PDA

View Full Version : Did A Quick Detail On My Nephew's Saturn

HeavyMetal
04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
My nephew (acutally my grand-nephew, but that makes me feel really old) stopped over yesterday and helped us out around the yard. This kid (21) is a great kid - 3.97 honors student in pre-law, puts himself thru college (with a little help from us) has a full-time job where he was promoted to supervisor to boot. After dinner I said let's give your car a quick wash and wax. Now this was a pretty sad 04 black Ion, not terribly well maintained, but not a total beater. Did a quick wash with DP NR, a quick clay. We had some time 'till he had to go to work, so I said let's hit this with a little polish and see how it finishes up.

I used WG TSR with an LC orange pad and the results were incredible. The Ion plastic body panels polish out very easy. I showed him how to use the PC and he got to do all the lower panels so his ancient and creaky uncle didn't have to bend over. He also did all the removal buffing. I went back over the front clip with WG FG and a white pad, but it didn't gain that much and since we were running short of time, we threw on a coat of 845. Wow, what a difference and the grin on his face was well worth the effort. I reminded him he has a key, and told him from now on no more commercial car washes - he can use my stuff to maintain his car.

I'll try to throw up some after shots this weekend, but really just wanted to share that one of the great things about this hobby is you often get the opportunity to make a well-deserving person smile. You can't beat that with a stick. Im the MANIm the MANIm the MAN

ScubaCougr
04-18-2011, 09:56 AM
one of the great things about this hobby is you often get the opportunity to make a well-deserving person smile. You can't beat that with a stick.

True dat!

As I get started I'm doing a lot of 'freebies' for deserving friends to build experience beyond my own rig. It's a nice feeling once the rent is paid.

Definitely looking forward to pics. I loved the plastic panels on my old Saturn.