PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the right shine on tires and plastics for the life of me!

Pages : [1] 2

fredcandetail
04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
i'm getting really frustrated here. ... BIG TIME!
used HyperDressing for about 2 years on details, wells and plastics and it was good... tires had a nice sheen to them at 2:1, wells looked good at 3:1 but as i became more passionate about detailing and a rival entered my turf and i began to see his work i wanted a higher glossier shine. I tried M40 and it did well, Endurance Spray BLEW so I was insistent on going solvent based for that really wet look so recently I went with ASD.
Well the 5 times that I have gone to ASD I have been disappointed .... tires seems to soak it up and then it goes flat ... clean wells seem to either soak it or repel it same for plastic running boards and mouldings ... im at the point of frustration :bash:

maybe I need to lower my expectations ... or befriend the rival detailer and see what he uses LOL!

What do you guys use for that stooopid wet as glass look on tires and wells?

Crazy Amos
04-26-2011, 09:57 PM
There was a guy that posted a pic of his F-150 a while back that had some crazy gloss on his tires. If I remember right, he was using something with a three word name like ARO.

Maybe he can chime in.

James K
04-26-2011, 10:01 PM
If I want some crazy shine I use Meguiars Hot Shine Endurance Gel. It browns tires though, so I hate using it. But it is wet looking.

fredcandetail
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
well thats kinda the thing ... ASD looks crazy wet but just for about ten minutes then it gets soaked in and goes to a satin finish .. i tried everything from a direct spray to wiping it on but nada

Dr Oldz
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Megs Hot Shine spray give that shine if applied fairly heavy.

Bates Detailing
04-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Use what made yourself and your customers happy in the beginning. I bought a gallon of tire dressing cause it was much cheaper than what I was using...... but it soaked in quick and sucked like you are talking about...... so I am dishing out the extra dough and going back to the original successful tire shine I used before. Sometimes the extreme wet look isnt the way to go either - even if your rival is going that route. I tell my customers that the product I use doesnt give the tires a "fake" shiney look...... but more a "real" shine look - and no complaints yet :dblthumb2:

Shane731
04-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Pinnacle Black Onyx produces a nice shine if you are going for more than a satin look. Here it is on my old Hankook tires (haven't tried it on my Michelins yet):

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P4230141.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18563/size/big/cat/ppuser/24886)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P4230145.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18567/size/big/cat/ppuser/24886)

Rather pricey at $89.99 for a gallon, but considering I was able to do my tires 4-5 times using a 2 ounce sample (16-20 tires), that means you should be able to do somewhere between 1,024 tires (estimating 8 tires per ounce x 128 ounces) and 1,280 tires (estimating 10 tires per ounce x 128 ounces), or 256-320 midsize sedans. That's an average of $0.28 - $0.35 per car. Again, this is just some rough estimating based on my use with the product and how much product I averaged per tire. I used a foam tire swipe when applying. My advice would be to buy the sample bottle and see how you like it, how it looks, how well it holds up, and how you find application and the amount of product needed to be to your liking. Black Onyx is rather thin and thus spreads very easily. Just some food for thought. BTW, if you need some tire applicators but don't want to fork out the money for the Cobra tire swipes, these are pretty good: No Mess Tire Applicator, tire pad, tire swipe, applicator pad (http://www.autogeek.net/no-mess-tire-applicator.html). I found them at O'Reilly for about $2 a piece. They hold up pretty well and do a pretty good job at spreading the product around.

Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel 2 oz. Sample (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-tire-gel-sample.html)

AeroCleanse
04-26-2011, 11:35 PM
I HATE glossy tires, makes them look amateurish. If one of my clients insists on them I use ASD, might take more than one coat. I prefer the satin look I get from 1z Vinyl Rubber, might try Swissvax Penu next time.

Shane731
04-26-2011, 11:46 PM
I HATE glossy tires, makes them look amateurish. If one of my clients insists on them I use ASD, might take more than one coat. I prefer the satin look I get from 1z Vinyl Rubber, might try Swissvax Penu next time.

I don't typically like glossy tires either - I typically use DP tire gel, Surf City Garage Beyond Black, or Poorboy's Bold N Bright. But I love how Black Onyx smells and applies, so I keep it around for those times when I do want glossy tires. But I usually go with a satin look.

James K
04-27-2011, 07:04 AM
well thats kinda the thing ... ASD looks crazy wet but just for about ten minutes then it gets soaked in and goes to a satin finish .. i tried everything from a direct spray to wiping it on but nada

The gel does not soak in. I rarely use this stuff because I don't like shine. Some people really like it though.

I agree. I hate shiny tires. I use Opti-Bond diluted the most. However, some like that ghetto bling shine, so I keep the Megs on hand. Or the new Mothers Back To Black Tire Shine. That gives a nice shine as well.

FUNX650
04-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Use what made yourself and your customers happy in the beginning.

Good advice given here--I've heard this somewhere: find what you like and use it often.....

I tell my customers that the product I use doesnt give the tires a "fake" shiney look...... but more a "real" shine look - and no complaints yet :dblthumb2:

Another thing you could tell your customers: Most OEM tire manufacturers say to not use any tire dressings--just a thorough cleaning should suffice (ex. 3M Tire & Wheel cleaner, P21S TAW)---but, if one desires to apply tire dressings, make sure they are water-based (PDMS, usually milky in appearance), not solvent-based (DMS, generally clear and with that distinct petroleum distillates odor). [Note: See MSDS].

Shine maybe fine for some, but keeping the overall integrity of the vehicle's 'footprints' for safety's sake is foremost, IMHO.
Then there are the warranty issues to also think aboout.

PAR Detailing
04-27-2011, 07:23 AM
fred,
Have you used wolfgang tire dressing before? I really like it. It gives it a nice gloss if you want it or you can tone it down also. I think youd like the wolfgang. If you want to PM me your address Ill send you a sample. Depending on the vehicle sometimes I think a glossier tire looks better and others a nice satin look makes the car stand out.
Jon

Flash Gordon
04-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Google "your city/state" and "auto detailing supplies" There you should find a distributor that carries blue tire dressing. Its around $25 a gallon. More then likely this is where you competitor is getting their stuff

Armor All Extreme Shine is the best over the counter product I've used. Meguiars Hot Shine use to be nice, but they've changed the formula. Plus, their sprayers suck

If the tires are leaning towards the wore out stage, or if they have been curbed, the shine will be effected. Nothing shines better then a new tire

Good luck in your quest for the shinest tire,

Flash

cutter
04-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Try Eagle One Tire Gel, it has a very high shine...Take care and not to over use or you will get "sling".

Bunky
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Shine maybe fine for some, but keeping the overall integrity of the vehicle's 'footprints' for safety's sake is foremost, IMHO.
Then there are the warranty issues to also think aboout.

Do you have data on tires failing prematurely due to solvent based dressing? You say tire makers do not recommend but wondering about supporting data.