PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's Job - 2 Step Correction and Seal

A.P.A.D.
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Tomorrow ill be working on a 98 mazda sedan. It is in pretty rough shape. The whole passenger side panels are all faded and oxidized(not sure if the previous owners had it sitting out with a car cover but left the passenger side exposed), and the rest of the car has scratches and needs a lil tlc.

my questions are concerning the clear coat failure areas. they are located on the roof of the car and on the A frame. i will be using my pc 7424 with M105 w/yellow LC, then M205 w/white LC, and then seal with M21.

should i tape over the areas with clear coar failure? or will the PC not damage the areas any worse than they are?

i already told the customer that these areas cannot be repaired without a new paint job.

i did a test spot for him last week. i did a 1'x1' section on the passenger side where the gas cap would be if it were on that side. the final outcome was awesome! it looked like a gas cap door there when i was done =)

any feedback on the CCF areas would be greatly appriciated!

BobbyG
04-28-2011, 11:50 AM
should i tape over the areas with clear coar failure? or will the PC not damage the areas any worse than they are?

i already told the customer that these areas cannot be repaired without a new paint job.

i did a test spot for him last week. i did a 1'x1' section on the passenger side where the gas cap would be if it were on that side. the final outcome was awesome! it looked like a gas cap door there when i was done =)

any feedback on the CCF areas would be greatly appriciated!

Once the clear coat has failed there's little that can be done except mechanically repair the section. I'm glad you brought it to the owners attention but I would photograph the area and file it just as a precaution.

As a thought, ask the customer if he'd like you to wet sand and feather in the damaged area to make it look a bit less of an eyesore.

A.P.A.D.
04-28-2011, 08:08 PM
thanks BobbyG.

should i avoid the CCF with the PC and compound though or will it not damage it more?

Crazy Amos
04-28-2011, 09:08 PM
thanks BobbyG.

should i avoid the CCF with the PC and compound though or will it not damage it more?

Yeah, Dont pass over the failed areas. It will not damage that are any more than it already is but your pad will pick up the flaking clear and then scratch the good parts of the panel.

If the spots are large and scattered throughout a panel, I would just leave that area for last then come back and hit it with something that is a pure glaze like M07. It will saturate the ss paint and help it blend with the rest of the car.

If the spot is contained, I would work around it (no taping because it may pull it up) then come back with the glaze. I guess you could cover it with some plastic and tape on the solid parts but I think it's just a waste of time.

This is how I handle the failed areas on my wifes black car and it works well. It will blend the paint nicely but the edges will be visible. Just make sure the owner knows it's not fixed and take pictures of all the failed areas before just to CYA.

A.P.A.D.
04-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Thank you for the advice! :props: