PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Wolfgang / Natty's combo

Pages : [1] 2

Cheetah
01-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi. I'm a newbie. Currently I have ColorX topped with NXT on my red bmw. I plan on doing a wolfgang sealant / natty's blue combo. My question is, do I have to remove what I have on the car currently or can I just apply the WG on top of the NXT and then Natty's blue on top of that the next day? If it is better to remove everything before applying WG would colorX do the job? I also have Mother's pre-wax cleaner at my disposal.

Thanks in advance.

wytstang
01-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Stip the car of everything and start fresh. I'm assuming you are doing this all by hand so with that in mind (guesing you don'g want a Porter Cable buffing machine) I would do like so:
1. Wash with Megs NXT
2. Clay bar
3. Mothers Pre wax cleaner (since you already have it)
4. Then apply Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Sealant after waiting 12-24 hours do another coat. Most of the people who use WG really don't like to top it with anything. I personlly like the way it looked on it's own (I didn't try topping it either). A rule of thumb puting a sealant on top of a carnuaba is a no-no, most sealant can't bond well with oils on the surface. You can how ever put a carnuaba over a sealant after allowing the sealant to cure for 12-24 hours. Good luck and when you are ready step up to a Porter Cable buffer to really bring the color out.

Cheetah
01-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Thanks wytstang.
That was very helpful.:)

Do you mind telling me why people don't like to top Wolfgang DG? Is it because it looks good enough without it?

supercharged
01-03-2007, 01:51 AM
This should be a great combo on red - Wolfgang DGPS, and Natty's Blue.
Post some pictures when you are done.

Cheetah
01-03-2007, 02:26 PM
OK, I will. Here's 2 pics of what it looks like now with NXT on it.
Hmm... I have the same thread going on at autopia. Maybe it's bad netiquette.:o

Surfer
01-03-2007, 02:46 PM
WG and NB is gonna look great on BMW red, going to be very wet and deep.

wytstang
01-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Thanks wytstang.

Do you mind telling me why people don't like to top Wolfgang DG? Is it because it looks good enough without it?
Bingo most people prefer WG on it's own, a member here Redwarf(sp?) toped WG with nattys (I think it was nattys) and somewhat regretted it. He much preffered WG on it's own. There is no harm in trying you may like you may not...........only one way to find out http://www.darkmesa.com/images/smilies/evilb.gif

supercharged
01-04-2007, 02:30 AM
I personally prefer any sealant topped with carnauba. I want water to bead, not to sheet.

Gary Sword
01-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks wytstang.

I have been toping Wolfgang DGPS with Souveran Paste on some cars and I think it looks great. On my wife's white car I think Liquid Souveran over DGPS looks great. I have not tried Natty's Blue yet but I think any Carnauba will look good on top of it. For just a paint sealant Wolfgang DGPS looks great on it's own. I even put DGPS on a 24' enclosed car trailer because it's goes on and off so easy and a little goes a long way.

Below is an example of Souveran Paste over Wolfgang DGPS:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/505/medium/LG_Pinnicle1.jpg

JoeD
01-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Quote 'Below is an example of Wolfgang DGPS over Souveran Paste:"

I think you mean Soveran Paste over Wolfgand DGPS. Sealer then Wax?

Gary Sword
01-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Quote 'Below is an example of Wolfgang DGPS over Souveran Paste:"

I think you mean Soveran Paste over Wolfgand DGPS. Sealer then Wax?

Your right JoeD. Sometimes I should read over what I type. A lot of times I'm thinking one thing and my fingers are typing something else. I'll edit it and fix it so I don't mislead anyone.

Cheetah
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Wow. Excellent pic. I can't wait to try it on my car.
I just have to wait another week until the bumper is repaired.
Just starting to calm down a little bit from when that guy rear ended me yesterday.
Still p.o'd though.

ehuth1
01-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm confused. I've heard different stories on on topping a LSP. I've heard that topping the sealant is a no no.... Reason being not many carnuba's on the market today have what they call higher than 4% carnuba in a so called "carnuba paste." With that said the mixture of the paste, that has to include mulitple solvents or some sort of chemical to make up the difference, you would actually break down the sealant that you've just applied.

Please follow up with your thoughts. I actually took this situation to friend of mine that works closely with product distributor and ask him to follow up with this sequence.

I would just think after you apply sealant that would actually be the LAST STEP ? . ? . ? However after cure time sets in and bond has been made to produce a shield between the clear coat and the enviroment, then I would think maybe a carnuba could be used to get a quick shine and hide weekly gathered wash swirls.

sparkie
01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm confused. I've heard different stories on on topping a LSP. I've heard that topping the sealant is a no no.... Reason being not many carnuba's on the market today have what they call higher than 4% carnuba in a so called "carnuba paste." With that said the mixture of the paste, that has to include mulitple solvents or some sort of chemical to make up the difference, you would actually break down the sealant that you've just applied.

Please follow up with your thoughts. I actually took this situation to friend of mine that works closely with product distributor and ask him to follow up with this sequence.

I would just think after you apply sealant that would actually be the LAST STEP ? . ? . ? However after cure time sets in and bond has been made to produce a shield between the clear coat and the enviroment, then I would think maybe a carnuba could be used to get a quick shine and hide weekly gathered wash swirls.

I can't tell you anything about multiple solvents and chemical in waxes. Are how it breaks down the sealant. I don't know if it dose. What I can tell you, if you top a sealant with wax it will make it deeper and wetter. I've seen it. These are some that I did, Klasse twins top with S100. Even AIO top with S100 or Liquid Souveran. Try it, you will like the look.

wytstang
01-05-2007, 02:07 AM

I would assume a 'cleaner wax' would strip what you have already laid down. As they are designed to clean/strip, but the average carnuaba paste wax shouldn't be to harsh to strip a good sealant (Megs Gold class, Megs #26).