PDA

View Full Version : cost effective trim restorer and vinyl convertible top protectant/dressing?

ride5150
04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
im looking for a trim restorer that wont break the bank, ill be using this on customers cars so as long as it makes the trim look better, im happy. ill also use it on vinyl convertible tops.

right now im looking at getting poorboys trim restorer, but its $25 /32oz, if i got a gallon it would be $100:/

any advice?

im also getting a gallon of meguairs water based dressing and their hyper dressing, can i use this on trim and convertible tops too?

first im going to scrub with a vinyl-safe brush and OPC, then ill apply the restorer/protector/dressing.

ride5150
04-28-2011, 03:49 PM
actually, i think im going to get the all-season dressing instead of the hyper dressing.
ill use the water based dressing for interiors, and all season dressing for exteriors (tires, trim, convertbile tops, beliners, running boards)

can you use all season dressing on rubber mats and pedals too? will they get really slippery? what do you use on pedals and mats?

Mike Phillips
04-28-2011, 04:02 PM
For convertible tops, you want a product that will protect the coating the manufacture of the vinyl applies to the vinyl material to seal in the plasticizer oils.

The idea being to maintain this coating and the coating will maintain the vinyl. Kind of like maintaining the clear layer of a basecoat/clearcoat paint job so the clear coat will last in order to protect the color coat.

See this article,

How To Restore and Protect a Vinyl Top using 303 Products (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/31874-how-restore-protect-vinyl-top-using-303-products.html)

You can use the 303 on rubber, plastic, vinyl and even clear plastic windows.

:)

ride5150
04-28-2011, 04:54 PM
For convertible tops, you want a product that will protect the coating the manufacture of the vinyl applies to the vinyl material to seal in the plasticizer oils.

The idea being to maintain this coating and the coating will maintain the vinyl. Kind of like maintaining the clear layer of a basecoat/clearcoat paint job so the clear coat will last in order to protect the color coat.

See this article,

How To Restore and Protect a Vinyl Top using 303 Products (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/31874-how-restore-protect-vinyl-top-using-303-products.html)

thank you for your reply, much appreciated information on the coating.

the only thing that gets me is the price, $60/gallon:/ i guess its not too bad, i really wont be using much, just on trim and stuff like that so the gallon will probably last awhile.

can i use it on interiors as well? will it leave a shine on the dash? can it be diluted? does it have a nasty smell that itll give off if i use it on the interior? it can be used on the clear plastic enclosing the gauge cluster?

i guess if i can use it on interiors then i wont have to buy meguair's water based dressing.

is there anything similar in functionality, but doesnt need to be a miracle product, thatll be more cost effective?

lexol vinylex maybe?

im also slightly worried if i use it on a customers car that has been recently painted and hasnt had time to cure, will it damage paint? (i think both vinylex and 303 are silicone based?)

i apologize for all the questions, but im trying to soak up as much knowledge as i can:P thanks in advance for everything

ride5150
04-28-2011, 05:13 PM

See this article,

thank you for your reply, much appreciated information on the coating.

the only thing that gets me is the price, $60/gallon:/ i guess its not too bad, i really wont be using much, just on trim and stuff like that so the gallon will probably last awhile.

can i use it on interiors as well? will it leave a shine on the dash? can it be diluted? does it have a nasty smell that itll give off if i use it on the interior?

i guess if i can use it on interiors then i wont have to buy meguair's water based dressing.

is there anything similar in functionality, but doesnt need to be a miracle product, thatll be more cost effective?

how about meguairs m40 for convert tops, trim, tonneau covers, bedliners, running boards etc,
water based dressing for interiors
and hyper dressing for tires?