PDA

View Full Version : Re-paint, BAD holograms, help!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
04-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm going to be working on a civic that was re-painted a week ago. I've never seen such bad rotary buffer swirls in my life! Here's the polishes and pads I have. The painter said the clear coat is very soft. What combo would you try first? Just want to get an idea...

Surbuf pads
DA MF cutting pads
Orange, yellow, black LC pads
M105
M205
Ultimate Compound
Ultimate Polish
D300
Wolfgang TSR
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

PAR Detailing
04-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I would give the new MF system a try for poos and giggles but if that doesnt work Im sure 105/orange would. You coul also try 105/MF pad. I havent tried that yet but would like to. Just throwing out ideas for ya Mark

C. Charles Hahn
04-17-2011, 04:46 PM
On fresh paint you'll want to skip the Surbufs or MF pads for sure.

Do you know what paint system was used? The painter may think the clear is "very soft" but if he was working on it fresh out of the booth it may have hardened some between the time it was initially buffed and now.

Sight unseen, I think I'd go with UC and the LC Orange on your Flex, followed by either M205, UP, or Wolfgang FG and the LC black.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-17-2011, 05:06 PM
On fresh paint you'll want to skip the Surbufs or MF pads for sure.

Not that I disagree, but why is that? Will they leave behind to much micro-marring?

I don't know what paint system was used. It's a friends car.

BobbyG
04-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Mark,

Find out what products he used to shoot the car and if the clear has a hardening agent as part of the system. There's something about his assessment that the clear is "very soft" that bothers me.

An example; if it's a DuPont brand finish then look on the manufactures website and see what they recommend for drying times before polishing or waxing. I just don't want to see you get into trouble...

WRAPT C5Z06
04-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Mark,

Find out what products he used to shoot the car and if the clear has a hardening agent as part of the system. There's something about his assessment that the clear is "very soft" that bothers me.

An example; if it's a DuPont brand finish then look on the manufactures website and see what they recommend for drying times before polishing or waxing. I just don't want to see you get into trouble...
Thanks, Booby. :dblthumb2:

They did a HACK job with the rotary buffer already, so I assume I can polish?

BobbyG
04-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Mark,

Here's some information from the DuPont site.

Dupont makes a clear coat system called ChromaPremier

I've listed the products required below but only 1 activator is required and which one you used is based on the temperature of which the product will be applied.

ChromaPremier 72100S™ Premium Appearance Baking Clearcoat
ChromaPremier V-12305S™ Mid Temp Activator (75° F - 85° F)
ChromaPremier V-12307S™ High Temp Activator (85° F and above)
ChromaSystem V-1075S™ Reducer

C. Charles Hahn
04-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Will they leave behind to much micro-marring?

That would be my main concern, yes.

C. Charles Hahn
04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Mark,

Here's some information from the DuPont site.

Dupont makes a clear coat system called ChromaPremier

I've listed the products required below but only 1 activator is required and which one you used is based on the temperature of which the product will be applied.

ChromaPremier 72100S™ Premium Appearance Baking Clearcoat
ChromaPremier V-12305S™ Mid Temp Activator (75° F - 85° F)
ChromaPremier V-12307S™ High Temp Activator (85° F and above)
ChromaSystem V-1075S™ Reducer

Even if they did use a slower hardener, by a week later it should be cured well enough to polish I would think....

PPG's Deltron system is the same way as the ChromaSystem you brought up as well.

BobbyG
04-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Booby. :dblthumb2:

They did a HACK job with the rotary buffer already, so I assume I can polish?

Mark, buddy; Booby!! :eek: :eek: :laughing:

BobbyG
04-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Even if they did use a slower hardener, by a week later it should be cured well enough to polish I would think....

PPG's Deltron system is the same way as the ChromaSystem you brought up as well.

I agree.... I'm just not comfortable with the painters comment so I asked Mark to dig a bit deeper before he gets started....

C. Charles Hahn
04-17-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree.... I'm just not comfortable with the painters comment so I asked Mark to dig a bit deeper before he gets started....

I totally agree -- that's why I asked him what paint system was used as well. :dblthumb2: Should be interesting to see what he finds out.

:laughing: :laughing: I guess we know where his mind is! Maybe this is a lady friend's car he'll be working on? Or he forgot this is a family forum.... :o

jamores23
04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
lol. good luck mark.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-17-2011, 06:26 PM
I've done that a few times!!! :doh: I happened to see a nice rack walking by as I was replying to you. :laughing:

It's actually been 2 weeks since the car was painted. He picked it up a week ago. I should have been more clear.

maximus20895
04-17-2011, 06:57 PM
I have a 2007 Civic SI which was painted and during the summer, I couldn't find a spot that didn't have holograms. I used 105, 205 and finished it off with 86RD and that corrected the problem :)

It seems if the wind blows the wrong way then the car will have scratches. The paint is very, very soft :/

I'd love for you to take pics if you don't mind. If you do, then no biggie :)