PDA

View Full Version : bug zapper

Pages : [1] 2

jslym777
04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Now that it's getting warmer, the bugs are starting to show up and now that I have bright bright lighting in my garage, the bugs are getting crazy and like to land on the car I'm working on. (my favorite is when they land on a slanted panel after I just got done finishing it and they slide right off) But anyways, does anyone use a bug zapper inside of their garage, or outside of their garage? I really need to figure this out so I dont have to deal with them.

5.4 Shelby
04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I use roll up garage door screens. Ordered them either from Sams Club or Costco. They work very well. I do most of my detailing at night, so, bugs are a big problem. A few still get through, but, nowhere near what used to.

FUNX650
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
I never like to think that I might be inhaling, possibly diseased, "unsafe for human consumption" bug guts or bug dust that would be flying around; or, having their air-borne remains landing on vehicles being detailed in the garage. (UV Bug-Zappers are not very effective on mosquitoes, btw). Maybe some citronella candles--meant to be burned only outside--would help.

Another aspect to consider: If my neighbors would hear all that zapping they'll think I'm cooking out--I don't want them to bring their possible diseases over either. :) LOL

PAR Detailing
04-19-2011, 04:18 PM
I heard dryer sheets keep bugs away... I cant verify it yet but I heard that somewhere. Maybe just place a few of them around and light some citronella candles. Let us know what you decide and if it works

jslym777
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
maybe a wall of fire outside my garage door....

Porsche Pilot
04-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Wall of fire is an excellent idea. Any time you add fire to the equation a good time is sure to be had. Seriously though, I have the garage screens also and they really do work. Just don't forget that they are there when you try to walk out of the garage. Dont ask me how I know.

Or, buy a couple of geckos and let them hang out in the garage. You may have to contend with gecko poop though. Or, put up a bat house outside on a tree. One bat can eat a pound of bugs per night. I have them in my back yard and they keep the mosquitos at bay.

Or a wall of fire.

maximus20895
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
You actually got bats to keep bugs away? I think I want one!

jslym777
04-19-2011, 05:39 PM
haha be careful, before you know it you may have more bats than you want, and they can be living in your house with you, we had this problem before and it was a chunk of change to have our entire house rodent/bat proofed.

Porsche Pilot
04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
You actually got bats to keep bugs away? I think I want one!

They really work. I put up three bat houses in the backyard last year. The damned things found them and moved in. I have no idea how many live in the houses. I havent had the courage to look up in there and take a head count. My wife would find great comic relief to see me flailing around the yard with a bat attached to my face.

5.4 Shelby
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
They really work. I put up three bat houses in the backyard last year. The damned things found them and moved in. I have no idea how many live in the houses. I havent had the courage to look up in there and take a head count. My wife would find great comic relief to see me flailing around the yard with a bat attached to my face.
I would not recommend laughing at her when she has one caught in her hair.

Porsche Pilot
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
haha be careful, before you know it you may have more bats than you want, and they can be living in your house with you, we had this problem before and it was a chunk of change to have our entire house rodent/bat proofed.

I hear ya. I had the house rodent proofed a few years ago when some squirrels got in the attic and caused some carnage. And, the squirrels started chewing on my Jeep. Why were the squirrels so rampant? To my discovery Mrs. Pilot was feeding them corn! She thought they were so cute and fuzzy. Damn tree rats!

Porsche Pilot
04-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I would not recommend laughing at her when she has one caught in her hair.

Yeah, I would have to be the hero husband and save her. I would not be opposed to whacking her with the pool net, you know, to be helpful. Besides, she is convinced that they are vampire bats and she wont go outside at dusk when they come pouring out to go hunting at night.

jslym777
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM
yeah after we had our house sealed we didnt see them returning to our house, they did not go away though, they just found a new home in our neighbors houses. hahahahahahaahahahaha

maximus20895
04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I hear ya. I had the house rodent proofed a few years ago when some squirrels got in the attic and caused some carnage. And, the squirrels started chewing on my Jeep. Why were the squirrels so rampant? To my discovery Mrs. Pilot was feeding them corn! She thought they were so cute and fuzzy. Damn tree rats!

When my dad was in college he use to open the outside door, sit on the couch inside the living room and hold a peanut. The squirrel would then come inside, eat it and run away. He had several that would do this.

5.4 Shelby
04-19-2011, 05:54 PM
When my dad was in college he use to open the outside door, sit on the couch inside the living room and hold a peanut. The squirrel would then come inside, eat it and run away. He had several that would do this.
When I was in college I tried all kinds of baits to try to get the "squirrels" to come in my house. I never thought of peanuts.