PDA

View Full Version : removing stickers and decals

jamores23
04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
how so you properly remove stickers on a car? i have the plastic razor blades but i would think it would scratch the car? I have 3m adhesive remover. Would you soak a terry towel in it then put it on the sticker your trying to remove? how about the badges on the back of the car? how would you remove that? once removed it leaves behind a impression of what was there, how would that be taken off?

Tom Weed
04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
how so you properly remove stickers on a car? i have the plastic razor blades but i would think it would scratch the car? I have 3m adhesive remover. Would you soak a terry towel in it then put it on the sticker your trying to remove? how about the badges on the back of the car? how would you remove that? once removed it leaves behind a impression of what was there, how would that be taken off?

I use a heat gun, get the stickers warm, not hot, and use a plastic razor blade to remove both stickers and emblems. You will probably need to polish the area where the sticker/emblem was and wax.

SeaJay's
04-25-2011, 01:56 PM
You can use a hair dryer too. Doesn't work as fast but does get the glue warm enough that you can usually pull it off. Then some adhesive remover and a plastic razor blade should do the rest.

As for the badges fishing line works pretty good. And some adhesive remover. You will definitely have to polish after though as you will have the badge marks still there. Especially on a dark colored vehicle.

jamores23
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
wouldnt the razor blade scratch the paint? i guess you just have to be very careful with it!

BobbyG
04-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Heat gun on low setting or a hair dryer on high setting. This warms up the adhesive nicely making it "easier" to remove the majority of the sticker so the glue can be dissolved and removed...:props:

jamores23
04-25-2011, 06:17 PM
wouldnt it burn the clear if it gets too hot lol

BobbyG
04-25-2011, 06:42 PM

You can definitely burn the paint with a heat gun but it's highly unlikely with a hairdryer.

jamores23
04-25-2011, 07:56 PM
so i guess hair dryer it is? whats your method bobby

bevans
04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Move the heat gun side to side, don't sit on one spot or you can burn through the paint. But heat the sticker up, and start to peel it back with a plastic razor blade, then u can grab it with your fingers and peel it up. Use some adhesive remover, then polish and wax.

SeaJay's
04-26-2011, 06:27 AM
wouldnt the razor blade scratch the paint? i guess you just have to be very careful with it!

Yes a plastic razor blade will most likely leave some small scratches. But your going to have to polish after anyway (at least I would recommend it). So, as long as your careful and don't gouge the paint you should be good. And do not use a metal razor blade! It will just shave the paint right off.

It can which is why I recommended the hair dryer. It doesn't get as hot, but may take a little longer to actually get the glue pliable. I've never used a heat gun just because I've always had a hair dryer handy.....I like giving myself nice big 80's hair in the morning...lol. Sorry...really I only have one handy because of my gf.

ismaelflores714
11-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Hair dryer best bet rather than heat gun as the hair dryer gets hot but not as hot to the point where it can damage the paint job like a heat gun would. In my opinion heats guns would be a better tool if you would be removing larger decals or vinyl wrap smaller scale hair dryer and a little goo gone

Oh yea I know this is an old thread but didn't think I needed to make a new one since everything in this thread is good advice.