PDA

View Full Version : Water spots, HELP!

Rayaz
04-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I just got off the phone with my dejected son. He left his car in an underground garage at his apartment complex (Little Rock) for a 2 week TDY. Got home to find a pipe in the garage leaked water, possibly from the pool, on his car. I had a sprinkler disaster a few years back (long before I knew anything about detailing) and I don't want to give him bad advice. In fact, I had somebody get rid of it so I have nothing. He tried to send pictures but they were not worthy of posting.

He describes the residue as a white, crusty, scale. Any ideas on how to get this off assuming it is hard water/pool water spots? It is on paint and glass.

Feed back please

Bunky
04-24-2011, 06:31 AM
The first trick is to use a 50:50 vinegar water mixture. This should have remove some of the crud.

If the water spots have etched in the paint you will need to consider polishing the paint.

A cleaner wax often can reduce them as well if they are fresh.

If that does not work, you will likely need to use an abrasive type polish to reduce / remove them.

Here is a more indepth discussion.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/33499-3-types-water-spots-type-i-type-ii-type-iii.html

BobbyG
04-24-2011, 06:37 AM
The first trick is to use a 50:50 vinegar water mixture. This should have remove some of the crud.

If the water spots have etched in the paint you will need to consider polishing the paint.

A cleaner wax often can reduce them as well if they are fresh.

If that does not work, you will likely need to use an abrasive type polish to reduce / remove them.

I agree with Al. Do the vinegar trick first and see if it removes the residue. My concern here is what chemicals were used in the pool water?

Go slowly and try not to induce additional damage. Try to determine if the chemicals have truly etched the paint and if so how deep.

How much experience do either of you have regarding paint correction and what do you have at your disposal for polishers and paint correction products?

Rayaz
04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
First, thanks to both of you for the tips. I have some experience with paint correction but he does not. I mean, I have a PC and a Flex. So, like a guy with a $2000 set of golf clubs, I must be good, right?:xyxthumbs:

I did some correction on it when he bought it in Feb but it wasn't worthy of a photo post because we only had one day to work on it and it's white. The awesome correction posts are a little intimidating.

He did wash it immediately when he got home and he said clay took off 95% of the spots. Maybe I'll box up my PC and send it to him along with some of my extensive collection of pads (this is why I call this hobby "the sickness"). He has an AG order under his belt so he can get his own polish! I was afraid of the etching issue but I didn't have the heart to tell him.

:thankyousign:

buddhadog
04-24-2011, 12:17 PM
If the clay removed 95 percent then its very likely just a cleaner wax will do the rest !

Just work it with some pressure and you can probably avoid polishing and sending him the machine.