PDA

View Full Version : My mobile setup

Pages : [1] 2

mpm
04-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Its basic but has everything I need to service my customers. Between the totes in the back seat of truck I keep my polisher, pads, headlight restore kit and Bissel LGM. Everything I need to make a paycheck is in my truck.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/fprep2ndgenrx7/P1060804.jpg
From left to right, ladder, generator, vacuum, buckets and pump setup. Milk crate behind vacuum has assorted brushes and mitts.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/fprep2ndgenrx7/P1060803.jpg
My chemicals. The spray bottles on the outside edge get used the most. A gallon of ONR and other assorted cleaners also stored in here.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/fprep2ndgenrx7/P1060806.jpg
Microfiber towel for cleaning and drying and such
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/fprep2ndgenrx7/P1060805.jpg
Close up of the water pump, hose and electric pressure washer.

ShineTimeDetail
04-30-2011, 07:29 AM
What kind of pump is that. What are the specs? How do you run it?

BobbyG
04-30-2011, 07:37 AM
You're absolutely right, everything you need right at your fingertips! I like the water tank and pump assembly. Not that it maters but is the pump 12 volt or does it plug into your generator and run on 110 volts?

Very organized and I'll bet it's working well for you..

Thanks for the photos! :props:

brickbrad
04-30-2011, 08:18 PM
What do you do for reclaiming your water?

mpm
05-01-2011, 07:45 AM
What kind of pump is that. What are the specs? How do you run it?

Pump made by shurflo. It is a 12V. Not sure on the specs. You can usually find an assortment of pumps at any RV camping supply store. Cost me $99.99

What do you do for reclaiming your water?

ONR is my primary means of washing. I'm in NE Alabama so no water runoff laws for car washing. I do make sure my water runoff is aimed at a spot of grass or a planter. No storm drains.

You're absolutely right, everything you need right at your fingertips! I like the water tank and pump assembly. Not that it maters but is the pump 12 volt or does it plug into your generator and run on 110 volts?

Very organized and I'll bet it's working well for you..

Thanks for the photos! :props:

The pump is 12V and I run it off the battery sitting behind the pressure washer. The generator does have a 12V outlet which I'm thinking about utilizing so I can get rid of the battery. Or another option is to use one of the 12V outlets in the truck.

Thanks. It does very well for me as long as the sun is out. It allows me to make anywhere from $120 to $200 a day on a regular basis. Occasionally a little more.

fredcandetail
05-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Much love for doing whatever is necessary to get started but if I saw your set up I would expect average results and I'd better get a fair price...
Now if you had a trailer or a van then I'd know you were a professional and had invested the proper coin to get going.
I only say this as I have FIRST HAND seen folks in my area who are fly by night detailers with similar set ups out of the backs of there pickups and when I get the call from folks shopping and want tk cry about price I rip em a new one!
I have a small enclosed 5x8 trailer, 100 gallon tank, gas pressure washer, rack with 10 spray bottles, extractor, reel and generator
I then have a 24"x36" bin that I put 32oz of 105,205,151 and whatever LSPs I have plus MFs etc
For me my shop (trailer) is wide open for the world tk see and I want tk keep it as minimal as possible.
Just my two cents

ShaunD
05-01-2011, 08:19 AM
That did come across a little judgmental. Don't forget he said he's in NE AL, so maybe expectations aren't as high on detailers there as they are in other places. And in the south people usually judge you by your work and your word, not the trailer you haul your stuff in.:) It's all the same setup-wise as long as you get the job done and produce quality results. I am sure as he gets the money mpm will upgrade to a more "professional" detailing setup.
Good job mpm getting yourself going and out there for business. What size is your water tank? Do you ever run low? Doing ONR probably helps save a lot of water.

hemi ram55
05-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Great setup MPM! I pretty much do the same out of my truck. I have not run across anyone who thinks i would do a fair job and expect a fair price. They dont care what you pull up in. All they care is about the work! In fact i have had a couple people ask tell me to keep it in the truck after i tell them im thinking about moving to a trailer. A lot of eco nuts out there lol! Why waste the extra gas if you can keep good organization in a truck. Hey, thats why we bought trucks in the first place right! Id say the truck is fine as long as its clean and looking good pulling to the job. If you pull up looking like you just had a run in with the dukes of hazzard, then i could see where that might make some people question your work. Love the setup though. might have to steal some ideas lol.

mpm
05-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Much love for doing whatever is necessary to get started but if I saw your set up I would expect average results and I'd better get a fair price...
Now if you had a trailer or a van then I'd know you were a professional and had invested the proper coin to get going.
I only say this as I have FIRST HAND seen folks in my area who are fly by night detailers with similar set ups out of the backs of there pickups and when I get the call from folks shopping and want tk cry about price I rip em a new one!
I have a small enclosed 5x8 trailer, 100 gallon tank, gas pressure washer, rack with 10 spray bottles, extractor, reel and generator
I then have a 24"x36" bin that I put 32oz of 105,205,151 and whatever LSPs I have plus MFs etc
For me my shop (trailer) is wide open for the world tk see and I want tk keep it as minimal as possible.
Just my two cents

Your two cents worth is noted. And you are assuming way to much.

I get judged by the quality of work that I do, not what my truck looks like. I do have plans to get a van or some such vehicle later but right now I'm happy as everything pictured is paid for.

Your setup sounds nice. If thats what your customers have to see to be happy, good for them. My small town customers are suprised that I don't need to take their car somewhere to clean it and then bring it back. My insurance policy doesn't cover me driving their vehicle. I can back my truck up to their vehicle and go to work. They like it.

I could go on but I'll restrain myself.

fredcandetail
05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
My bad if that came across judgmental I was trying to be as candid and honest as possible.
I will be the first to say that when I first started doing washes out of my new 05 pick up truck that I went in pitching my services at Office plexes, fleets etc the first thing I was asked was WHAT DO YOU USE AND SHOW IT TO ME and when I went out to show them my truck they were not impressed at all ... In detailing image is everything is all I'm trying to say
That is of course if your the fly by night car wash detailer who is unemployed or between jobs looking to make a quick buck

Mike Phillips
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Everything I need to make a paycheck is in my truck.

Nice set-up.

I'm a big believer in using what you have.

I've used all kinds of cars to haul my detailing supplies to my customer's location, mostly pre-76 Blazers as I've had 4 of them now, but also my Milk Truck, my 59 Cadillac, my 74 260Z and a few more..

A great looking van, or mobile detailing trailer does in fact show an aspect of seriousness and professionalism especially with good signage but at the end of the day, it's the quality of the work you do that turns into word-of-mouth advertising that's most important.

If you do great work your customers are going to remember that first.

:xyxthumbs:

C. Charles Hahn
05-01-2011, 11:57 AM
74 260Z

I bet that was fun! And a tight squeeze...

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/74_Datsun_260Z_dsfrnt-500x374.jpg

Case in point though of what you are getting at is Scottwax (Scott Hair) -- not only is he one of the best known detailers on the internet, but he's operated his business out of a Honda Accord or Nissan Maxima for many many years successfully.

Just goes to show you that the form factor of a detailing rig is one of the least important things about a successful mobile detail business. Knowing how to use your rig -- in whatever form it may be -- effectively is the real key. As long as your workflow works for you, that's all that matters.

mpm
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
My bad if that came across judgmental I was trying to be as candid and honest as possible.
I will be the first to say that when I first started doing washes out of my new 05 pick up truck that I went in pitching my services at Office plexes, fleets etc the first thing I was asked was WHAT DO YOU USE AND SHOW IT TO ME and when I went out to show them my truck they were not impressed at all ... In detailing image is everything is all I'm trying to say
That is of course if your the fly by night car wash detailer who is unemployed or between jobs looking to make a quick buck

No problem. I was a little insulted at first but then my truck is in need of a paint job. Hard to make it look good no matter how clean it is. I do plan by the end of the year to get a ford transit van. One of the small ones with a 4 cylinder engine. Better fuel economy and billboard advertising potential

Nice set-up.

I'm a big believer in using what you have.

I've used all kinds of cars to haul my detailing supplies to my customer's location, mostly pre-76 Blazers as I've had 4 of them now, but also my Milk Truck, my 59 Cadillac, my 74 260Z and a few more..

A great looking van, or mobile detailing trailer does in fact show an aspect of seriousness and professionalism especially with good signage but at the end of the day, it's the quality of the work you do that turns into word-of-mouth advertising that's most important.

If you do great work your customers are going to remember that first.

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks Mike. Words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. I have a small base of regular customers that tell their friends, family and customers about me. I working toward a large base of customers so I won't have to do so much door knocking. Its happening slowly but surely.

mpm
05-01-2011, 12:14 PM
2011 Ford Transit Connect Work Trucks | View Photos, Features & Pricing | Ford.com (http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitconnect-commercial/)

Something like this would work for me.

UK-Matt
05-05-2011, 04:02 PM
quick question about your water pump, you say you run it off the truck, do you leave the engine running or are you able to run the pump with the engine off without it draining the trucks battery?

Thinking about getting one for my mobile set up her in the UK and like the fact its 12v, so i can plug it into the cig lighter plug.