PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wells

Jsuro
04-17-2011, 07:32 PM
What to use to make them dark? It's probably been mentioned before on other posts but I can't find a specific search reference. I do mine with Meguiar's APC. They are very clean but they turn out a light grey - sometimes lighter. I would like them to look really dark, almost black.

Best,

Jose

PAR Detailing
04-17-2011, 07:38 PM
You want to use a dressing to make them dark and black again. I just bought Megs Hyperdressing and cut it 1:1 and love the look.

Clean them like you do and at the end when you apply the tire dressing spray some dressing up in there and walk away and enjoy.

James K
04-17-2011, 07:47 PM
A good cleaning and an under carriage spray work well for me.

mcpp66
04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
I use Griot's Undercarriage spray.

dad07
04-17-2011, 08:03 PM
You want to use a dressing to make them dark and black again. I just bought Megs Hyperdressing and cut it 1:1 and love the look.

Clean them like you do and at the end when you apply the tire dressing spray some dressing up in there and walk away and enjoy.

:iagree:with Jon here thats what i use on the wells....for tires its Opti-bond.

Bates Detailing
04-17-2011, 08:08 PM

I just use the same product that I use on trim or tires - whichever depending on the ride and which one it excepts better...... local distributor products. Im sure that it would fly with any similar product AG carries (tire shine or trim restorer).

Jsuro
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Cutting it 1:1 is a great idea! It seems too thick for that purpose undiluted. Thanks for that tip! I'm going to try that on my next detail.

Best,

Jose

akimel
04-17-2011, 09:58 PM
I use Griot's Undercarriage Spray, which seems to last longer than other products I've used (but I hate the smell). If I want the convenience of an aerosol spray, I turn to Stoner Trim Shine.

TLMitchell
04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
After a thorough cleaning I usually wipe the wells with the residue on the rag I used to wipe down the tires after dressing.

I cleaned up the engine of a recently acquired vehicle the other day and used CD2 under the hood. I wipe it down to soften the shine and this time I used the residue on the towel to wipe out the wells. Since then I've only cleaned the wells with regular wash water and they come clean without scrubbing and retain a slickness that prevents crud from sticking. That's after numerous drivesin the rain and 4 or 5 washes. Think a light wipe with CD2 when necessary is now going to be my normal wheel well treatment.

TL

ziggo99
04-18-2011, 09:18 AM
I end up using Black Magic tire foam after getting back there the best I can with my mitt. For $3 a can, I can get a two or three applications out of it. Pricey compared to what a gallon of the other products are, but I haven't had time for an order.

PA DETAILER
04-18-2011, 09:28 AM
i have been using detail king BLACK OUT. so far i like the results. it is cut 1:1 for this application.