PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 Felt Ring Purpose???

Swimmer
04-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Read you were suppose to apply air tool oil to the felt ring before using. No problem, I did it as shown by Mike in an earlier thread. But what is the purpose? It fits in a metal groove, but I couldn't see where the backing plate even made contact with the felt ring.

loudog2
04-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Backing plates were melting earlier. Some say it was do to the friction of the felt pad with the BP. It's kind a like getting like a precautionary measure which can't hurt.

Swimmer
04-22-2011, 03:43 AM
Guess they fixed the problem because the manual with it doesn't mention anything about having to oil the felt ring?

Josh@BR
04-27-2011, 08:26 PM
I hear you can use the regular "3 in 1" oil to do this. Anyone know if that is true or should I go to lowes or something and find air tool specific oil?

fredcandetail
04-27-2011, 08:35 PM
huh huh?!?!? I just got mine last week and didnt ever read anything about this ... please explain

thanks!

Rsurfer
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
huh huh?!?!? I just got mine last week and didnt ever read anything about this ... please explain

thanks!
Take the backing plate off with the hex wrench. The white felt ring should be oiled. You can pry the felt ring out with a small flat head screwdriver by inserting in the slot. If not oiled use a light oil.

Rsurfer
04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Guess they fixed the problem because the manual with it doesn't mention anything about having to oil the felt ring?
It never said anything when it first came out either. Just too be sure, I would inspect it as it can burn your backing plate if not oiled.

Midnight1700
04-27-2011, 08:50 PM
I hear you can use the regular "3 in 1" oil to do this. Anyone know if that is true or should I go to lowes or something and find air tool specific oil?
Yes! You can use the 3-In-1 oil. That is what they used during one of the seminars at SEMA. There, they took a small container large enough to lay the felt ring flat on the bottom. Soaked the ring with the 3-In-1 oil and lightly wiped off the excess. Put it back in the flex and replaced the backing plate. Only takes a couple of minutes.

fredcandetail
04-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I've done three one steppers without having done this ... Have I damaged something? What happens if I don't oil the ring?

Rsurfer
04-27-2011, 11:29 PM
I've done three one steppers without having done this ... Have I damaged something? What happens if I don't oil the ring?
You will burn the backing plate as it is made out of plastic.

BobbyG
04-28-2011, 07:18 AM
About 100 years ago....maybe a little less, I quickly learned that oil and airborne particles and automotive paint don't play well together.

We all know that the Flex 3401 does get warm and when oil warms up it becomes thin and "can" migrate outside the area. I'm not saying it will but it can and depending on how much you use will play a key roll here.

I do realize that we're not laying down paint and detailing is "somewhat" less sensitive than painting however I decided to raise the bar a bit and eliminate the possibility.

I was assembling my machine and put a light coating of grease on the felt ring before securing the backing plate to the unit. Just a light coating is sufficient. I use a synthetic grease called Shooters Choice All Weather Grease. This grease stays put up to 350F and will not separate..

I just wanted to throw out this option for consideration..

This is available just about everywhere and works great..

Synthetic All-Weather Gun Grease - Shooter's Choice (http://shooters-choice.com/synthetic_weather_grease.html)