PDA

View Full Version : Favorite colour to detail?

Pages : [1] 2

6LS2
01-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Hey my fellow detailers:awesome:

What's your favorite colour to detail and why?

I love doing black, gives you a challenge and makes you feel best when its finished Im the MAN

Gary Sword
01-04-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't think I have a favorite color to detail. I think black is the easiest to make look good. It's been a while since I had a black car. They look great when they are clean but they sure get dirty fast. To me the car you are detailing makes it more fun. For instance I would rather detail a sports car then a van. For some reason it's just more fun.

P1et
01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm too anal to do black. I can always find an imperfection somewhere. And when the sun hits it, the color always changes from black to dar gray. It drives me BONKERS!

I would say I like gray metallics best. The color is forgiving and with some nice wax you can really make the flakes pop!

supercharged
01-04-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't think I have a favorite color to detail. I think black is the easiest to make look good. It's been a while since I had a black car. They look great when they are clean but they sure get dirty fast. To me the car you are detailing makes it more fun. For instance I would rather detail a sports car then a van. For some reason it's just more fun.

I don't think so. Matter of fact you can every little imperfection, every little marring on it. My girlfriend has a black BMW, and it is PITA to keep swirl free.

Gary Sword
01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't think so. Matter of fact you can every little imperfection, every little marring on it. My girlfriend has a black BMW, and it is PITA to keep swirl free.

Black is diffinately the eastiest to put a good shine and get good relections on. I don't know how so many people always get swirls in their paint. I rarely get any swirls. I have had a couple black cars and never had a problem with swirls or marring in the paint. It does show inperfections in body panels but theirs not much a detailer can do about that.

supercharged
01-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Black is diffinately the eastiest to put a good shine and get good relections on. I don't know how so many people always get swirls in their paint. I rarely get any swirls. I have had a couple black cars and never had a problem with swirls or marring in the paint. It does show inperfections in body panels but theirs not much a detailer can do about that.
Black is the hardest to keep swirl free.

Grimm
01-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't think color matters to me either, but black, dark blue and dark green are my favorite colors that look great when shined up. I'm with Gary though, the car is what would make the difference for me. My old daily driver that I did first was not near as fun as my newer one simply because it was a boring looking car with 11 year old stone chipped/scratched paint. But I agree on how it's easiest to make black look good. Sure black shows imperfections easiest, but only us OCD people notice that stuff. Otherwise black is so easy to make wet and shiny like a mirror compared to other colors. Even with some road grime, I stand back from 10 feet and admire how my car looks compared to most others on the road.

I'm too anal to do black. I can always find an imperfection somewhere. And when the sun hits it, the color always changes from black to dar gray. It drives me BONKERS!

I can see where you are coming from on the black in the sun P1et. My Bonneville is actually like a very very dark brown when you see it in direct sunlight. It bugs me as well since I wanted black, not brown. I did find that out before I bought the car, but I liked the car and decided I could live with it. Being in Michigan it won't be in bright sunlight that often. ;)

nick19
01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Blue, any shade; red, and some yellow's...

Sevenrd
01-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Non-metallic black.

D
01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Black, red, and blue.

ltoman
01-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I think anything you can make a substantial improvement in is cool. I have not yet found that in light colored metallics; then again, I can't make red perfect. Dark metallics turn out nicely - metallic dark green and metallic burgndy.

ScottB
01-04-2007, 03:49 PM

Gary you misread the question. Its NOT "which car looks best when properly detailed" its which is easiest to detail. I can tell you for a fact it is not black. A light metallic is easiest IMO, like silver or gold.

ltoman
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Gary you misread the question. Its NOT "which car looks best when properly detailed" its which is easiest to detail. I can tell you for a fact it is not black. A light metallic is easiest IMO, like silver or gold.

Yah, they are the easiest because it is soo hard to show improvement on them. Our gold wagon is an example. Makes it no fun.

Surfer
01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Silver is the easiest, and it hides swirls and marring good. Some people might say white, but we have two white suv's and they are just as bad as black to take care of. Every little speck to swirl is noticeable.

Gary Sword
01-04-2007, 05:37 PM

What color looks best when properly detailed is an opinion question. There can be no right or wrong answer to that question. If you think it is black that's your opinion. I have had a couple of black cars and from my experience with them they were one of the easiest colors to get a good shine and get nice reflections on. That is what a ment when I said black is the easiest color to make look good. I have been detailing my own cars for and long time. I have had a lot of different cars in a lot of different colors. I always keep my cars in top condition. Black might be a hard color to detail if the paint is really bad but I never let my cars get that way so I will probably never experience that.