PDA

View Full Version : Desert Car Kings...

ObsessiveAutoDetail
04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I just got hooked on this show. Really pretty cool to see these cars getting "restored". I'm watching them do a '50 Studebaker coupe. They showed a sun shot and HOLY BUFFER TRAILS!

I cannot believe they'd put all that work into these cars, and do such a slip-shot job of finishing out the paint.

Maybe they can hang out here and learn a few things...

Ech0
04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I watched this show within the last week for the first time. Some neat stuff. They redid a Cadillac in the one I saw....

jslym777
04-17-2011, 06:22 PM
to me it looks like they do a mediocre job, haha they dont do anything too exciting. i think if i bought a car from them, the first thing id do is tear it apart when i got home :) at least you know youre getting a clean working car then.

longdx
04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I love the show as well. They seem to do pretty average overhauls (frame on) which are fine for daily drivers, but obviously not Concours quality. But, their aution prices seem to reflect that and for most people the restorations are more than adequate. DVAP are also blessed with having almost ideal weather to find relatively rust free examples to start. (a rarity in the Northeast where I live).

TornadoRed
04-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Dessert Car Kings is more my style.

Munich77
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
I just got hooked on this show. Really pretty cool to see these cars getting "restored". I'm watching them do a '50 Studebaker coupe. They showed a sun shot and HOLY BUFFER TRAILS!

I cannot believe they'd put all that work into these cars, and do such a slip-shot job of finishing out the paint.

Maybe they can hang out here and learn a few things...

Yeah I have noticed that before too. But for the price...I think that most people would not notice anyhow. Those cars do need a bit of TLC on the finish.

Pretty neat show nevertheless.

01GreyStangGT
04-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I think it's really neat too.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
04-17-2011, 10:43 PM
No doubt, it's a great show. Keeping those old classics rolling at a budget price. I just wonder why on all these types of car shows made for TV, there's apparently nobody on set who has an eye for detail. There was another similar show that was the same way. Find an old heap and restore it. I just have one request.... FIND A DETAILER WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!

Fast Eddie
04-18-2011, 01:05 AM
No doubt, it's a great show. Keeping those old classics rolling at a budget price. I just wonder why on all these types of car shows made for TV, there's apparently nobody on set who has an eye for detail. There was another similar show that was the same way. Find an old heap and restore it. I just have one request.... FIND A DETAILER WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!
I actually have seen all the Desert Car Kings shows, and me and a couple buddies were watching a while back when the Studebaker rolled out of the garage, and yes we where all in amazement at the holograms it had. DVAP surely needs to hire someone that can sling some compound better than what they got now. I know they had to wet sand the crap out of that Studebaker to make it even half way decent, but dang, how could you not see those holograms after it was attacked with a wool pad?
I can't believe they showed their painter painting with a cheap dust mask (no respirator) and even missed half a fender on the T-Bird they "restored" :xyxthumbs:

HeavyMetal
04-18-2011, 07:04 AM
I like the show. Not sure I'd wanna buy one of their cars. Maybe if I got it cheap enuf. They aren't really restoring them so much as a cosmetic fix-up. I have a feeling that 3 months after you buy one of those repainted beaters you're gonna face some serious repair bills for engine, brake lines, tranny, rear end, etc. I'd be surprised if their cheap paint jobs last a year.

mark58
04-18-2011, 07:18 AM
How about mechanical work? You ever see them do anything to the engine that has been sitting around for 30-50 yrs. It is not restoration ,just a face lift.

TheCougarGuy
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
It's very similar to the Wrecks to Riches show. I think a lot of corners get cut due to the deadlines (real or manufactured for TV).

timaishu
04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I saw an episode where they restored a challenger(charger?) I thought it looks damn good. Though they did build it for an auction so maybe they raised their quality standards. Thats the only episode Ive seen.

Gotta remember to the whole point of the show its make them daily drivers which are affordable, not show quality garage queens.