PDA

View Full Version : Natty paste wax (red)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Y2KSVT
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey guys. I bought a small tub of Natty's (red) paste wax last year and used it a couple of times. After just one use, the wax in the tub cracked and broke into about 3 pieces. My question is whether there is any way of melting it and letting it cool, so it forms into one solid piece of wax. I'd like to be able to take it out of the tub to wipe onto my pads, but it just tends to crumble. How are you applying your Natty's paste wax?

Mark

Emm
05-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I use a plastic putty knife, my Natty's red broke up too.

jbgrant
05-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Hey guys. I bought a small tub of Natty's (red) paste wax last year and used it a couple of times. After just one use, the wax in the tub cracked and broke into about 3 pieces. My question is whether there is any way of melting it and letting it cool, so it forms into one solid piece of wax. I'd like to be able to take it out of the tub to wipe onto my pads, but it just tends to crumble. How are you applying your Natty's paste wax?

Mark

I don't have experience with Natty's, but if any of my wax looks like that it goes into the trashcan. I've found some tubs don't reseal well and the solvents leach out of the wax and volatilize out. I'm pretty sure you are not going to get good performance from a wax that has lost the compounds that keep it from hardening no matter what you do to it, but somebody here might have found a way. Good luck, but probably not worth the effort.

You could try to preserve your wax better by using clear food wrap plastic. Just take a square of it and push it down into the tub displacing the air and leave enough overhanging the edges of the tub so that the plastic becomes a seal for the lid. I do this with paint in paint cans and it works great, might not work with all styles of wax containers.

James K
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Double boilers work great for this. Place the tub in the double boiler and let it melt slowly. It will reform.

Y2KSVT
05-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't have experience with Natty's, but if any of my wax looks like that it goes into the trashcan. I've found some tubs don't reseal well and the solvents leach out of the wax and volatilize out. I'm pretty sure you are not going to get good performance from a wax that has lost the compounds that keep it from hardening no matter what you do to it, but somebody here might have found a way. Good luck, but probably not worth the effort.

The problem is, the wax was already cracked when I received it so I didn't think there was any problem. But when I tried to spread it, it just fell apart into 3 chunks. It doesn't really feel dry because it tends to melt a little with just the warmth of my fingers. I just wasn't sure if it would form into one solid block if I melted it and let it set back up.

Mark

Flash Gordon
05-01-2011, 04:31 PM
The problem is, the wax was already cracked when I received it so I didn't think there was any problem. But when I tried to spread it, it just fell apart into 3 chunks. It doesn't really feel dry because it tends to melt a little with just the warmth of my fingers. I just wasn't sure if it would form into one solid block if I melted it and let it set back up.

Mark

There is nothing wrong with your wax. All carnubas do this

Double boilers work great for this. Place the tub in the double boiler and let it melt slowly. It will reform.

I have a friend that does this to his ^ I chunk mine, as its super cheap and my wife won't allow that sort of behavior on her stove

BobbyG
05-01-2011, 04:32 PM
The problem is, the wax was already cracked when I received it so I didn't think there was any problem.
Mark

Mark,

If it came to you like this maybe a little call to Autogeek's customer service is in order here. They will make it right...

Or you can remelt it like some mentioned here...

JSMet
05-01-2011, 04:39 PM
I had the same problem with a tub of Natty's Red I bought. It didn't crack into sections, but it "flakes" when I use a putty knife to scoop a piece out of the tub to apply it to a finishing pad. I've been picking up the pieces of wax with my fingers and rubbing it onto the pad. I thought it might have been the characteristic of the wax as opposed to having a bad individual tub, because it seemed new and fresh, and it gave a great shine. I have never tried to melt it down and solidify it, personally I would just use the individual pieces themselves.

Flash Gordon
05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I had the same problem with a tub of Natty's Red I bought. It didn't crack into sections, but it "flakes" when I use a putty knife to scoop a piece out of the tub to apply it to a finishing pad. I've been picking up the pieces of wax with my fingers and rubbing it onto the pad. I thought it might have been the characteristic of the wax as opposed to having a bad individual tub, because it seemed new and fresh, and it gave a great shine. I have never tried to melt it down and solidify it, personally I would just use the individual pieces themselves.

I always prefer doing a hand job with my carnubas :)

BobbyG
05-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Bad, Bad, Bad!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kb2ehj
05-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Mark

This is common with the Natty waxes. Nothing is wrong with the wax.

As M.P. Cobra Fan said, slowly remelt the wax in a DOUBLE BOILER. Do not use the microwave or single pot of water.

I PMed Poorboys last year on the is subject and they are the ones that told me it was ok to remelt the product using the double boiler method. The did say to use extreme caution however since the product does contain some petroleum distalites (sp)

If you don't want to remelt, the product will still work as advertised.

Both my Blue and Red look fine now btw

Mark

James K
05-01-2011, 06:23 PM

Lol! I actually prefer to put carnuba wax on with my bare hands. It's therapeutic.

kb2ehj
05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Lol! I actually prefer to put carnuba wax on with my bare hands. It's therapeutic.

Being in the military, aren't you not supposed to tell us that stuff? (Don't ask, Don't tell)?

LOL

James K
05-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Lol! Um. You read nothing.

kb2ehj
05-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Lol! Um. You read nothing.

LMAO

Good.....What happens between a man and his wax is his own business.