PDA

View Full Version : need pad input for 105-205

poweraid
04-20-2011, 07:06 AM
i could use some help in pad selection for using 105-205. 5.5" lc ccs or flats and then what color pads and how many of each color i need for 1 fullsize truck. ill top it all off with collinite 845 or 476. i just tried optimum hyper polish and that did not help me . anyone wanna try this for themselves pm me ill send u the bottle

jamores23
04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Orange pads x2 white pads x2 grey pad x2. If rotary ccs pads, DA flat pads. def stick with 5.5 pads. depending on how bad the truck is is really what would make a definite answer of what you need but they have a 6 pad kit for lc.

rwright
04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Orange pads x2 white pads x2 grey pad x2. If rotary ccs pads, DA flat pads. def stick with 5.5 pads. depending on how bad the truck is is really what would make a definite answer of what you need but they have a 6 pad kit for lc.

Why ccs pads for rotary but flat for da?

OP, what year and make is the truck? What color? What are your goals? 70% defect removal? 80%? 90%? What tool are you using for correction? You will want more pads.

Sent using Tapatalk

BobbyG
04-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Theres' allot of variables to consider.

Is it a single stage or color coat / clear coat finish?
What is the condition of the paint?
Will you be washing the pads?
Do you have a pad washer?

What type of polisher are you using; rotary or dual action?

Before I started I'd want to have the following items on hand.

[2] Yellow
[4] Orange
[3] White
[3] Gray
[2] Blue

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

This might be a little excessive but I have no way of knowing the actual condition of the trucks finish and your plan to clean your pads during the process.

Before you wax, think about adding a sealant after the paint correction step. Sealants work great and do a nice job providing both a high gloss and long term protection. One sealant I like is Menzerna Power Lock but there are also others here that work very well.

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-power-lock-sealant.html)

Collinite makes some great products both you mention will serve you well. Collinite 845 is much easier to apply with a dual action polisher and I highly recommend this method of application. Collinite 845 needs to be applied THIN, otherwise you may struggle removing it.

weavers
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
surbuff+m105 its gives an amazing amount of correction every time. much better than orange lc pad. you can choose to follow up with m105 and orange pad or follow up with m205 and white pad. your choice if you want to make it 2 or 3 steps. i find surbuff and ultimate compound followed by m205 and white pad gives amazing results for most cars.

hydro pads are another option. i have CCS and hydro. the hydro seem better made, and will last longer. the CCS foam seprates from the velcro backing way to easily and take longer to clean, but slightly easier to work with. hydro is just different. its close foam(hydro) vs open foam tech(ccs).

imo buy 5.5" pads
1-2packs of surbuff pads - compound
2-4 Cyan compound
2-4 Tangerine polish
2 Crimson wax pads

or you can try the new megs microfiber pads.

dougaross
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Why ccs pads for rotary but flat for da?

OP, what year and make is the truck? What color? What are your goals? 70% defect removal? 80%? 90%? What tool are you using for correction? You will want more pads.

Sent using Tapatalk

DA have less power, the flat pads do not absorb as much power before it gets to the paint..

rwright
04-20-2011, 10:26 AM
DA have less power, the flat pads do not absorb as much power before it gets to the paint..

What? The DA has less power than a rotary?

poweraid
04-20-2011, 11:28 AM
it's an 04 f-150 . factory paint . I just need to get out swirls and what scratches I can . it's my everyday driven but I like to take care of it . I always used off the shelf crap and since found ag I been building up my arsenal . I'm not looking to have perfect results just correct what I can with limited time and steps . I would not mind 3 step process . I have a griots da using 5.5 pads . the optimum hyper polish didn't seem to correct much to me. so I thought megs 105-205 or the mf kit . I do not have a pad washer I just clean with xmt pad cleaner and then by hand . which I really hate . I'm not a pro- detailer just a hobbyist . so I'm looking for easy to use let's say and 3 step is fine , compound - polish - wax ? sun up to sun down fine with me .

poweraid
04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
truck is 2 tone true blue met and dark shadow gray met , mostly blue

BobbyG
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
OK, great information to know!

If you've decided to go with the Lake Country 5 1/2 inch flat pad approach then try the following;

[3] Orange
[3] White
[2] Gray

Meguiar's M105 on the Orange pad at a speed setting of 5
Meguiar's M205 on the White pad at a speed setting of 5
Collinite 845 on the Gray pad at a speed setting of 3

Work each panel a 2 X 2 section at a time then replenish the compound and move on to the next section. Continue this approach in a criss-cross pattern until the results are acceptable. Do this with both Meguiar's M105 and M205.

After I've finished the polishing phase I like to wipe each panel down to ensure I remove any oils or contamination is removed before I apply the wax.