PDA

View Full Version : CQuartz and Opti-Coat 2.0 Rust ???

Wendell Jarvis
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there, a friend has a small rust spot on his car, how will either Opti-Coat or CQuartz bond to rust, will it actually add protection from future or furthering rust....logically it seems it would seal the rust.........any thoughts on this ??

Setec Astronomy
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Is it a chip that has rusted? Or is it bubbling up from underneath?

ScottB
04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
if the rust is exposed, why not remove it first.

jamores23
04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
how would you remove rust?

Setec Astronomy
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
how would you remove rust?

Again, it depends if we are talking about some slight rust that might happen in a paint chip, or if we are talking about bubbly rust through that is really coming from the other side. Certainly surface rust can be removed chemically or mechanically.

Chris Thomas
04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Opti Coat will not bond to rust. You should clean away the rust before applying. I would think a mild acid or even any APC applied with a qtip and then neutralized would work fine.

Wendell Jarvis
04-18-2011, 06:57 PM
It is bubbling up from underneath the paint, on the other side (exact spot) the rust is small but open (no bubbling or paint on the rust) I have some Eastwood Rust Gel Remover ordered, but was curious about how it would bond and protect........I suppose a picture of the rust would be due right now.....but he is on the other side of town.

rwright
04-18-2011, 07:09 PM
To make sure I understand this, you want to apply a semi-permanent or permanent product to a rusting vehicle?

C. Charles Hahn
04-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Opti Coat will not bond to rust. You should clean away the rust before applying. I would think a mild acid or even any APC applied with a qtip and then neutralized would work fine.

Huh? Since when is APC able to clean away rust? :dunno:

I've never heard anyone suggest that before.... :idea:

Usually unless you're using a specific product like Naval Jelly, Evaporust, or something of that sort designed to convert the rust into a "primer," the only way to truly remove rust is to abrade it away.

Wendell Jarvis
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
To make sure I understand this, you want to apply a semi-permanent or permanent product to a rusting vehicle?

Guess I should have explained my game plan in depth.............I was thinking of cleaning up the rust as much as possible, then use touch up paint to rusted area, then apply CQuartz or Opti-Coat...........hoping that either product would seal and bond to the touch up paint and perhaps stop from future rusting........the rusted area is about 1 inch by 1 inch

Setec Astronomy
04-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Rust repair is difficult proposition...again, if it is a paint chip that exposed the metal surface and that rusted, it should be fairly straightforward. If it is a deeper (no pun intended) problem, as you describe, then whatever you do probably will only be a temporary fix...as Shiny alluded to, you really need to grind away the rusted area, and treat it with a converter, etc. And if it's rusting through from the back...there isn't going to be any permanent solution other than replacing the panel or completely removing the rusted portion and replacing it.

However, it sounds to me like covering a touch-up spot with Opti-Coat would be a really good idea.

Chris Thomas
04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Huh? Since when is APC able to clean away rust? :dunno:

I've never heard anyone suggest that before.... :idea:

Usually unless you're using a specific product like Naval Jelly, Evaporust, or something of that sort designed to convert the rust into a "primer," the only way to truly remove rust is to abrade it away.

I have removed surface rust with APC, but granted I have no idea if it was at a microscopic level. Also, if the rust is coming through from the rear, the point is moot.

CEE DOG
04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure how deep the rust is but you can use something I bought at walmart. It's called "Right Stuff" (compare to OSPHO) its a blue liquid and you simply apply it to the rusted area. I actually need to use this on a spot on the front lip of my green Saturn now that you mention it... It will chemically alter the rusted area turning it back into steel.

First remove the loose rusted area. Then apply this chemical. Then after allowing to dry completely wipe with IPA or a paint prep and allow to dry for a bit. Then touch up paint and after a week come back and if you are only concerned with coating that one spot then IPA the spot. Finally, coat it with either coating if you like.

Really I think the conversion chemical and paint is now protecting the metal from rusting. But maybe the coating helps prevent moisture from penetrating the touch up paint. I don't think the moisture gets through that touch up paint but if you have some coating on hand it certainly won't hurt.

Wendell Jarvis
04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure how deep the rust is but you can use something I bought at walmart. It's called "Right Stuff" (compare to OSPHO) its a blue liquid and you simply apply it to the rusted area. I actually need to use this on a spot on the front lip of my green Saturn now that you mention it... It will chemically alter the rusted area turning it back into steel.

First remove the loose rusted area. Then apply this chemical. Then after allowing to dry completely wipe with IPA or a paint prep and allow to dry for a bit. Then touch up paint and after a week come back and if you are only concerned with coating that one spot then IPA the spot. Finally, coat it with either coating if you like.

Really I think the conversion chemical and paint is now protecting the metal from rusting. But maybe the coating helps prevent moisture from penetrating the touch up paint. I don't think the moisture gets through that touch up paint but if you have some coating on hand it certainly won't hurt.

Corey.I will check into the product you mentioned....I think its a great game plan, remove the rust, touch up paint several coats , then apply CQuartz.....at this point I dont have anything to loose......know what I mean........lol.........