PDA

View Full Version : purchased a car to practice on?

pixelmonkey
04-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Little timeline here to explain.

Last fall, my daily had the timing belt break and trashed the motor. I searched craigslist and found a motor that was presumed to be "good" but was pulled from a wrecked car with the transmission.

after speaking to the seller, he told me he had another car, same year & motor, with a bad transmission, BUT we could start the car to see what I thought. SOLD!!!

so it pick up a car with a good motor, bad transmission; along with a spare motor and good transmission for DIRT CHEAP!

the car is titled, the tag is up to date and the car runs fine.

I have recently installed the good transmission into the car and have things almost mechanically ready for the road, BUT it's appearance need some help. I'm looking at the car and seriously considering wet sanding and making it look better than new.

I figure worst care, i'm out the opportunity to make money, but gain some experience and break even on selling the cheap car.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

pixelmonkey
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
need to note the car is sitting a bit low in the back due to the extra motor/transmission in the hatch.

the tires are over-sized and will not be used. i have a spare set of correct size wheels and tires already bolted to the car.

Rewind97
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
You definitely have your work cut out for you!!!

Mazda.Mark
04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
wish I could do that!

Crazy Amos
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I love those camry's it will run forever!

Mike Phillips
04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah if you're mechanically inclined, and it sounds like you are, then get it running and road worthy and the buff out the paint, polish the glass and clean and detail the interior...

Then drive for transportation or sell it and pocket the profit...

:)

pixelmonkey
04-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I love those camry's it will run forever!
Subaru :cheers:

Yeah if you're mechanically inclined, and it sounds like you are, then get it running and road worthy and the buff out the paint, polish the glass and clean and detail the interior...

Then drive for transportation or sell it and pocket the profit...

:)
thanks mike!

to make some extra cash, i've been filpping cars and bikes since i was in high school. subaru has been great in keeping with a design standard through most of their cars. the extra motor was from a 1993, which used the same block and heads as the 1997 impreza. my wife was getting a bit mad at me for having too many cars in the drive, and has said :nomore:

the green legacy wagon has an interior that appears to have last been cleaned around 1999. before and after photos should be a hoot!