PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra install

Jeff120
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Once this pollen settles down Im going to install a clear bra on my car. Ive seen mixed reports about this, should I seal the paint before applying the bra, or have it completely free of polish and sealants?

barryscott
04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I have always heard you want the surface free of any wax or sealant.

M0nk3y
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
You want everything stripped. Spray it down with 50/50 Alcohol/Water Mix

If you have a garage and shade...use it.

jbgrant
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I always wax the hood after prep before putting down a clear bra. My first job was about 1.5 years ago and there have not been any issues with the edges lifting. Obviously make sure all the solvent has left the wax/sealant before bra application. I started doing this because I read that it's a worthwhile preventative measure to protect the paint. I don't know how necessary it is, or how often damage actually occurs under a clear bra. It may help a little with the install by aiding lubrication, not sure because I always do it. And yes, a VERY clean environment is needed on light paint and absolutely do not try it in the sun!

FUNX650
04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
You want everything stripped. Spray it down with 50/50 Alcohol/Water Mix

If you have a garage and shade...use it.

:iagree: Definitely. But after, if I may...(Just to add an item of interest)---the area/surface that the clear bra will be covering should be as defect free (swirls, scratches, holograms, etc,) as possible, or to your satisfication.

What is the brand name of your clear bra? Usually, during the install you'll be utilizing that bra vendor's supplied (or their preferred/recommended) liquid media that will be applied to the area to assist in the layout. Stripping the area will allow the above mentioned media to do its job more efficiently.

Good luck with your install--you'll be glad you did!

jpegs13
04-27-2011, 02:32 PM
No sealants, no wax. Clean, bare paint.

Jeff120
04-27-2011, 09:12 PM
See mixed ideas again! LOL.
Its a 3m bra.
I will do any needed correction, which isnt much, need to touch up some rock chips.
My plan is to polish~probably just need some finish polishing
Repair rock chips
Give it a week or 2 to make sure the repaired chips are dry.
Sealant?~still undecided there
Apply bra

Unfortunately I dont have access to a garage. Once the pollen stops flying I will tackle this project.

Does this process make since? Any tweaks?

peterkim27
05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi!

Glad to hear you are installing clear bra. I have been an installer for over 5 years and would love to offer any help!

unfortunately, i think writing it out on the thread would take me too long, but if you PM me I can give you my number and I can let you know how I would go about installing it.

You can also check out my website to make sure I am a good installer! and that I know what I am talking about.

Clear Bra (http://www.clearbrapro.com)

I'm in the Los Angeles area.

- Peter

M0nk3y
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Jeff, while repairing rock chips is ok...be careful.

You want to be level with the paint, if there is any bubbles or defect (from when you do repair the chips) the clearbra will magnify it 10000%