PDA

View Full Version : Just rear-ended, Bumper being repaired - after care advice?

Cheetah
01-03-2007, 08:59 PM
My car was rear ended at a stop sign today.:mad:
I saw the guy swerving in and out of traffic doing at least 90 behind me for about 2 miles.
I got off at the next exit and here he comes behind me! I was thinking man, he better not hit my car. and then.... BAM!!!!

The rear bumper will be repaired next week. The total damage was $1000.
I think they will be repairing it, replacing the rubber (plastic?) bumper guard trim, painting and putting on a clear coat.:(

This really sucks. Recently all I have been doing is detailing it. It didn't even have one
scratch on it. Really ruined my week.

Can you guys give me some advice on how to care for the repaired area after I get my car back? For example, when would I be able to wax again? Will there be a noticeble difference in the color from the new paint? (red) Can I use spray wax or what?

I need to relax. Pretty stressed out right now.

Surfer
01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I'd like to know what you said to that guy or what he said after you saw him driving like that for a few miles before. Not sure I could have restrained myself. I hate dumba**es like that.

With a repain you want to wait at least 30 days, usually longer on an actual paint job, but for a bumper, 30 days should be more then sufficient to let it fully cure before doing anything.

Truls
01-03-2007, 09:10 PM
1 month is what ive heard after a paint job, but i dont know if that goes for a Wax, but the paint needs to "breath" in the beginning, to fully cure.

The colour should be the same, but it depends on how old your car is, aaaaaaaaaaaaand.......................how good a detaileer you have been in the years you have owned it.

Lets see pics;)

abrcrombe
01-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Man that sucks! I hate people who drive like that... sorry for your pain and let's see some pics if you can.

Cheetah
01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
It's a 2003 BMW 325i.

We were looking at one area of the damage where the bumper had cracks that looked like a spider web and the guy said "that looks like normal sun damage. i'll give you $300 right now to take care of it." I said "Look at my car!! Does it look like there is any @#$%! sun damage on it?" :mad::mad::mad:

Here are some pics taken a couple of days ago.

abrcrombe
01-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow that car glows! Good for you for not backing into his pressure. With a stupid jerk like that, get the insurance involved. His rates need to go up, and hopefully it will slow him down. Male and under 25 I am guessing?

Surfer
01-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Dude I would have gone off on him, how he was driving like a fricken ass beforehand and then hit you....did he not see the bright red beemer in front of him, please don't tell me he said "I didn't see you"...I woulda clocked him for getting cocky like that after how he was driving and then hit you lol.

Didn't you just post pics of your car looking for some new combos to try, think it was Wolfgang topped with Natty's Blue?

Gary Sword
01-03-2007, 09:27 PM
It's a 2003 BMW 325i.

We were looking at one area of the damage where the bumper had cracks that looked like a spider web and the guy said "that looks like normal sun damage. i'll give you $300 right now to take care of it." I said "Look at my car!! Does it look like there is any @#$%! sun damage on it?" :mad::mad::mad:

Here are some pics taken a couple of days ago.

The guy who hit you sounds like an a?s. I hope you got a police report. I have also always heard that it takes about a month for new paint to cure.

Truls
01-03-2007, 09:37 PM
He may have got the shine in his eyes, man that was a RED car.

Cheetah
01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Yup. Male. looked about 22-23 years old.

I said to him "I was stopped here at the stop sign and there's a red light! what's your
problem?" and he said "I thought you were going to go".

I told him I was going to fill an accident report and call insurance and he said that
he would pay the damage no matter what it was. I thought I might have wanted to get
this over quickly and not have my rates go up like my friend who was also rear ended. He has the same insurance company and his rates went up so...
We drove to the most expensive place I know. They do lamborghini's and ferraris etc all the time. He said he would pay the full amount plus $30 a day for my rental. I said ok.
Now that I've cooled down, I'm thinking maybe I should have gone to the insurance.
Oh well, at least it'll be fixed and I'll only be without my car until next Thursday. :mad: