PDA

View Full Version : Switching Compounds

pfix
04-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I am polishing my 08 Volvo using a GG polisher, Optimum Hyper Compound and a Cyan Hydro-Tech pad. I am able to remove most of the RIDS but there are some stubborn scratches that remain after multiple passes on speed 6 with firm pressure.

I have Megs Ultimate Compound. Can I, or should I switch to the UC and if so can I use the same Cyan pad I have been using with the Hyper Compound if I clean it on the fly with a terry towel and a brush?

kb2ehj
04-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Is it possible these scratches are to deep for compounding and need to be wet sanded out?

Mark

pfix
04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Is it possible these scratches are to deep for compounding and need to be wet sanded out?

Mark

Could be, I cant feel the scratches but even with the Ultimate Compound on a fresh Cyan pad i cant get some of them out. I am saying uncle on this one. I have worked on the hood for 2 hours and i think is it is good as going to get.

Perfections
04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Could be, I cant feel the scratches but even with the Ultimate Compound on a fresh Cyan pad i cant get some of them out. I am saying uncle on this one. I have worked on the hood for 2 hours and i think is it is good as going to get.

Sometimes it better to deal with seeing a mild scratch vs taking off so much of your cc, remember it's not that thick! Lol

pfix
04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Sometimes it better to deal with seeing a mild scratch vs taking off so much of your cc, remember it's not that thick! Lol

I get the feeling that this car has some pretty hard paint. It is much better than when I started but overall It was disappointing that I could not get more of the scratches out.

I would have liked to have the Megs MF pad to try.

Anyone have experience with late model Volvo clear?

Perfections
04-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry I haven't polished/compound a late model volvo only waxed :(

pfix
04-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Here is a photo of the hood after compounding and before polishing. You can see the scratch running vertically between the 2 lights. it was hard to capture the scratches with the camera and my photography skills are very basic.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/S60_Hood_pics_002.jpg