PDA

View Full Version : Lambo Murcielago some advise??

Pages : [1] 2

slickooz
04-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm been very busy lately, working at Lexus from 11-8, 5 days a week. And not have much time posting here.

A friend from high school just got a Lambo and I wanted to know what products I should buy to use on a car like that. I'm going see if he wants/need it detailed. Detailing a Lambo would def help get my name out.

Any advise is much appreciated, I would love to detail this beast.

embolism
04-15-2011, 11:07 PM
hi slick

wondered what you were up to.

Did your friend win the lottery or something?

there are a few recent lambo detail posts. You should check them out

Perfections
04-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm been very busy lately, working at Lexus from 11-8, 5 days a week. And not have much time posting here.

A friend from high school just got a Lambo and I wanted to know what products I should buy to use on a car like that. I'm going see if he wants/need it detailed. Detailing a Lambo would def help get my name out.

Any advise is much appreciated, I would love to detail this beast.

The same products you would normally use if you wanted 100% defect free paint, start with the least aggressive approach on a test panel with good lighting and go from there, only difference I would do, due to the value of the car is tape off the high points in body panels as the clear coat will be thinner there

slickooz
04-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi embolism, yeah just been busying and when I'm off I'm trying to book cars or work with my dad. Trying to save some money maybe next year I can make BIG moves. I'm been lurking around and check AG every now and then but working 40+ hours a week gives me very little time to do other stuff.

I hope everyone is doing well and keep making that $$$$ :props:

slickooz
04-15-2011, 11:14 PM
The same products you would normally use if you wanted 100% defect free paint, start with the least aggressive approach on a test panel

Is there any extra precaution to take when working with a 250k+ car? I want to know as much as possible before I touch the paint.

Perfections
04-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Is there any extra precaution to take when working with a 250k+ car? I want to know as much as possible before I touch the paint.

Sorry typing on an iPhone and accidentally hit send to early, didn't finish my post but I edited it :)

JonMiles
04-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Rock hard clear coat on those....105 would be your best bet for cutting, then you can refine with SIP followed by 85rd to get the most out of the paint.

The interior is easy, vacuum, dust, clean with something like APC+ @ 10:1 then dress with your favorite interior dressing. I wouldn't imagine there to be much staining in the carpets, but folex will handle them well if you have any spots.

Make sure to tape thoroughly around the vents and grilles on the car, you will not be able to get compound dust out easily. But overall, the car is easy to work on as the panels are relatively large and pretty flat. The engine is not too hard to work on either, there is a lot of space and plenty of elbow room for hand rubbing the intake manifold. I have seen a couple of 640s with a brace above the engine, it can be removed for better access but make sure to look up the torque specs for reinstallation. Some P21s TAW and a good selection of brushes will go a long way in cleaning the engine. You will want a soft spoke brush, a paint brush, and a soft bristled longer brush for the job. Also not a bad finishing touch to put a sealant on the painted portions inside the engine bay.

Also, do not even think about using an acid based wheel cleaner on the lambos. The ceramic brakes can have problems. I would recommend sonax or p21s for them. Overall, just take your time, work in sections and make the lambo swirl free and glossy.

slickooz
04-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Rock hard clear coat on those....105 would be your best bet for cutting, then you can refine with SIP followed by 85rd to get the most out of the paint.

The interior is easy, vacuum, dust, clean with something like APC+ @ 10:1 then dress with your favorite interior dressing. I wouldn't imagine there to be much staining in the carpets, but folex will handle them well if you have any spots.

Make sure to tape thoroughly around the vents and grilles on the car, you will not be able to get compound dust out easily. But overall, the car is easy to work on as the panels are relatively large and pretty flat. The engine is not too hard to work on either, there is a lot of space and plenty of elbow room for hand rubbing the intake manifold. I have seen a couple of 640s with a brace above the engine, it can be removed for better access but make sure to look up the torque specs for reinstallation. Some P21s TAW and a good selection of brushes will go a long way in cleaning the engine. You will want a soft spoke brush, a paint brush, and a soft bristled longer brush for the job. Also not a bad finishing touch to put a sealant on the painted portions inside the engine bay.

Also, do not even think about using an acid based wheel cleaner on the lambos. The ceramic brakes can have problems. I would recommend sonax or p21s for them. Overall, just take your time, work in sections and make the lambo swirl free and glossy.

Thanks JonMiles!! I enjoy reading your post because you have a lot of experience and willingly share it with others. You are very helpful and Great contributor in AG.

Will a Griot's DA and couple orange and white pad do the trick? I have to get some more M105. I got a gallon of M205 and will need to buy a lighter polish.

JonMiles
04-15-2011, 11:35 PM
GG will do the trick if you are patient and don't mind a doing a couple passes. Orange will get the cut you need, but it will not happen in 1 pass on heavier swirls or scratches.

My normal routine for polishing lambos:

1)wash, clay, prep, tape.
2)Makita with yellow four star wool pad and 105 @ about 1800 rpms.
3)check to see if everything is removed.
4)if not, repeat...if yes switch over to an orange sonus pad with SIP for a pass with SIP @ about 1500 rpms.
5) repeat step 3
6) Jewel paint with 85rd and black ccs @ about 1200 rpms then down to 600 rpms for the last couple swipes.
7) IPA wipe down and check.
8) Once perfect, apply sealant or wax of choice.

As you can tell I prefer my makita to all other tools, but my GG gets some work when I feel like switching it up. I use surbufs for 105, orange sonus pads for 205 or SIP, and black ccs pads for finishing with 85rd or Fourstar SMR.

slickooz
04-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks again JonMiles. I got a Makita but without handle and hadn't had the chance to order one.

I'm going get a few more surbuf pads because its works nice with a DA when I need to fix heavier swirls/scracthes.

southbeach
04-15-2011, 11:50 PM
I work on them all day....just have insurance....hahahah.... A easy car to detail. www.southbeachautospa.

slickooz
04-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Very nice set up you have there. Lots of very expensive cars there. :xyxthumbs:

JonMiles
04-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I work on them all day....just have insurance....hahahah.... A easy car to detail. www.southbeachautospa.

So what kind of process and products would you recommend for lambo detailing? Do you ever find it hard to polish inside the vented skirts?

southbeach
04-16-2011, 12:25 AM
So what kind of process and products would you recommend for lambo detailing? Do you ever find it hard to polish inside the vented skirts?

I alway polish what I can....If I can't reach it, I just do those part by hand....I used 3m, been using them since 1997...I have a Dewalt and Flex 3401....Most likely, Those part don't have anything wrong with it....If it is not broken, do not fix it....That should be the #1 rule in this business..

jpegs13
04-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Personally I like the Menzerna products. They work well against the cerami-clear, which is as hard as a rock. Other than that, same methods as you would any other painted vehicle.