PDA

View Full Version : Upgp on diamond plate

bill buxton
04-22-2011, 08:17 PM
I wonder if the upgp paint guard will help lock in the shine after polishing diamond plate?? I might give this a try after the polishing next week:buffing: . Any ideas??? Thanks guys...:dblthumb2:

tuscarora dave
04-22-2011, 10:18 PM
:buffing: :Picture: :Picture: :Picture: :xyxthumbs: Breaking out the Milwaukee and the big wheel? The UPGP seems to work fine on the chrome accents on my Buick. Give it a whirl and take a few pics to show us how it did.

JonMiles
04-22-2011, 10:54 PM
UPGP worked great on my truck's toolbox...seemed to have a very long lasting effect. I didn't get much if any oxidation over the last 6 months I owned the truck.

jbgrant
04-23-2011, 12:58 PM
UPGP worked great on my truck's toolbox...seemed to have a very long lasting effect. I didn't get much if any oxidation over the last 6 months I owned the truck.

Did your truck's box have a factory clear on it?

Sounds like the OP's is probably unprotected if he needed to polish it aggressively. I would think that anything that worked well on polished alloy wheels to prevent oxidation will work wonders for diamond plate, but I don't have experience with it. On wheels, Ultima Tire and Trim lasts much longer than UPGP from my experience.

JonMiles
04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Did your truck's box have a factory clear on it?

Sounds like the OP's is probably unprotected if he needed to polish it aggressively. I would think that anything that worked well on polished alloy wheels to prevent oxidation will work wonders for diamond plate, but I don't have experience with it. On wheels, Ultima Tire and Trim lasts much longer than UPGP from my experience.

My box was raw aluminum. I polished a lot of varnish off of it and ruined a 3m wool pad before applying UPGP. I never got to try UTTG on it, but the UPGP worked well for the last few months I owned it. Nice beading when wet, no fading of the shine, and made it a lot easier to clean well.

jbgrant
04-23-2011, 01:28 PM
My box was raw aluminum. I polished a lot of varnish off of it and ruined a 3m wool pad before applying UPGP. I never got to try UTTG on it, but the UPGP worked well for the last few months I owned it. Nice beading when wet, no fading of the shine, and made it a lot easier to clean well.

That's great to hear. Thanks for the details. If somebody tests UTTG on diamond alum plate please share how the application goes, I'm sure the results will be great but it might be a little messy to buff clear.

Elite Pro
04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm lovin Opti Coat on metal right now...

CEE DOG
04-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm lovin Opti Coat on metal right now...

Did you use opti coat on metal? What was it you used it on?

Elite Pro
04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Did you use opti coat on metal? What was it you used it on?

Chrome front & rear bumpers- bugs basically wipe off the front bumper

I'm currently 'testing' it on one of my non coated aluminum wheels- it's been about a month and I'm lovin it

I polished 'em up, wiped down with MS & IPA numerous times and applied OC- been thru several rains and water just beads up- NO POLISHING- :awesome:usually after a rain or even a wash they'd haze & spot-no matter what sealant I used

I plan on doing a 'show & shine' with the wheels
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/34772-1st-write-up-review.html

bill buxton
04-25-2011, 05:09 AM
I got the stuff polished:buffing: but the showers came in before I could use the upgp. I will try a test spot and see what shakes out on the polished stuff. Thanks guys,,,:dblthumb2:

D_Nyholm
04-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Chrome front & rear bumpers- bugs basically wipe off the front bumper

I'm currently 'testing' it on one of my non coated aluminum wheels- it's been about a month and I'm lovin it

I polished 'em up, wiped down with MS & IPA numerous times and applied OC- been thru several rains and water just beads up- NO POLISHING- :awesome:usually after a rain or even a wash they'd haze & spot-no matter what sealant I used

I plan on doing a 'show & shine' with the wheels
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/34772-1st-write-up-review.html
Great idea about using it on uncoated aluminum wheels. I hate how i polish my wheels and it seems that a month later they are exactly where they were before. My Opticoat should be here tomorrow, time to get in the garage and polish my wheels and then coat them! :)