View Full Version : Window question

Pages : [1] 2

mrwizard96
05-02-2011, 10:42 AM
After we are done with a car and owner picks it up. The only complaint (or criticism really) is that when they roll down their windows and then back up they get wet and streaked.

Is there a way to fix this or keep it from happening other than telling the owner to not roll his/her window down for a day?

Feed back please

Flash Gordon
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
After we are done with a car and owner picks it up. The only complaint (or criticism really) is that when they roll down their windows and then back up they get wet and streaked.

Is there a way to fix this or keep it from happening other than telling the owner to not roll his/her window down for a day?

Feed back please

You could get a butter knife and hairdryer. Pull the seal back a bit while blowdrying with the other hand

If this is the only complaint your recieving, your doing good. Hand them a paper towel on their way out the door

mrwizard96
05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks that is an idea for sure. I will try it. Were not getting complaints because 3 of my boys are doing it and I do a final inspection. There doing a great job. Were only doing production detailing no show car or paint repair. Basically wash, dry, clay, and wax, then interior detail.

Every time they finish a car they are getting better and better. This is all to earn money for their boy scout camp this summer and for their High School Band trip to Disney World next year.

kkreit01
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Do you roll them up/down a few times prior to customer? This could also reduce the amount of streaking.

Flash Gordon
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks that is an idea for sure. I will try it. Were not getting complaints because 3 of my boys are doing it and I do a final inspection. There doing a great job. Were only doing production detailing no show car or paint repair. Basically wash, dry, clay, and wax, then interior detail.

Every time they finish a car they are getting better and better. This is all to earn money for their boy scout camp this summer and for their High School Band trip to Disney World next year.

Well, this is a wonderfull idea I believe. Give the kids an idea how the real world works

Congratualations :props:

Back to that window deal....I really wouldn't worry about that. No other shop is going to blow dry their window seals I assure you

Urweak
05-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I work at a dealership. When we clean cars for delivery, the same thing happens. All that can be done is to not put the window down untill you give it to the customer. Once they take it, its in their hands.

You would have to let the car dry for a few hours in the sun with the windows up to prevent this. Just like the new car deliveries, you probably dont have the luxury to allow a customers car to sit for hours while they wait.

maximus20895
05-05-2011, 02:29 AM
How does water get in the cracks in the first place?

jpegs13
05-05-2011, 04:21 AM
How does water get in the cracks in the first place?

Gravity

dougaross
05-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Gravity
Can't we eliminate it?

jlb85
05-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I blow dry the seals ;) Well, with the leaf blower.

They still get wet when they go down and up. Using a sealant on the glass helps reduce it and keeps it from streaking too much. Start by rolling the window down just enough to get to the top edge to clean, then roll back up and finish the bottom.

vet
05-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for posting the question. I wondered about this myself. Now I have a few things to try.

What sealant do you use?

Midnight1700
05-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Some cars/trucks just seem to be worse than others when it comes to this. What we've been doing to eliminate this when we do a full bath is to take some 1" wide masking tape and run it along the bottom of the glass and slightly overlap onto the door before the wash. This prevents water from flowing down into the door and window guides.

Big D
05-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Great question, and some great ideas! Thanks :)

cutter
05-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I agree that the leaf blower is a good idea!!!:xyxthumbs:

santov
05-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Use your compressors air gun and blow the excess water out of the rubber seal, door handles, hinges, etc.

Remind them to wait a couple hours to roll the windows down. That way it's on them if they do since you reminded them.