PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Full-size Boars Hair Brushes?

jbgrant
05-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Having spent an hour reading over every post with brush or boars hair in the title, I just can't believe that nobody is making a super-soft synthetic brush of some kind. Anybody professionally use a poly brush in place of a boar/hog hair for light washing of painted surfaces? Perhaps you use a non-brush cleaning head on an extension wand (microfiber, sponge, ??)? On vans, trucks, and SUVs they can be a back saver.

I use a set of fine polyester 4-way brushes shaped similarly to the 3-way montana brush Montana Original Tri-Angle Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush & Telescopic Handle (http://www.autogeek.net/trbohawabrte.html). Unfortunately I don't know the make, but I purchased them because they were softer to the touch and better feathered than any poly brush I have previously owned. They are flow-through but I never use that method. As far as technique: 1) I use them with zero added pressure, the weight of the brush is all on horizontal surfaces, 2) never use a rotating motion, 3) pull them in one direction and glide them across the paint, 4) use high lubricity soap and a lot, 5) I use the two bucket method and rinse very often, 6) do not use them ever on a car with perfectly corrected paint, and 7) always rinse or pressure wash the vehicle first.

I understand a lot of forum members believe no brush is worth the risk on paint.

Flash Gordon
05-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I use a Wal-Mart blue synthectic brush all the time to remove bugs. There is no ill effect. Don't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

jbgrant
05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Nobody else has a long-reach wide-body washing tool to recommend as an alternative to wild pig hair? !

Flash Gordon
05-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Nobody else has a long-reach wide-body washing tool to recommend as an alternative to wild pig hair? !

I only know of one other place. Their brush is made of wild monkey butt hair. Its very expensive though. If you want the link, let me know :)

jbgrant
05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Haha, thanks Flash!