PDA

View Full Version : Reapplying wax between details

Lenaxia
04-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I am just finishing up getting everything I need for detailing but this step continues to confuse me.

Assuming I do the standard wash, clay, polish, seal, carnuba, in 3 weeks after the carnuba starts to wear off how do I reapply the wax without having to strip the sealant and do it all over again?

Can I just reapply the new wax over the old wax? Wouldn't that potentially cause hazing, not to mention trap lots of dirt between the layers? As far as I understand things, claying sealant is silly.

Even if I wash my car well, doing a front/back motion while applying wax even with clean MFs can still introduce marring, no?

Searching hasn't returned anything on this topic so far :(

FUNX650
04-20-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll just say:welcome: to AGO for now...I'll try to get back to you as soon as...possible. :)

Lenaxia
04-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Haha, thanks, yeah I guess I should've gone through the introduction section first :)

TornadoRed
04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
What does it matter if you put on two layers of wax during the same weekend or 3 weeks apart? Assuming you are washing every week and of course you're gonna wash before you put on the wax, I think you'd be fine.

D_Nyholm
04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah, if your Carnauba is wearing off, just apply another coat on top of your original sealant. On my garage queen, i will put a coat of wax on it after every wash (about once a month). On my daily drivers, i'll get a sealant on there and follow up with a carnauba and every 1-3 months, add another coat. If i notice it falling off too quickly, i'll strip and re-apply my sealant and carnauba combo.

zkeeper
04-20-2011, 09:29 PM
You'll have no real problem with adding a new layer of wax. IF the cleaning, claying and original sealant/or wax layers were properly applied, then adding another layer is fine. I clay down 2x a year, and add carnuba layers every couple months, normally. No hazing; an easy and fun therapy. DO make sure of course, that the surface is completely clean and cool and your home free.:buffing:

bimmer325!
04-20-2011, 11:18 PM
With the advent of the newer spray waxes..they are the perfect tool to use in this case because they provide a extra barrier of protection to your existing wax..and they really add some shine and slickness. I use Optimum Spray On Wax and am happy with it. I can wax my car in less than 10 minutes.

Lenaxia
04-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys, thats good to know.

I was worried that it'd cause some serious issues if I just laid down repeated layers of wax.

silverfox
04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
There was a time when I applied detail spray after every wash. No longer because the new generation of spray waxes are just as easy to apply, leave a great glossy shine, and offer superior protection over a detail spray. My favorites are Meg's Quik Wax and Optimum's Car wax. They can be applied in cold weather as well. I'm really a fan of spray waxes.

James K
04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Aqua Wax.

End thread.

Seriously though, spray waxes are a great way to go between waxing.

As far as your original question, yes you can apply another layer. Like said above make sure that you have no contamination on the paint.

D_Nyholm
04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Aqua Wax.

End thread.

Seriously though, spray waxes are a great way to go between waxing.

As far as your original question, yes you can apply another layer. Like said above make sure that you have no contamination on the paint.

Yeah, i'm really starting to like Optimum Car Wax. So easy to apply and super slick. Seems to have some staying power as well.

trencher7
04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
At what point would you strip it all to do another full detail with sealant? I feel like I wax my car so often I have no idea when I would need to seal it again.

Chriswashwax
04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Optimum car wax is simply the best

Waxmax
04-27-2011, 08:51 AM
I often wax every month (after a wash), making sure the surface is clean (I spot clay as necessary with an ultra fine clay). I sometimes use different carnaubas and have not seen hazy paint.

After 6 months, I clean off the LSP(s) (usually use KAIO), polish as necessary, and LSP again.

High quality carnaubas have excellent clarity so repeated use on a clean surface should not be a problem, plus each application removes some of the existing wax...for me I see no ill effects.