PDA

View Full Version : Got roof?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ExoticAutoDetai
04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I have seen a lot of good write up, pictures, 50/50 aka money shot, etc...

But I don't know if you guys don't do the roof or what is it that I don't see information about it like any other panel of the car.

I find it hard and can be uncomfortable trying to achieve a good paint correction on a roof.

"You can help create your own luck, you can make things happen through hard work and intelligence."- Donald J. Trump

Flash Gordon
04-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I skip the roof on Suburbans. I do tell the owner in advance. If they really wanted me to do it, I would, but I see no point. Unless your 8' tall its not going to be seen. I've yet have anyone complain about doing it like this

All others recieve top to bottom coverage :)

Impressions
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
all cars, trucks and even Sprinters get the roof done

We do this to our vehicles to protect the finish from failure and eventually rust, the roof takes the worst beating other than the front bumpers

Flash Gordon
04-17-2011, 02:13 PM

We do this to our vehicles to protect the finish from failure and eventually rust, the roof takes the worst beating other than the front bumpers

Do you guys charge by the hour, or by the job?

Impressions
04-17-2011, 02:17 PM
I charge by the job and adjust my rate depending on the severity of the job

Sometimes it works in my favor, sometimes it doesn't, but thats ok.

If things are slow (usually not very often) than I might call my regulars and offer a discount from regular price (offers vary)

ExoticAutoDetai
04-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I skip the roof on Suburbans. I do tell the owner in advance. If they really wanted me to do it, I would, but I see no point. Unless your 8' tall its not going to be seen. I've yet have anyone complain about doing it like this

All others recieve top to bottom coverage :)

Well the other day I was parked in Walmart and in front of me kinda to my right side was a maybe a 95 Chevrolet suburban model. I notice what grab the most my attention was the whole roof had clear coat failure except all around the sides panel the paint looks good other than inspecting close I am pretty sure you will notice the , spider webs, etc..

ExoticAutoDetai
04-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Any tips on how to be properly or maybe as comfortable as possible to be able to work on a tall vehicle roof?

I would like to see more pictures on this particular panel from other members with experience

Impressions
04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Some years back we had back to back hurricanes and they did a lot of damage........during rebuild I purchased a folding scaffold from H/Depot and it came in real handy rebuilding the interior of my home. I retired it to the garage until one day I needed to paint the inside walls of my car wash so I brought it to the shop..............I use it every day I am open for one reason or another.

I maintain a few Sprinters with high tops and Buses that are pretty tall and on the top step I can reach the middle with a little stretching, but to detail I get out the ladder and set up shop on the roof

Flash Gordon
04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Well the other day I was parked in Walmart and in front of me kinda to my right side was a maybe a 95 Chevrolet suburban model. I notice what grab the most my attention was the whole roof had clear coat failure except all around the sides panel the paint looks good other than inspecting close I am pretty sure you will notice the , spider webs, etc..

Looks like you mighta found one of my customers old suburbans :laughing:

Any tips on how to be properly or maybe as comfortable as possible to be able to work on a tall vehicle roof?

I would like to see more pictures on this particular panel from other members with experience

Yes, I'm all up for finding an easier way to do this :)

ExoticAutoDetai
04-17-2011, 02:33 PM
What about Mike let's hear how he does his roofs or maybe he skips them like flash lol

jslym777
04-17-2011, 02:43 PM
hang a harness from the cieling and do it mission impossible style

ExoticAutoDetai
04-17-2011, 02:48 PM
hang a harness from the cieling and do it mission impossible style
Thats exactly what I did last night and thats why I started this thread.

5.4 Shelby
04-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I bought and love the Vikes Twofold folding scaffold/workbench.

I use it on every detail either on trucks to get the roof or even just as a handy table to keep polishes, MF and polishers on.

It is large, bulky and very heavy. But will hold up to 500lbs.

It even has a powerstrip on it.

This is the only photo I have of it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P0001_032411.jpg

ExoticAutoDetai
04-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Is that a car stand on top of it? Looks nice I can see comes in handy many ways.

James K
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I use a 3 foot step ladder to deal with roofs. I usually do not do much paint correction on high roofs, but always make sure to seal or wax them.