PDA

View Full Version : Claying technique

embolism
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
So i'm assuming that similar to washing from the top of the car down since those panels are the least dirty, there is a best practice for claying. In this case, with a fresh piece of clay maybe you don't want to start with the top/horizontal surfaces, since they might have the most surface bonded contaminants. Then again, the vertical panels around the wheels may be just as bad. Considering the vaccuum effect (when driving) on the back of the car, it would seem that the back section could be pretty bad too. Do ppl walk around with a baggie and assess different areas beforehand, then start with the least contaminated panels? Maybe have different clays for different sections?

Considering the fact that people rarely use a piece of clay only once then throw it out does it even matter what panels you do first? With the addition of Iron X to the arsenal, does it even matter as much anymore?

I ask b/c I don't necessarily want to polish every time I clay my car, say before winter prep...

thoughts however obscure or random are welcome

thx

Flash Gordon
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
So i'm assuming that similar to washing from the top of the car down since those panels are the least dirty, there is a best practice for claying. In this case, with a fresh piece of clay maybe you don't want to start with the top/horizontal surfaces, since they might have the most surface bonded contaminants. Then again, the vertical panels around the wheels may be just as bad. Considering the vaccuum effect (when driving) on the back of the car, it would seem that the back section could be pretty bad too. Do ppl walk around with a baggie and assess different areas beforehand, then start with the least contaminated panels? Maybe have different clays for different sections?

Considering the fact that people rarely use a piece of clay only once then throw it out does it even matter what panels you do first? With the addition of Iron X to the arsenal, does it even matter as much anymore?

I ask b/c I don't necessarily want to polish every time I clay my car, say before winter prep...

thoughts however obscure or random are welcome

thx

The tailend is where your going to find the most contaminents due to the exhaust

jamores23
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
I wouldnt think it would matter to much where you start because your going to be folding the clay to expose a clean side

C. Charles Hahn
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I wouldnt think it would matter to much where you start because your going to be folding the clay to expose a clean side

Not quite. You don't want to start off on the rocker panels where lots of road grime collects, or on the wheels or exhaust tips because they will contaminate your clay much faster than if you start in the least dirty areas and work from there.

Personally my technique is to start on the vertical panels of the vehicle *above the beltline*, then do horizontal surfaces (hood/trunk/roof), followed by the vertical surfaces below the beltline, and finally wheels and exhaust tips if applicable.

This way you're moving from the cleanest areas to the dirtiest areas, keeping your clay from becoming too contaminated early on in the process.

AeroCleanse
04-19-2011, 11:08 AM
For a real clay bar, I break mine up into smaller pieces then when it gets too dirty, throw it away and use a clean piece.

I prefer to use the HiTech Body Sponge, similar to the one Ultima sells.

SeaJay's
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I will typically start with the hood, then the roof. Then move onto the side panels above the belt as Shiny said. Then do the trunk lid, front clip, and rear. Followed my wheels and exhaust tip.

I have always done it this way. Right now I'm going through a lot of clay due to a lot of winter clean ups. I'm averaging at least 1 bar (2oz) of clay per car. Sometimes more...at least the past few weeks.

rwright
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Start out with a good wash, then use Tarminator to remove as much debris as possible, followed by another wash, and now you're ready for clay. Long process? Sure, but if you can see that much build up on a vehicle it will be worth it plus you will save a lot of clay.

As I mentioned in another thread, thanks to Anthony@OCDetails Salt Lake City, use the rule of thumb method: tear off a piece equal to the size of your thumb. I understand this is equal to breaking it into smaller pieces, but gives you more of an idea of how small the pieces can be.

suprachica79
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
It seems like clay is the most expensive part of the whole process. I have a small sedan beater that was never clayed, and on the hood alone it took almost 50g of clay. The whole car seemed like it could have taken the whole 200g bar. How dirty do you guys let the clay get before folding it over to a clean side?

C. Charles Hahn
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
It seems like clay is the most expensive part of the whole process. I have a small sedan beater that was never clayed, and on the hood alone it took almost 50g of clay. The whole car seemed like it could have taken the whole 200g bar. How dirty do you guys let the clay get before folding it over to a clean side?

Knead the clay after each panel to get to a clean patch. :xyxthumbs:

jamores23
04-19-2011, 10:58 PM
why does it take me so long to clay? I get EVERY little contaminant that I see off. It doesnt just come off with one swipe some time it take more swipes. Ive also noticed that if the surface is to lubricated it takes more swiped to get things off as opposed to it being slightly lubricated

C. Charles Hahn
04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
why does it take me so long to clay? I get EVERY little contaminant that I see off. It doesnt just come off with one swipe some time it take more swipes.

That's when you know you might need to step up to more aggressive clay, or perhaps you need to decontaminate the paint with something else first.

Ive also noticed that if the surface is to lubricated it takes more swiped to get things off as opposed to it being slightly lubricated

Too much lubrication means the clay is hydroplaning across the surface instead of doing its job. Use less lube and you'll be able to do the job faster and more effectively. :xyxthumbs:

suprachica79
04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
For a real clay bar, I break mine up into smaller pieces then when it gets too dirty, throw it away and use a clean piece.

I prefer to use the HiTech Body Sponge, similar to the one Ultima sells.

I'm thinking of getting one of these with my next order (from a competitor, sorry) I looks like a good substitute for heavily containmenated cars which will probably be my first customers.