PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Metal Question

pebelanger
04-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Hello, newbie here and to the detailing world. I have a 2010 Ford Focus, everything is from the factory. I have little to no knowledge on the difference between the types of metals on wheels and how to care for them. Can someone shed some light on the type of metal that I'm caring for on a stock Focus and maybe a little of your insight as to making this particular type of metal look as good as it can and be protected? Thanks, look forward to gaining a ton of knowledge on the forums. :xyxthumbs:

Flash Gordon
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Does your Focus have hubcaps? If so, more then likely you have steel wheels

If your rims are a factory silver color, more then likely they are alloy

I've seen carbon fiber wheels too, but not on a Focus

Hope this helps,

Flash

pebelanger
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the response man. I did some more research after I posted and found them to in fact be alloy wheels on my car. Any tips or products anyone could recommend for alloy wheels, or ones you prefer? Thanks.

Flash Gordon
04-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the response man. I did some more research after I posted and found them to in fact be alloy wheels on my car. Any tips or products anyone could recommend for alloy wheels, or ones you prefer? Thanks.

Thats good. Factory alloys always look better on a car then after markets IMO. If you take good care of them, they should last for many years

I personally use Castrol Super Clean. Purple Power works great to. They are both avalible at many retail outlets in your area. Mix 50/50 and clean your wheels only when they are cool to the touch. Never clean wheels hot if you can help it

The APC's you find online will work handsomely too. If your only cleaning your personel car, you may wanna expierment around abit

The only APC I don't recommend is Simple Green. Stay away from that stuff

Good luck and enjoy your new whip,

Flash

forrest@mothers
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
I'd suggest a wheel cleaner made for a factory finish, or a clear coated, rim.

If you want to protect the finish, some have suggested using a synthetic wax. I recommend using a plastic polish since the clear is a plasticized urethane - it'll polish away any minor scratches from road debris. Either one will help prevent the brake dist from sticking to the finish, making clean up easier.

Flash Gordon
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Great point Forrest :props:

pebelanger
05-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys, all good stuff!