PDA

View Full Version : Paint transfer not removed by clay?

XLNTShine
05-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Guys,

I washed the car today and got out the clay that came with my Griots kit, the yellow Griots clay, and clayed the car. This car had not been taken care of as it is a daily driver at a rock quarry. I had a bunch of sap to remove which it did a fine job of.

1) I have areas that clearly are paint transfer as they are above the surface of my paint. The clay didn't really remove this, any suggestions or should it come off when i polish the car??

2) The tree sap appears to have left stains where it say on the paint, and suggestions on how to remove this or just live with it? It left a red-brown stain on my paint, or darkened the paint color as the car is orange.

Maybe a more aggressive clay???

southbeach
05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Clay will not remove that. Used Lacquer Thinners, I promise this will work. Be careful with this. Put some on your towel, and lightly wipe the area 2-3 time. If you wipe too hard and too many time, it will take off the clear coat. You can buy this at HOME DEPOT in the paint department. Thanx me later.

jbgrant
05-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Guys,

This car had not been taken care of as it is a daily driver at a rock quarry.

Somebody with more experience is going to answer your questions, but is this car still a daily driver at a rock quarry? Is this car missing windows and full of hail (gravel) dents? I just have this idea of you trying to detail and care for a work car that sees an active war zone everyday! I got a brand new dakota work truck this year as a city employee, took me about 3 weeks to realize it's not going to look nice no matter what I or my DA have to say about it. Suppose it would be great practice though. Best of luck.

XLNTShine
05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
It lives its life in the parking lot but it gets abrasive blasted every time the wind blows and its dry outside!

jbgrant
05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
It lives its life in the parking lot but it gets abrasive blasted every time the wind blows and its dry outside!

I have a friend that works at Raytheon in Tuscon, AZ. His coworker drives a late model Porsche to work every day. To combat the blowing sand, he uses a car cover.... He puts the car cover on without any cleaning of the car.... The grit under the cover polishes his car as the winds make the cover vibrate. He's done this for at least two years now and somehow is failing to observe the consequence. I guess as long as he doesn't see the sand on the car he thinks everything is working out alright; either that or he has one very good detailer with a steady income.

david79z28
05-01-2011, 08:22 PM
In addition to lacquer thinner you might also try a good wax and grease remover that is used for paint prep or even a paint reducer. Be careful though, use in moderation...

ride5150
05-01-2011, 08:54 PM
mike phillips did a nice write up (or at least i think it was him, someone from autogeek at least) on removing paint transfer. im pretty sure he used meguairs scratch-x and just rubbed it. personally ive taken paint transfer off with rubbing compound, came right off.

david79z28
05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Thx ride 5150. I didn't even think of scratch-x or rubbing compound. I have used swirl-x also to remove overspray.

I head straight for the others I mentioned as I have them handy. Compounds, swirl-x, etc might be a better option as you will probably use them more often...

XLNTShine
05-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Sounds good, I will give the compound a try first and see what happens.

SeaJay's
05-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I've also found that the Griots clay is very fine and doesn't seem to work as well as some other clays I've used (IMO of course).

I've removed paint transfer with clay before, but most paint transfer will not come off with just claying.

Mike Phillips
05-02-2011, 09:08 AM
From my article list,

How To Remove Paint Transfer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28170-how-remove-paint-transfer.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/917/PaintTransfer001.jpg

:)

Flash Gordon
05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Clay will not remove that. Used Lacquer Thinners, I promise this will work. Be careful with this. Put some on your towel, and lightly wipe the area 2-3 time. If you wipe too hard and too many time, it will take off the clear coat. You can buy this at HOME DEPOT in the paint department. Thanx me later.

:iagree:

OR

Try a more aggresive clay (red)

OR

Hit it with 3000 grit sandpaper

roguish-desires
05-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I've had good luck using a moderately aggressive compound like 3m's with a lot of elbow grease. Depending on clearcoat hardness this step usually requires a follow up with a finishing polish before the lsp.