PDA

View Full Version : New GMC Truck- suggestions on Wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

martykyj
04-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I just brought home a new truck. I want to keep it looking great and would appreciate suggestions on what wax to put on and dressing on the front grill which is black plastic or vinyl. I also have a tonneau cover. I don't have a garage which is even more important to protect the exterior and interior. I've been using Mothers and Mcguires because it's easy to find in the stores. Thanks in advance for your input.

CleanGene
04-18-2011, 08:55 AM
What color is the truck? The wax you should choose will depend on paint color and type. As for the tonneau cover, I recommend Aerospace 303 protectorant. Congrats on the new truck.

Mike Phillips
04-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Have you considered one of the new coatings we now carry?

Check out this current thread,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/34851-opti-coat-2-0-cquartz.html

and this article,

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/34185-3-categories-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings.html)

What did you get?

:)

martykyj
04-18-2011, 09:04 AM
The color of the truck is Silver. For now, I named it Girlie Man because I have to put make up (Wax) and lipstick (dressing) on the front grill and tires. I'll freek out if Girlie Man gets dirty. I also had the dealer put a Simoniz glass coat on it before I took the truck home. I think that's a sealer for the paint.

CleanGene
04-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Collinite 845 would be a good choice for silver. Very durable and leaves a good shine at a very affordable price. If you hurry, you can get the Collinite buy one get one free. :dblthumb2:

martykyj
04-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks Gene, now I got to figure out where to get it. Would I go to the home page and find it through the drop down menu's?

PA DETAILER
04-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Collinite 845 would be a good choice for silver. Very durable and leaves a good shine at a very affordable price. If you hurry, you can get the Collinite buy one get one free. :dblthumb2:

i would agree. i have two coats on mine right now. and the results are amazing. the black plastic you have many choices. black wow. ultima trim & tire guard to name a few. the tonneau cover they make kits for. cleaner & protectant. ragg top and wolfstiens are two that i know of.

CleanGene
04-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks Gene, now I got to figure out where to get it. Would I go to the home page and find it through the drop down menu's?

Here's the link. Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

martykyj
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Thank you for your help. I ordered the Colonite 845 and the ultima trim and guard plus.

ryanbabz71
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I use DP polycoat, poorboys polish, poorboys white diamond, and poorboys nattys paste wax on my 2010 Sheer Silver Silverado.

martykyj
04-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info. I ordered the Collinite 845 and the Ultra trim and guard plus. Sorry Ryan, I ordered the stuff before reading your post but I am taking notes.

HeavyMetal
04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info. I ordered the Collinite 845 and the Ultra trim and guard plus. Sorry Ryan, I ordered the stuff before reading your post but I am taking notes.

I use both the UTTG and 845. Amazing products. I've had the 845 on my dark charcoal metallic RAV4 for almost 3 weeks now. It's held up to like 8 rainstorms, still looks and beads great. Just remember to put it on VERY THIN. If you think you're not using enuf, you're probably using too much. As long as the pad is gliding on the surface and putting down something, that's thick enuf. You should be able to see right thru the coat as you put it on.

I just added the UTTG a week ago, but it's held up thru 4 rains so far. Not bad considering Armorall would wash off almost immediately.

If you really wanna see that truck sparkle, get a DA, some polishes and a sealant. I used Wolfgang polishes and Menzerna Powerlock sealant. Both were very easy to use.

AeroCleanse
04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Get a panel pot of Dodo Juice Supernatural.

I know you ordered already, but SN is just amazing.

ryanbabz71
04-18-2011, 08:14 PM
The collinite is good stuff. I use that on my Wife's Silver Birch Tahoe. I still like Nattys but will probably use the collinite on my truck next fall before winter.

Also if you are looking for a gm truck site take a look here: GM-Trucks.com (http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums). Great info on gm trucks/SUVs and people just like this site.

TLMitchell
04-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Thank you for your help. I ordered the Colonite 845 and the ultima trim and guard plus.

Good choices. :xyxthumbs: I've been using UTTG+ on my tonneaus for a while and it's longer lasting than most protectants. The jumbo Ultima foam pad is the perfect size for doing a large area. If you find UTTG+ a bit glossy or greasy for your tastes buff off after application and it'll tone down a bit. The Ultima beads like crazy and compliments the insane beading of 845.

On glossy black plastic and GMC grill trim I've been using 845. If the material is clean and unfaded where no restoration is needed it works great. I use it on black window trim and wiper arms as well. UTTG+ works better on the windshield cowling though.

Since you've got a new vehicle now is the best time to keep things from getting crappy in the first place. A couple of coats of 845 on the rear painted wheel wells will keep them easy to clean. I prefer CD2 in engine bays. I hit the paint, plastic... everything. Then I wipe down the excess for a more matte look. Once coated a light wipe after you dry the vehicle will keep everything looking like new. Use the wiping towel with CD2 residue to wipe down your front plastic inner fender well liners and they'll be easy to keep clean as well.

GM doesn't coat the inner barrels of most of their truck wheels. You've got one chance to get some sealant on the aluminum when new and then keep them clean otherwise once they get crudded up you'll never get them back. A Daytona SpeedMaster brush or EZ Detail brush or something similar is a good investment.

TL