PDA

View Full Version : m105 substitute plus pad

Pages : [1] 2

jamores23
04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
ok so I am looking for something that has more working time than 105 when being used with a rotary. It seems to be drying WAY to fast when I use it with the purple foam wool pad and it doesnt give me any correction really (the mf pad on my DA with m105 gave me ALOT more cut and working time and I loved it)
I am looking for a better wool pad also. any suggestions?

arenared
04-30-2011, 12:55 PM
You might consider Meguiars Ultimate Compound, polishing compound, rubbing compound, meguiars rubbing compound, meguires, meguiars polish, auto compound polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html) The cut is similar but not as high as 105, but it is SMAT (non-diminishing) and is cheap, too. It has a VERY long working time. I have not used it with a rotary, but by observations are using DA.

93fox
04-30-2011, 01:03 PM
ok so I am looking for something that has more working time than 105 when being used with a rotary. It seems to be drying WAY to fast when I use it with the purple foam wool pad and it doesnt give me any correction really (the mf pad on my DA with m105 gave me ALOT more cut and working time and I loved it)
I am looking for a better wool pad also. any suggestions?

Are you priming the pad prior to begin working?

Lasthope05
04-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I like using 3m wool pads as they are a very aggressive pad. Schlegel's also offers a wool pad that is pretty good also.

I have no experience with them, but I've heard people were getting great results with the Tufbuf black lampswool pads. I hear they have great cut, finish extremely well of a wool pad, and doesnt shed any fibers or very little.

A nice alternative to M105 is M95. Same cut as M105, but has a pretty long working time and is much more user friendly. It's my goto when its hot out. It doesnt finish as well as M105 but it doesnt matter since you should always be following it up with a polish anyways.

weavers
04-30-2011, 01:21 PM
You might consider Meguiars Ultimate Compound, polishing compound, rubbing compound, meguiars rubbing compound, meguires, meguiars polish, auto compound polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html) The cut is similar but not as high as 105, but it is SMAT (non-diminishing) and is cheap, too. It has a VERY long working time. I have not used it with a rotary, but by observations are using DA.

I agree. megs UC is a great product. almost no dust and works every time with lake country orange pad/hydro blue pad or try surbuff pad. I only have DA experience.

if you wanna keep using m105 try the kevin brown method. search on google, but he uses a quick detailer and sprays the pad then puts 3drops of m105. or you can add baby oil to the m105 bottle and it won't dust as much and will have a longer working time.

fredcandetail
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Menzerna and LC pads

jamores23
04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I was thinking about power gloss. but im still stuck on which wool pads to get, Is there a small wool pad as well? Maybe like a 3 in for tight areas?

dasilvaa
04-30-2011, 07:48 PM
I only work on my own and family cars and I really like - Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

I recently used it on a family's members Chevy sedan and it worked well at removing rubbed on paint. I was also amazed at how much better (imo) the Chevy clearcoat was as compared to my two Honda's.

:iagree:

jamores23
04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
fox, yes I am priming my pads

93fox
04-30-2011, 09:02 PM
fox, yes I am priming my pads
that just seems wierd. working outside in the heat also diminishes the working time of m105 from my experience.

jamores23
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
i am working in my garage during the day and it was reading 96 F in there and then it rained for 20 minutes and the sun came back out and the humidity was out of this world. I wonder if hell is cooler?

93fox
04-30-2011, 09:51 PM
i am working in my garage during the day and it was reading 96 F in there and then it rained for 20 minutes and the sun came back out and the humidity was out of this world. I wonder if hell is cooler?

hey man i feel you, i live in texas. the only personal tip i can give you is give a shot at baby oil. i know i will get stones thrown at for saying this, but it worked great for me. its been nearly 4 months since i wetsanded down a WHOLE car outside, and buffed outside. it was hell, it was my 2nd time using a rotary and i did an awesome job for having no experience. what i did since i was working out side, i threw in a little baby oil to my pad and it made m105 look like ultimate compound. Long working time and same cutting ability. i having no experience OVER used the baby oil. i found out that it only takes literally a drop or two for it to make m105 more friendly. it worked great for me, i read the HUGE thread that using baby COULD, listen carefully, COULD cause paint swelling. Now i am no expert and wont argue with is, but it has not caused ANY paint swelling since i did it. can it cause paint swelling? im sure it can but i dont know the circumstances it would take in order for the paint to swell. i got scared since i do admit i over used it when i and thought i was going to get paint swelling but nothing SO FAR! i have been always keeping check and everything looks perfect. i will continue using the baby oil ONLY when m105 is giving me a hard time, i have used it many times working perfect but the times i have used baby oil is because m105 is really acting up. give it a shot, try the corner of the bumper on your car or if you have a test panel laying around and let us know what you think. this whole baby oil thing was posted by a Lasthope05, so if you want to ask him further questions about his trick feel free to ask him. :xyxthumbs:

PorscheGuy997
05-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Have you tried M86 Solo before?

The work time is long, cut is pretty good and you don't have to mess with adding oil.

Lasthope05
05-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Seeing as though you missed my post I'll post it again. The tufbuf wool pads I talked about come a variety of sizes all the way down to 2" and M95 is exactly the same as M105 except its cheaper and is much more user friendly and great in hot humid weather.

I like using 3m wool pads as they are a very aggressive pad. Schlegel's also offers a wool pad that is pretty good also.

I have no experience with them, but I've heard people were getting great results with the Tufbuf black lampswool pads. I hear they have great cut, finish extremely well of a wool pad, and doesnt shed any fibers or very little.

A nice alternative to M105 is M95. Same cut as M105, but has a pretty long working time and is much more user friendly. It's my goto when its hot out. It doesnt finish as well as M105 but it doesnt matter since you should always be following it up with a polish anyways.

sulla
05-01-2011, 12:03 PM
hey man i feel you, i live in texas. the only personal tip i can give you is give a shot at baby oil. i know i will get stones thrown at for saying this, but it worked great for me. its been nearly 4 months since i wetsanded down a WHOLE car outside, and buffed outside. it was hell, it was my 2nd time using a rotary and i did an awesome job for having no experience. what i did since i was working out side, i threw in a little baby oil to my pad and it made m105 look like ultimate compound. Long working time and same cutting ability. i having no experience OVER used the baby oil. i found out that it only takes literally a drop or two for it to make m105 more friendly. it worked great for me, i read the HUGE thread that using baby COULD, listen carefully, COULD cause paint swelling. Now i am no expert and wont argue with is, but it has not caused ANY paint swelling since i did it. can it cause paint swelling? im sure it can but i dont know the circumstances it would take in order for the paint to swell. i got scared since i do admit i over used it when i and thought i was going to get paint swelling but nothing SO FAR! i have been always keeping check and everything looks perfect. i will continue using the baby oil ONLY when m105 is giving me a hard time, i have used it many times working perfect but the times i have used baby oil is because m105 is really acting up. give it a shot, try the corner of the bumper on your car or if you have a test panel laying around and let us know what you think. this whole baby oil thing was posted by a Lasthope05, so if you want to ask him further questions about his trick feel free to ask him. :xyxthumbs:

hi fox can you lecture me on 'paint swelling' ?