PDA

View Full Version : what dual action orbital polisher to buy???

Pages : [1] 2 3

nissanztech
04-23-2011, 12:56 AM
What dual action orbital polisher would you recommended to buy?

:buffing: :pc7424:

poweraid
04-23-2011, 02:31 AM
I asked the same thing a little while ago . for like 5-10 more u can get the griots over the porter cable . it's more powerful and better warranty . I myself bought the pc and then returned it for the griots. so I never got the chance to use the pc . pc is good too but lot of people steered me into the griots. now I want another one or gonna cough it up and get a flex .

poweraid
04-23-2011, 02:44 AM
I asked the same thing a little while ago . for like 5-10 more u can get the griots over the porter cable . it's more powerful and better warranty . I myself bought the pc and then returned it for the griots. so I never got the chance to use the pc . pc is good too but lot of people steered me into the griots. now I want another one or gonna cough it up and get a flex .

I just started out myself here. everyone has their opinions . I have little experience, and this forum is of great help.

PAR Detailing
04-23-2011, 05:40 AM
I would go with the GG. Or just get both, you say that might be silly but I promise you you will find uses for both of them :props:

rweekley
04-23-2011, 05:50 AM
I love my GG:xyxthumbs:

Emm
04-23-2011, 06:46 AM
I like my PCXP, I have both, I reach for my PC more often when I am not using my flex.

BobbyG
04-23-2011, 06:54 AM
This can be a tough one to answer because what's best for me may not necessarily the best for you.

There are three machines that come to mind;

Flex 3401
Griots 6"
Porter Cable 7424HP

Theses seem to be the most popular here rise to the top of the list. I personally own the Flex 3401 and the Porter Cable 7424

My Polishers from the left; Porter Cable 7424, Makita 9227, Flex 3401, and the Flex PE 14-2-150

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Collection_RD17.jpg

The Flex 3401

The Flex 3401 is the most powerful dual action polisher that I'm aware of. It's power combined with the forced or gear driven pad rotation allow the operator to really concentrate of the downward presser needed for efficient correction.

Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html)

Griots 6"

The Griots 6" dual action polisher boasts being the most powerful of this style polisher on the market. The Griot's polisher also boasts more torque, which keeps the pad moving even under pressure. Commonly the pad will stop rotating on a typical DA polisher when pressure is applied. Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher is designed to keep moving so imperfections are eliminated faster.

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html)

Porter Cable 7424HP

The Porter Cable 7424HP is in the same class as the Griots polisher above. Although not as powerful according to the numbers, it outsells all the other brand of this style polisher. Could it be the name Porter Cable that drives sales? Quite possibly but the same Porter Cable is also synonymous with quality and performance.

James K
04-23-2011, 07:18 AM
The Porter Cable IMO is a better quality machine them the Griots. However, the Riots is far from a poorly built machine. It is still high quality IMO. It is also more powerful and has a great warranty. I own the PC along with a Flex Rotary. I plan on buying the Griots and turning the PC in to a dedicated 4" machine.

So either way you can't go wrong, but I recommend the Griots.

James K
04-23-2011, 07:21 AM
ooh I should add the reason I do not recommend the Flex DA is because I have never used one. I do not recommend things I do not have first hand knowledge of.

dad07
04-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I have both , my groits is used with 5.5 pads and my pc is set up for smaller pads. Both are good machines I prefer groits power with bigger pads. Good luck with your choice!

bmw5541
04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I love my Griots RO!!

arenared
04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I think it also depends on how serious you are and how much money you want to spend. I have the older PC 7424 and Griot's. I would say the PC is better built, but I like the power of the Griot's. I do like them both. If this is your first, you could probably pick up a used/older 7424 for dirt cheap. Unless, you plan on doing heavy correction, I think you will be satisfied with any of the popular DAs. Again, you did not state your intended usage.

JSMet
04-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I also think it's a personal choice based on intended use, economics, brand loyalty, etc.., but all three are good choices. I started with the 6" Griot's and later bought a Flex 3401, and I got the Flex because I heard so many folks recommend it. It lived up to the hype, but I'm also glad I got the Griot's. Bottom line for advice from me is: if you can afford it and just want one DA, get a Flex. If you don't want to spend a lot of money and want a good, reliable RO you can't go wrong with either a Porter Cable or Griot's Garage.

master detailer
04-23-2011, 12:16 PM
get the flex dont have one yet but the pc is only for some one that is doing there car only lol way to slow

IID
04-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I have (4) DA's:
GG 3"
GG 6"
PCXP
3401VRG

And if i'm going to use a DA over any of my Rotary's:
I 9/10 times reach for my 3401VRG.Hands down for me,it is far superior than any of my others.
The 3401VRG might be a bit more expensive than the others but forced rotation and very (VERY) minimal vibration,justify the cost.
Just keep in mind that the 3401VRG only comes with a 5.5" BP but can sized down to the 4.375" BP.
If you need something smaller (diameter wise) you can pick-up a GG3" later on, for under $100.