PDA

View Full Version : Optimum spray polish/compound are INCREDIBLE!

Pages : [1] 2

builthatch
04-27-2011, 12:50 AM
i am not interested in doing the much appreciated reviews that appear on here. i detail more as a function of my OCD...out of necessity moreso than as a hobby. i simply need the best stuff to make a vehicle as gorgeous as possible with as little hassle as possible.

up until now, as far as paint polishes and compounds, i've used optimum original formulas or second editions, so to speak. i have a 9227c but stick primarily with my DA. i love the long working times and minimal dusting of the optimum items and using the right pads i get sensational results with my DA.

well, i have been extremely intrigued by the spray items OPT offers and finally took the leap. the jump in performance from the stuff i was using to this is hard to quantify. it's like a whole other world! the cut of the spray compound is incredible, even with a lighter cut pad. it seems like it bites even more than the old hyper. the crazy part is how well it finishes. i have always been impressed with the finishing characteristics of the optimum compounds, that has always been a highlight, but this is wild. then, the polish. it's got some bite!!! of course it finishes like a complete dream, as it should, but it has some legitimate and VERY surprising cut with a white pad. it takes out swirls SO fast, even with a DA. if i had to put a number on how much faster it cuts vs. the old squeeze polish, i'd say 4X as aggressive. serious.

the working time seems almost infinite. i noticed no real dusting at all when i was working or when i did the post-polish ONR wash. i did notice that there is much more heat buildup with these items compared to the previous squeeze versions, and that makes sense, so just be careful. as you get started with these, especially with a rotary, check your work immediately and keep tabs on it until you get used to how it performs on various finishes.

i apply right to the pad. if you have VERY careful and constant trigger control, you can do it without making a mess. it's actually pretty damn precise once you get the hang of it. you'll need a lot less than what you are used to with other polishes, even the previous squeeze versions of optimum stuff.

and...the polish will stain your pads pink, especially white pads, no matter how much you clean 'em. i'm very particular about getting my pads very clean and trying to get the pink out is fruitless and truthfully unnecessary.

so, to sum it up....TRY THIS STUFF. even if you are a DA user, it's amazing.

Dr Oldz
04-27-2011, 01:02 AM
I just tried both out recently. Very good products. The polish finishes down nicely and like u mentioned, the work times are the longest of any I have ever tried!

silverfox
04-27-2011, 04:23 AM
I'm wondering if some of our more experienced users can comment on how optimum hyper polish compares to Wolfgang finishing glaze in terms of the final look. I'm debating which to use prior to applying Opti coat 2.

BobbyG
04-27-2011, 06:29 AM
I don't think I've been unimpressed with any of the Optimum products I've tried to date!! :props:

James K
04-27-2011, 07:11 AM
I am a big fan of the Hyper Spray line. I love the working time and the way they finish.

fredcandetail
04-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Optimum II compound and polish i got from AG blow... Probably from 1999 which is why they were bogo ...and I have two new bottles and two at 75%
As much as Like opt products I might look at this newer version when I'm done with my 105.... If it even compares to it

Setec Astronomy
04-27-2011, 07:55 AM
I just tried both out recently. Very good products. The polish finishes down nicely and like u mentioned, the work times are the longest of any I have ever tried!

I thought someone mentioned there may be a spray version of the finish polish in the works, too.

StoneRaizer
04-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Recently tried out the Spray Compound on a 5.5" orange flat pad to take out a nasty door scratch on my brother's girlfriend's Jeep Commander. It was deep so I couldn't get it completely out but it knocked it down enough that it's hard to see. I noticed a bit of hazing afterwards so I wiped down the spot with some IPA and finished with some Optimum PoliSeal on a black flat pad.

It took a couple of tries to get the spray nozzle just right but once I figured that out application was a breeze.

builthatch
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
one thing i'd like to add, since i can't edit my initial post, is that the price seems steep considering the size of the bottle but you'll find you use much less than normal due to the long working time. it's that much different, imo.

Optimum II compound and polish i got from AG blow... Probably from 1999 which is why they were bogo ...and I have two new bottles and two at 75%

i'm surprised at your feelings. i like both. like i said i have used the older versions for years. i feel both pale in comparison to these new spray products, but are very effective and have the typical OPT features - long working time, low dust and finish well. they are very sensitive to pad though, which is imo actually part of their flexibility. they work well with the pad from the mechanical cut angle. maybe that is what's doin' with your situation. it would be impossible to analyze what pad and finish combinations you are using for it since it probably varies so much, but i'm curious if you are using a rotary or DA with the older stuff?

panthercz
04-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Hyper Polish on a LC Hydro Tangerine pad is a great 1 step process.

Old Tiger
04-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Gotta agree with Bill on all counts! Great products!

Bunky
04-27-2011, 07:09 PM
If these are good, why do you think they are getting the proper raves on the forums?

dougaross
04-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I like the compound but the sprayer sucks big time. Which is worse - dusting or Spraying wet compound all over the place.

builthatch
04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
If these are good, why do you think they are getting the proper raves on the forums?

?

I like the compound but the sprayer sucks big time. Which is worse - dusting or Spraying wet compound all over the place.

haha, you gotta be careful mayne! if you spray slowly and hit spots on the pad, or drag it while spraying to make a circle shape, it won't go anywhere. the first time i used it, i splattered it. from that point forward, i had no problems. nice and neat and used very little product.

dougaross
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
?

haha, you gotta be careful mayne! if you spray slowly and hit spots on the pad, or drag it while spraying to make a circle shape, it won't go anywhere. the first time i used it, i splattered it. from that point forward, i had no problems. nice and neat and used very little product.
To use it the way you suggest, they might as well had a squeeze bottle.