PDA

View Full Version : Wash Question

Camryguy
04-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi All,
Well, the weather finally broke enough here in Ohio for me to give the Camry it's first "drive way" wash. I have been a loyal Griots Garage customer for many years until I came across AG.
I purchased the Forum Favorite several weeks ago and have used everything in to great satisfaction. I used GG's carwash and used the leaf blower drying method for the first time(loved it) but when drying the rest of the water with a GG mf towel it seemed the surface of the paint was not as smooth as before the wash. I then went over the entire car with Pinnacle Crystal Mist and all seems well. I am wondering if the car wash had something to do with it??? Any ideas. The car has been glazed and polished with the Klasse twins and Pinnacle Souveran carnauba wax about 3 months ago. Should I be looking for another car wash, I have a gallon of GG car wash still left. Thanks for any help.

James K
04-29-2011, 06:52 PM
So it has been three months since the car was waxed with Pinnacle Souveran? That is a pretty good run. You probably just need to apply another coat of wax.

Finemess
04-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey Cameryguy, I also have a gallon of the Griots car wash and love it. Never noticed it to cause drag when drying. Could it be something on your MF? I mix at 1 oz. per 2 gallons. Long time Griots user also. Welcome to AG.

embolism
04-29-2011, 07:07 PM
this is the first driveway wash but is it the first wash? Maybe you went through some automatic washes? You mention the weather hasn't been good so that is not the ideal environment for Souveran durability. In fact, I'd be really surprised if Souveran lasted more than 1 month under adverse weather conditions.

Everyone loves the look of the wax but it's not the most durable.

In a nutshell, I don't think your car wash stripped it b/c it probably wasn't there to begin with (the KSG was probably still there though).

Dr Oldz
04-29-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't there is anything wrong with the carwash. Shampoos adds lubricity. When you were washing, the smooth feeling most likely came from the shampoo. You said that the weather just broke! Sounds like you just need a good claying, polishing and reapplication of your favorite LSP!

Camryguy
04-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all the replys, no automatic car washes, just the touch less ones when it was too cold to do it at home. It has been very,very wet here.
Will apply a new coat of wax today.
Thanks Again

BobbyG
04-30-2011, 06:02 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say that not all the surface contaminates were removed during the wash stage. After applying and wiping the Crystal Mist did the towel appear to be soiled of dirty?

Seeing that it's been many months through a tough winter I would start off with a wash then clay the entire cay. I suspect there's still plenty of surface contaminates that remain embedded in the paint.

I'm sure that the products you used protected the paint to a degree but springtime after a long winter in Ohio is the best time to clay the entire finish including the windshield..

MRKensRT
04-30-2011, 07:22 AM
I would start the spring off right with a clay bar.....:props:

Camryguy
04-30-2011, 02:48 PM
She has been flayed and waxed,all better now. Thanks.
The wife's Rav4 is next this afternoon. Will be tired but well worth it.

Camryguy
04-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Sorry she has been clayed and waxed. iPad wants to spell check.

James K
04-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Flaying a car is kinda dangerous.

LOL.

embolism
04-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the replys, no automatic car washes, just the touch less ones when it was too cold to do it at home. It has been very,very wet here.
Will apply a new coat of wax today.
Thanks Again

those touchless washes are hard on your lsp

to get your car clean without touching it, the soaps are quite strong. Some of the more durable sealants could probably handle a few touchless washes but Souveran likely wouldn't.

I think Souveran is more of a summer lsp. Winter calls for the big boys like the Collinites and most sealants...