PDA

View Full Version : To glaze or not to glaze

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jsuro
04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Over the last few months I have helped AG's bottom line a little bit by buying a lot of goodies to do all my cars on my own. They all look great! I have a Griot's DA with a lot of pads, lots of Menzerna's and Pinnacle stuff plus all other kinds of detailing goodies - I almost need a new cabinet in my garage! The question now is do I want to add a glaze to the mix and if so why and which one?

Best,

Jose

Flash Gordon
04-21-2011, 05:21 PM
There are times when polishing isn't possible. So I say yes

Poorboys World Blackhole gets my vote :props:

silverfox
04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm a believer in glazes. They are the unsung missing link between polishing and applying a sealant or wax. If you think your car can't possibly look any better after you spend hours polishing it to a show-car shine...you'd be wrong. Applying a quality glaze is the step that most people feel isn't worth their time. I disagree.

My favorite isn't sold by AG, so I might get in trouble, but this is a forum for information exchange...its called Extreme EZ Creme Glaze. Do a Google search. I have no words to describe this glaze, its that good.

James K
04-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I am a big fan of glazes. I use the one mentioned right above me, along with a new one from them. I am really wanting to try out the Poorboys line. Soon.

Anyway, I say yes, add a glaze.

embolism
04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
and let's not forget a wax that was made to top PBBH

Natty's blue!

(paste not liquid)

BobbyG
04-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Glazes exist because they have a place in detailing..

Glaze after car polish and before wax. carnauba finishing glaze, gloss, show car glaze, last step product, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, XMT, 3M, Meguiars (http://www.autogeek.net/glazes.html)

trencher7
04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I use Meg's #80 Speed Glaze and I don't know if I am using it in the right place, but I use it as my 2nd step after Ultimate Compound. It's kind of my alternate 105 / 205 combo since the cuts are similar (and I bought them when I didn't know about 105/205).

ziggo99
04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I might be wrong and would love to be corrected, but I recall a thread by about glazes and how they are more effective on single stage paint because the oils are are direct contact with the paint, where with a clear coated finish, it's harder for the oils to penetrate to the paint. I think Mike might be able to answer this one for me.

maximus20895
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I think I remember reading something like that a year ago as well.

Bates Detailing
04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Im a glazer :props: Second sometimes third step.

James K
04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
You also have to look at the product being called a glaze. Glaze can be a couple different things.

mackdaddyhibble
04-21-2011, 10:04 PM
:xyxthumbs:I admit I'm a Glazer.lol I want my car to shine as much as possible,before applying my sealant,might be subtle but whats a extra step I already have an obsession.

Kristopher1129
04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I love glaze. I find that in a lot of cases, it's all people are looking for is a quick shine. I use the glaze as a one step all the time.

I also use it to finish off a full correction in SOME cases. Sometimes it's not necessary.

Also, like someone mentioned above...I find the oily texture to glazes to be very useful with single stage paint.

In fact, today I had an older RX-7 with heavy oxidized red paint. I went over it with 205 to remove the dead paint, and did a quick glaze polish just to touch it up. Then I laid my sealant (after an alcohol wipe down of course). Worked like a dream, and really gave the paint a pop it didn't have before.

Like I said, I like glaze! lol :dblthumb2:

VIP Reflections
04-21-2011, 11:05 PM
IMO, if you have a black or dark colored car, you should try some glazes. i have a obsession with black sports cars and glazing them before wax. i use non abrasive glaze, 3M is my fav. i never tried a finishing glaze

Gtiracerx
04-22-2011, 01:03 AM
I love glaze. I find that in a lot of cases, it's all people are looking for is a quick shine. I use the glaze as a one step all the time.

I also use it to finish off a full correction in SOME cases. Sometimes it's not necessary.

Also, like someone mentioned above...I find the oily texture to glazes to be very useful with single stage paint.

In fact, today I had an older RX-7 with heavy oxidized red paint. I went over it with 205 to remove the dead paint, and did a quick glaze polish just to touch it up. Then I laid my sealant (after an alcohol wipe down of course). Worked like a dream, and really gave the paint a pop it didn't have before.

Like I said, I like glaze! lol :dblthumb2:

Just so I'm clear as to what you are saying, you did an alcohol wipe after a glaze? wouldn't that take the glaze off?