PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rain-x

Pages : [1] 2

kb2ehj
04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Anybody know of a chemical that will remove/break down Rain-X?

I could wait for it to wear off, but I want to do a side by side comparison with another product.

Thank you for your input.

Mark

Flash Gordon
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Clay bar

kb2ehj
04-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Hmm, never thought of that one.

I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Mark

maximus20895
04-27-2011, 03:45 PM
What product are you comparing it to? Aquapel, Stoner's something ( I think they have a rain repellant?)

kb2ehj
04-27-2011, 05:29 PM
What product are you comparing it to? Aquapel, Stoner's something ( I think they have a rain repellant?)

Hi Maximus20895,

Want to do a side by side against Rain-X & Duraglos Rain Repel (#751).

I've always used Rain-X, but last year I got both Rain Repel and also some Aquapel. From what I remember I don't think really either of the last two were all that great. So I decided in the last couple days that maybe a side by side was in order. Only catch is I Rain-X'd the windows only late last week, so I was wondering how to remove it or just wait for it to wear off.

Mark

oldcracker
04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
clay bar didnt work for me
I ended up M105'd it by hand

ScottB
04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
DP Glass Restorer works ...

Old Tiger
04-27-2011, 06:41 PM
clay bar didnt work for me
I ended up M105'd it by hand
M105 or even M205 should do the trick!

DaHen
04-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Some people have been known to use Bon-Ami Polishing Cleanser on windows with success.

prisonerofcs
04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Just drive with your wipers on during a rainy afternoon. Seems to work for me :) I can't get rain-x to last.

-I'd love to see your comparison, I like Duragloss stuff and was considering their rain repellent.

Flash Gordon
04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Just drive with your wipers on during a rainy afternoon. Seems to work for me :) I can't get rain-x to last.

-I'd love to see your comparison, I like Duragloss stuff and was considering their rain repellent.

Windshield washer fluid seems to strip it also

Jeff120
04-27-2011, 09:19 PM
This works for me.
Glass Science Glass Scrub Auto Glass Stripper, glass polish, glass cleaner, glass cleanser, water spot remover (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-scrub-stripper.html)

Blackthorn One
04-28-2011, 03:00 AM

I always get at least 30 days out of Rain X. I've been using it for over 25 years. I apply with firm overlapping circular motion clockwise with two finger pressure and counterclockwise until the glass feels super slick under my fingers and the window stops squeaking as I rub it on with the terry cloth towel. I then wait 15-20 minutes and go over it again to make sure I haven't missed any spots. Then I wait until it has completely dried and then wipe off with wet towel and then buff off with dry towel. I don't even need wipers above 40 mph with Rain X.

I would like to know how well the "BulletProof" glass treatment works compared to Rain X. It is supposed to last a year and virtually prevent chipping, cracking and the sandblast effect from rocks and pebbles, ect.

Matt
04-28-2011, 05:25 AM
This works for me.
Glass Science Glass Scrub Auto Glass Stripper, glass polish, glass cleaner, glass cleanser, water spot remover (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-scrub-stripper.html)

I have a similar product that I get from a local store. That's the only stuff I can get to remove beading from window glass (truly cleans the pores of the glass).

Flash Gordon
04-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Anyone who is purchasing a product thats direct purpose is to remove RainX is getting snookered

Call me crazy if you'd like :surrender: