PDA

View Full Version : prepping the paint for sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

93fox
05-01-2011, 12:11 AM
so here is my main concern... what do most of you guys do before applying a sealant? in the past the majority of time i just go ahead and apply it right after finishing with a glaze or polish but after joining here ive learned that alot of you guys do some sort of a wipe down or wash with a specific product to further clean the paint and remove any oils left from a glaze or polish so the sealant can adhere properly. will just washing the car help? such as using duragloss 901 and then drying and progressing to applying the sealant? OR doing a wipe down with wax & remover or Mineral spirits or IPA? for those that do a wipe down with ipa prior to applying a sealant, what degree IPA do you use and at what ratio? any help would be very much appreciated A LOT guys!
:hungry:

93fox
05-01-2011, 12:38 AM
anyone? :dunno:

C. Charles Hahn
05-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Dude... it's past 1:30 AM on a Sunday morning. Patience is a virtue!

Or, failing that, there's the search function....

john b
05-01-2011, 12:45 AM
you could use a paint cleaner or a aio like polyseal

embolism
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
wash the car or use 10-20% IPA wipedown

my car is black so no IPA for me...

93fox
05-01-2011, 12:51 AM
wash the car or use 10-20% IPA wipedown

my car is black so no IPA for me...
i guess ill stick to a wash! since the car is black too! thanks for the input!

93fox
05-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Dude... it's past 1:30 AM on a Sunday morning. Patience is a virtue!

Or, failing that, there's the search function....

as you can see there has been some who have actually helped... i dont see your reason for posting if you are going to make comments like those...

john b
05-01-2011, 02:10 AM
i still think you could use a aio to remove oils maybe someone else will chime in as we all have different ways we like to do things- i think also gg has a spray prewax solution mark talked about before also

Matt
05-01-2011, 03:41 AM
I either wash with a strong mix of Meg's NXT shampoo (I've heard that DP Xtream foam in high strength is also good for stripping LSP's and polishing oils, but never tried it myself), or I use a paint cleanser that's compatible with sealants.

brawl
05-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Are glazes generally compatible with sealants? Like Meguiars "pure polishes" with FK1000P, KSG, Opti-Seal, WGDG 3.0, Ploi-Seal, etc.

silverfox
05-01-2011, 04:44 AM
There is a killer glaze that actually is used prior to a sealant that actually enhances the bonding with any sealant and it makes the paint pop like no glaze I've ever used before I discovered ...Extreme EZ Creme Glaze from Chemical Guys. I have no words to describe how good this glaze makes your paint pop plus it has the added benefit of bonding with any sealant or wax. It strips the polishing process of polishing oils. Polish then apply this glaze then apply your sealant. No IPA necessary. It's not a classical glaze like what you've used before.

BobbyG
05-01-2011, 06:11 AM
There is a killer glaze that actually is used prior to a sealant that actually enhances the bonding with any sealant and it makes the paint pop like no glaze I've ever used before I discovered ...Extreme EZ Creme Glaze from Chemical Guys.

Hmmmm, that's interesting, I may just have to try some....:props:

JSMet
05-01-2011, 07:30 AM
I've had that experience with Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze too. It is unlike the other glazes I've used up to this point. It seems to really amp up the shine and make the metalflake "pop". I'm glad I tried it.

James K
05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Hmmmm, that's interesting, I may just have to try some....:props:

Damn, I was going to send you some in your care package, but ran out of sample bottles.

watson1000
05-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I just did a search for Chemical guys ez creme glaze on ag store , can't find it ???