PDA

View Full Version : Hoses Are Too Glossy - Phony Look

phantom
04-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Here is my story. I detailed my engine compartment with too much shine! I will be showing the car where original/as from the factory is very important. I glossed up my hoses with Armor All and also (sigh) WD40. Is there anything that I can do to de-gloss the hoses?

Elite Pro
04-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Optimum Power Clean or APC maybe...?

PAR Detailing
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Try taking a MF towel and spraying an APC on it like Power Clean or apc+ and wiping down the hoses. This might work and you wont have to remove all the dressing and redo the whole engine... unless its all too glossy

tcfatboys
05-31-2011, 04:53 PM
You can use the all purpose cleaner from me'guiars
it leaves a natural finsh.

Do not use it without dilution. A 4 to 1 works fine

or if you have a way to rinse the engine again with hot watter it will work too
then just apply the me'guiars cleaner

this is only for helping you with that extra greasy finish

CrownKote
05-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Step one: THROW OUT THE ARMOR ALL!!!! (not the WD40 but don't use it on your engine to "shine it" remember WD40 is flammable and could cause fire if it gets in the wrong place)
Step two: quick degrease of the engine compartment
Step three: dry
Step four: a WATER BASED dressing lightly misted then wiped down if possible
Step five: Step back and admire

Silverstone
05-31-2011, 07:39 PM
I use 303 on under hood rubber and plastic. Not shiny, just dark and satiny.

Doesn't IPA take this stuff off?

FUNX650
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=CrownKote;476016]

ArmorAll--a much maligned company--the original (but not the original name!) and still the world's leader in dressings and the one most others still try to emulate. The latest version (since at least 2005) ArmorAll Protectant is a water-based dressing (PDMS), the formula changed due to VOC regulations and meeting OEM requirements.

Not saying there aren't better water-based (PDMS) dressings out there--there probably are; but ArmorAll Protectant set the standard. This is also saying that there are probably other products from ArmorAll that do not meet this criteria.

Bob

C. Charles Hahn
06-01-2011, 01:11 AM

ArmorAll--a much maligned company--the original (but not the original name!) and still the world's leader in dressings and the one most others still try to emulate. The latest version (since at least 2005) ArmorAll Protectant is a water-based dressing (PDMS), the formula changed due to VOC regulations and meeting OEM requirements.

Not saying there aren't better water-based (PDMS) dressings out there--there probably are; but ArmorAll Protectant set the standard. This is also saying that there are probably other products from ArmorAll that do not meet this criteria.

Bob

THANK YOU! I get so tired of people still ragging on Armor All for being silicone based junk, when in fact has been totally reformulated. People really need to get with the times.

That said, my only use for Armor All is in wheel wells where it's just going to get dirty again right away. My engine dressing of choice is CD2.

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/IMG_0682.JPG

roguish-desires
06-01-2011, 01:29 AM
There are many choices of APC out there. Zep Citrus from Home Depot, Purple Power from Advance Auto or many other car care stores, Meguiars at Advance Auto, or OPC from Autogeek! :xyxthumbs: All of these should be diluted and will degloss the hoses for a natural look. You can always follow behind with matte finish tire dressing. I've used Otibond diluted 1:1 and really like the satiny look! Sorry no pics at the moment!

Mike Moore
06-01-2011, 03:34 PM
There are a lot of good APC's out there.
I use Simple Green 4:1 to clean the hoses.

I have used Vinylex as a dressing on hoses with good results.

ScottB
06-01-2011, 07:43 PM
303 is water based, matte in look, and no silicones to hold and attract dust. I use it under hood specifically on hoses and plastics.

phantom
06-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Well, here is the status. I cleaned the engine on Sunday with P21S Total Auto. Spent the greater part of the day. Now it looks all clean and UN SHINY! I have Hyper dressing that I am thinking about diluting 4:1. Can anyone comment if this will give me that just off the showroom look (matte) or should I try 303 or something else?

CrownKote
06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
I have never delt with Hyper dressing but I have delt with 303 products a lot... I would use them under the hood let them sit for 30 or so min then wipe down to get that nice natural glow...

This is a BMW 323i that I did and look at the motor I think this may be the way you are looking to go... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/36836-zanny-bimmer-wagon.html#post480576 (look at the last pic on post #4)