PDA

View Full Version : I don't know enough to make recommendations to friend...

radarcontact
04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
My co-worker just bought a Shelby 500 and he said he would like to use a buffer on it but is scared to "burn the paint". Well, he obviously doesn't know about DAs and today's technology (he's old like me). I don't know enough to make any recommendations though.

Can anyone please make a short list of SUPER-SAFE, SUPER-EASY products to use with the PC that I will suggest to him? Best product isn't the key here, it's EASE of use, and SAFE for the finish that counts. Not trying to correct the paint, etc., just make it shiny again.

(Even an all-in-one-box kit would be okay, I guess)

Thanks!

radarcontact
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
maybe just something like this would be the best way to go:
Meguiars Porter Cable Soft Buff Polishing Kit, Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads, Porter Cable 7424 DA Polisher, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-soft-buff-kit.html)

Dr Oldz
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I feel that the griots DA or porter cable DA along with the Meguiars 5.5 inch DA microfiber kit will fill your requirements.

James K
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
The Meguiars Micofiber DA system is great for newbs, and pros alike.

Pinnacle XMT 360 is a great choice on a white or grey pad.

5.4 Shelby
04-26-2011, 02:24 PM
+2 on the Megs Microfiber DA kit. It is apparently on backorder right now, but, I think probably the easiest for a newbie to learn.

Where does he live? If near me (central Indiana), I would be happy to help a fellow GT500 owner out and get him started on it.

C. Charles Hahn
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
My co-worker just bought a Shelby 500 and he said he would like to use a buffer on it but is scared to "burn the paint". Well, he obviously doesn't know about DAs and today's technology (he's old like me). I don't know enough to make any recommendations though.

Can anyone please make a short list of SUPER-SAFE, SUPER-EASY products to use with the PC that I will suggest to him? Best product isn't the key here, it's EASE of use, and SAFE for the finish that counts. Not trying to correct the paint, etc., just make it shiny again.

Thanks!

Just a thought, but why not suggest that he join the forum here himself? I'm sure plenty of folks would be more than happy to help him out.... :props:

jbgrant
04-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks!

Depends on what you want to spend,
If you wanted to add some gloss very cheaply and safely you could use the stock PC integrated foam pad (white one that falls apart) because it is quite soft (or another soft pad/microfiber) with a very well lubricated fine compound (such as OTC Megs ultimate polish). I worked on a black honda recently and the owner was thrilled at the gloss achieved with that cheap and simple combo. That stuff won't remove any significant imperfections and can be worked for a while. Pretty much screw-up proof.

rwright
04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
What year and color is the Shelby? You stated "to make the car shiny again", what happened or why is it not shiny if it's a late model?

radarcontact
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Let me try a mass response...
Scott is not the kind of guy that would like participating in a forum. I am, he's not.

I think it's a late model Shelby, I haven't even seen it yet. We work opposite shifts and he's not driving it to/from work. He's been looking for a while now, finally found one he could deal on, and bought it. Its blue with white stripes. He wants to make it look new, but doesn't know how. I think he would enjoy doing it himself if he had the right products. And a lot of beer.

That megs kit sounds perfect, but I think I'll just show him this thread and try to help him decide based on whatever budget he comes up with.

Very good stuff guys, much appreciated!