PDA

View Full Version : Using ONR

Pages : [1] 2

rivaladversary
04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I've been using ONR for 2-3 months now and am completely satisfied with the product. However, I do notice that it takes me quite a while to finish washing my car with it. I have a black 2010 Acura TSX. I wash it every week in San Francisco weather so it does not accumulate too much gunk on it. I hear a lot of people finish washing their cars with ONR within 20-30 minutes. Am I doing a lot of unnecessary steps?

Is this a good way?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8z8boxPXw]YouTube - ONR Demo[/video]

I know that Acura paint is very soft so I always hose the car down before using ONR. Should I just trust the product and just simply go over each panel with one or two passes? I tend to do many passes.

Here's how I ONR:
1. Roof
2. Windows
3. Hood
4. Trunk
5. Fenders
6. Doors (Top to bottom)
7. Backside of vehicle
8. Front bumper

Elite Pro
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Looks like you got it down:props:Thats pretty much how I do it....I try to get it dry with as little passes as possible though. I can do my Audi a4 in :30- wheels and all, my Titan on the other hand takes me a wee bit longer

SeaJay's
04-25-2011, 01:38 PM
It seems as though your doing it just fine. I typically do mine a little different...just in terms of what panels I do.

Roof
Hood
Truck lid
Windows and areas around windows. Basically split the car up and from the bottom of the windows to the roof is this whole section.
Then I split the door panels by half. Do the top half on both sides.
Front clip
Then I'll do both sides on the bottom half of the door
Rear bumper

I do it this way since the bottom of the vehicle and the back tend to get the dirtiest. I wouldn't go from top of the door all the way to the bottom. But this is me.

I also will typically do a pre-rinse of the vehicle prior to doing my ONR wash. If it's just like dust then I don't, but if I have the time and can I will.

silverfox
04-25-2011, 01:52 PM
One thing that will really speed up the process...it NOT doing a panel at a time as most people are told to do. The only reason I would do a panel at a time is if I was doing it in the hot sun and I needed to stop washing, and get the water off before I ended up with water drops all over the place...but if you are in shade or its on the cold side, I do the entire horizon surfaces in one session, then dry those...then do all the vertical surfaces, and dry those.

If you get really good at it, you could do the entire car...and let me tell you, when its 30 degrees out...you don't do one panel at a time ...trust me...

rivaladversary
04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I think what consumes a lot of time is having to go to the grit guard too much. My car's dirt buildup compared to that vid I posted is nothing so I suppose that I can trust the product a little bit more and go further with more passes before having to rinse.

I think next time, I'm going to do this:

1. Roof and dry
Rinse
2. Areas around A/B/C Pillars + Side windows
Rinse
3. Other side (Areas with ABC pillars + Side Windows)
4. Dry Both sides
Rinse
5. Windshield and Rear window and dry
Rinse
6. Hood
Rinse
7. Fenders
8. Dry Hood and Fenders
Rinse
9. Trunk
Rinse
10. Upper portion of car on one side
Rinse
11. Upper portion of car on the other side
12.Dry Trunk, and both sides
Rinse
13. Clean Lower Areas of car on both sides
14. Dry both lower areas.
Rinse
15. Front bumper and Back Bumper

Dry

Seems complicated but this may cut it down faster.

Each time I rinse is when I'm going back to the buckets to get more ONR solution on the wash media.

LegacyGT
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
It seems as though your doing it just fine. I typically do mine a little different...just in terms of what panels I do.

Roof
Hood
Truck lid
Windows and areas around windows. Basically split the car up and from the bottom of the windows to the roof is this whole section.
Then I split the door panels by half. Do the top half on both sides.
Front clip
Then I'll do both sides on the bottom half of the door
Rear bumper

I do it this way since the bottom of the vehicle and the back tend to get the dirtiest. I wouldn't go from top of the door all the way to the bottom. But this is me.

I was going to post my process, but fortunately you already typed this up and I use the same steps as you. AKA SeaJay's method ++

Only addition I have is that I use a spray bottle full of ONR wash solution to pre-soak for a few minutes before starting.

Chris Thomas
04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
I think what consumes a lot of time is having to go to the grit guard too much. My car's dirt buildup compared to that vid I posted is nothing so I suppose that I can trust the product a little bit more and go further with more passes before having to rinse.

I think next time, I'm going to do this:

1. Roof and dry
Rinse
2. Areas around A/B/C Pillars + Side windows
Rinse
3. Other side (Areas with ABC pillars + Side Windows)
4. Dry Both sides
Rinse
5. Windshield and Rear window and dry
Rinse
6. Hood
Rinse
7. Fenders
8. Dry Hood and Fenders
Rinse
9. Trunk
Rinse
10. Upper portion of car on one side
Rinse
11. Upper portion of car on the other side
12.Dry Trunk, and both sides
Rinse
13. Clean Lower Areas of car on both sides
14. Dry both lower areas.
Rinse
15. Front bumper and Back Bumper

Dry

Seems complicated but this may cut it down faster.

Each time I rinse is when I'm going back to the buckets to get more ONR solution on the wash media.

I see a "rinse step" between every panel here. The product is designed to not require a rinse...not for a panel...not for the finished car. If you are indeed rinsing, then there is your time waste. You can always keep more than one towel or mitt in the bucket to cut down on GG time and like others have mentioned: you can do larger sections if you are not in the sun or washing hot panels. As far as number of passes, 1-2 is usually fine, but if you still see dirt, keep going over it as needed.

mdb917
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=LegacyGT;456882]I was going to post my process, but fortunately you already typed this up and I use the same steps as you. AKA SeaJay's method ++

Only addition I have is that I use a spray bottle full of ONR wash solution to pre-soak for a few minutes before starting./QUOTE]

Good idea on the 'pre-soak' ONR. What dilution ratio is your spray bottle of ONR?

Elite Pro
04-25-2011, 05:21 PM
One thing that will really speed up the process...it NOT doing a panel at a time as most people are told to do. The only reason I would do a panel at a time is if I was doing it in the hot sun and I needed to stop washing, and get the water off before I ended up with water drops all over the place...but if you are in shade or its on the cold side, I do the entire horizon surfaces in one session, then dry those...then do all the vertical surfaces, and dry those..

:iagree:

bluegoose
04-25-2011, 05:49 PM
You look like you're doing it exactly how I do it. Not sure why it's taking so long, as the section you just did in your video took about 1:50 and that was a whole door/window combo. Seems to me at that pace you should be done in about 30 mins. It takes me about 40-45 mins to do my Tundra but that sucker is big (and I need a ladder) so doing a TSX in 30 mins should be about right but everyone is different. ONR rules, IMHO! //bluegoose//

Chris Thomas
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
You look like you're doing it exactly how I do it. Not sure why it's taking so long, as the section you just did in your video took about 1:50 and that was a whole door/window combo. Seems to me at that pace you should be done in about 30 mins. It takes me about 40-45 mins to do my Tundra but that sucker is big (and I need a ladder) so doing a TSX in 30 mins should be about right but everyone is different. ONR rules, IMHO! //bluegoose//

That's not the OP in the video, that is MSHU7, I recognize the truck and Mike.

bluegoose
04-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Doh! Didn't realize that was someone else. My bad. //bluegoose//

LegacyGT
04-25-2011, 11:07 PM
[
I was going to post my process, but fortunately you already typed this up and I use the same steps as you. AKA SeaJay's method ++

Only addition I have is that I use a spray bottle full of ONR wash solution to pre-soak for a few minutes before starting.

Good idea on the 'pre-soak' ONR. What dilution ratio is your spray bottle of ONR?
Same dilution as the wash. I just fill up a sprayer out of the ONR bucket after I mix it up.

dougaross
04-26-2011, 06:09 AM

A cheaper and more effective solution IMO is to pre-wash with Ultima Waterless Wash at QD strength vs ONR at QD strength. You get greater lubricity with waterless.

SeaJay's
04-26-2011, 06:32 AM

I like the idea of a pre-soak. I may have to give this a try on my next ONR wash.