PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz layering questions for Avi

Old Tiger
04-22-2011, 02:08 PM
or Richy or anyone who can answer! I have 2 bottles of CQ. one is old version and one is new. I want to layer CQ. Should I apply old CQ and then new CQ or vice verse? Is there a minimum or maximum time between applying layers? I havent heard much about layering. I just know it can be done. Please help & TIA!

CEE DOG
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Hopefully Avi will chime in but my guess is old or new doesn't matter and can be layered. There isn't any max on layering as long as you get the surface clean again if your talking a long time. For minimum I can't recall. Richy knows if you pm him. I think it was a relatively very short period.

CEE DOG
04-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Jim, I came across the answer. Not sure if its out of date (10/2010) but I found Avi answered it on DW. He said 1-3 hours before 2nd coat.

Of course if you want to wait for another day down the line you can always wash and IPA or ms or what have you and then apply a 2nd coat.

Old Tiger
04-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Jim, I came across the answer. Not sure if its out of date (10/2010) but I found Avi answered it on DW. He said 1-3 hours before 2nd coat.

Of course if you want to wait for another day down the line you can always wash and IPA or ms or what have you and then apply a 2nd coat.
Thanks buddy! Im gonna try and do the beast soon!

momentum001
04-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Cquartz can be layered after 1 hr minimum after the first layer like Cee coment before.

Avi@CarPro
04-23-2011, 05:25 AM
As all said above.. you got the answer..
no worry about old or new, what Corey used was one of the first batches.. if you bought like him, 4 months ago.. it might be the same, use it first layer, then if you have newer bottles, use it for the second.
how can you tell the difference between first cquartz to recent?.. the color of liquid..
the formers were transparent , now its whitish color. the former had very strong smell , almost making you headache breathing.
the recent are less strong smell. use more UV proof chemicals inside, more smoother feeling on surface.
hope this helped :xyxthumbs:

Old Tiger
04-23-2011, 09:56 AM
As all said above.. you got the answer..
no worry about old or new, what Corey used was one of the first batches.. if you bought like him, 4 months ago.. it might be the same, use it first layer, then if you have newer bottles, use it for the second.
how can you tell the difference between first cquartz to recent?.. the color of liquid..
the formers were transparent , now its whitish color. the former had very strong smell , almost making you headache breathing.
the recent are less strong smell. use more UV proof chemicals inside, more smoother feeling on surface.
hope this helped :xyxthumbs:
It helped very much! Thank You!

James35
06-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Avi, if we get a blueish haze, does that have to be removed before another layer is added?

richy
06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Avi, if we get a blueish haze, does that have to be removed before another layer is added?

It is normal for it to develop a bluish haze while drying. That is what you remove after the prescribed amount of time (depends on heat). You measure the time between coats AFTER you buff off that blue haze. Wait a minimum of an hour.