PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning microfiber towels

rhairman
04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi guys, sorry if my confusion has been asked before. So, here is my situation. When I use QD for cleaning some light dust on my car, I don’t use many towels (<6 pcs). And clearly it’s not practical to machine wash those 6 towels. While I don’t like to hand wash towels, I like to soak them in the warm soapy water for a few days until I have enough towels to machine wash.
My question is:
1. Is it okay to leave MF towels for a few days in the soapy water. Will it damage the towels? Or
2. Should I better leave the towels in a dry bucket and pre-soak them 1 hour prior to machine washing? Isn’t the stain harder to remove if I let it sit for a few days before washing the towels?
FYI, I use Tide to wash MF towels that I like a lot of its cleaning power.

Thanks much.

ScottB
04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Keep towels away from all other laundry and towels. You can presoak them in an APC as desired for extra cleaning power. Dont use fabric softner, but you can use some white vinegar in rinse to keep them soft. Remember to store them carefully as those buggers can pickup anything !

RTexasF
04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I just throw mine in a five gallon bucket.....empty. When I get enough accumulated then I wash them. It may take a few days or a few months. I see no need to soak them unless they are really grungy and will be washed reasonably soon.

BobbyG
04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Keep towels away from all other laundry and towels. You can presoak them in an APC as desired for extra cleaning power. Dont use fabric softner, but you can use some white vinegar in rinse to keep them soft. Remember to store them carefully as those buggers can pickup anything !

Hey Scott,

Great tips!

How much vinegar do you add to the rinse water?

rhairman
04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

However, how safe is APC for microfiber towels?

Porsche Pilot
04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Hey Scott,

Great tips!

How much vinegar do you add to the rinse water?

I use the vinegar also. I have a front loader and put vinegar in the hole that you would normally add liquid fabric softener. I fill the little thing up to the max fill line. It really isnt that much but makes a huge difference. My water is from the Florida aquifer which is basically liquid limestone. WAY hard.

Kaleb G.
04-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I use about a cup of vinegar when I have 3/4 of a load of towels. I do a regular wash and rinse, a rinse with the vinegar, and then if they were used pretty hard, another rinse cycle. Towels are softer now than ever.