PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 Running Hot?

Pages : [1] 2

Josh@BR
04-21-2011, 07:32 AM
I just bought my flex a couple weeks ago and I've done about 10 different cars with it. I just recently noticed with the last suv I did that the round metal part of the 3401 that's located next to backing plate was extremely hot. The performance of the flex was no different but I couldn't even touch this metal part it was so hot. Is this normal when using the 3401 for a long period of time? It could have done this from the beginning and I just didn't notice it till now. I haven't oiled the ring yet in it either which I plan to do soon. Also what kind of warranty do I get with this thing if any? Thank you for any help!

BobbyG
04-21-2011, 08:07 AM
I just bought my flex a couple weeks ago and I've done about 10 different cars with it. I just recently noticed with the last suv I did that the round metal part of the 3401 that's located next to backing plate was extremely hot. The performance of the flex was no different but I couldn't even touch this metal part it was so hot. Is this normal when using the 3401 for a long period of time? It could have done this from the beginning and I just didn't notice it till now. I haven't oiled the ring yet in it either which I plan to do soon. Also what kind of warranty do I get with this thing if any? Thank you for any help!

Josh,

Mine gets warm but no where near hot.

I would also shoot this information directly to one of the customer reps at Autogeek in the even none of them see it here.

Flash Gordon
04-21-2011, 08:13 AM

Running hot is a complaint I've heard several times before with this machine. You might try wearing a glove

I believe it only has the standard 1 year warranty

Tom Weed
04-21-2011, 08:13 AM
When they first came out, I got one from Powerhouse dist. and used it for a couple of years probably before it locked up. I pretty much put that thing through the paces doing a lot of correction work. It was repaired free of charge, not sure I remember all they did, but replaced several parts and I was very impressed they stood behind it like that. As far as running hot, after correcting a few panels, that thing gets really hot, that was before the repair and even now, hot enough it burns your hands! I think that's normal.

jbgrant
04-21-2011, 09:07 AM
How long do the plastic gears that force the rotation generally last (gear in the housing that the backing plate meshes with)? I'm guessing the backing plate gear outlasts the rest of the backing plate?

I'm pretty sure the 3401 is going to be my next polisher down the road.

I suppose the extra heat probably comes from the friction of these gears in the housing which looks to be very tightly sealed by the backing plate compared to typical DA buffers. Just an idea, but it looks like the counterweight would really move some air around in that bell housing; perhaps flex just needs to introduce some vents in a revised model.

Thanks,

Joel

BobbyG
04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
When you guys are talking hot, hot hot do you mean?

I just did a car last weekend and used it for at least 2 hours straight. I did notice that the got very warm, but no where near hot enough to burn my hands....I don't wear gloves when I use it either...

Josh@BR
04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I think it would be normal considering the amount of time the machine ran for along with a decent amount of pressure I was using. The pad was pretty warm itself but I didn't imagine a piece could get that hot. My PC never had anything like this happen. But I am very happy with this da so far. The correction capabilities blow my PC out of the water which is why I purchased it in the first place.

Josh@BR
04-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Bobby, I didn't mean so hot that I would get burned but still hot enough that I wouldn't want to put my hand on it for more than a second or two or else it hurts. On second thought I don't think it would literally burn me but I could be wrong. I didn't try it long enough to find out lol

BobbyG
04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Bobby, I didn't mean so hot that I would get burned but still hot enough that I wouldn't want to put my hand on it for more than a second or two or else it hurts. On second thought I don't think it would literally burn me but I could be wrong. I didn't try it long enough to find out lol

Hey Josh,

I was referring to Tom Weed's post where he said it burns his hands.

I think I'll wear gloves just in case!! :laughing:

Tom Weed
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey Josh,

I was referring to Tom Weed's post where he said it burns his hands.

I think I'll wear gloves just in case!! :laughing:

I guess I should define burn... If my hands are touching the metal as Josh stated, for more than a second or two, it hurts, like touching a black car in the sun... not like taking your skin off or anything... maybe sometime I should get it hot and take a temp reading???

Midnight1700
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
There is a recomendation, I believe it is endorced by Flex, to remove the backing plate and remove the felt "O-Ring". Soak the "O-Ring" in 3-in 1 oil, lightly wipe it down using a cloth. Replace the "O-Ring" and the backing plate. This helps reduce the drag on the backing plate and heat built up. Give it a try and see if this helps.

BobbyG
04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I guess I should define burn... If my hands are touching the metal as Josh stated, for more than a second or two, it hurts, like touching a black car in the sun... not like taking your skin off or anything... maybe sometime I should get it hot and take a temp reading???

I don't think we need an actual temperature reading.

After understanding what you guys are calling hot I think mine is probably in the ballpark but I just don't remember it getting that hot. I think the plastic shroud is supposed to insulate the user from the heat and it's also vented.

I also lubricate the felt ring with a light grease.. Maybe this helps..

Flex 3401

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Flex3401.jpg

Flash Gordon
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I think alot of it has to do with the individual. If you work in an office all day, and your hands are baby soft, then your probally gonna feel a burn

Hope no one takes this statement the wrong way. I'm not calling you a sissy :bolt:

Tom Weed
04-21-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't think we need an actual temperature reading.

After understanding what you guys are calling hot I think mine is probably in the ballpark but I just don't remember it getting that hot. I think the plastic shroud is supposed to insulate the user from the heat and it's also vented.

I also lubricate the felt ring with a light grease.. Maybe this helps..

Flex 3401

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Flex3401.jpg

Bobby, I took the plastic handle at the end off of mine, cause sometimes I use a side handle, and I will put pressure one end of the machine sometimes and if you touch the metal housing connecting the backing plate when the machine is working gets rather toasty... Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone thinking this thing was going to cause a hospital visit, but it does get much warmer than my rotaries...

Tom Weed
04-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I think alot of it has to do with the individual. If you work in an office all day, and your hands are baby soft, then your probally gonna feel a burn

Hope no one takes this statement the wrong way. I'm not calling you a sissy :bolt:

LOL,
Flash, you have me pegged!!! I do in fact have an office job all day unless I venture out on campus...