PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washing/steam cleaning...

Pages : [1] 2

turbos17
01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Ok guys this may sound dumb, but I have done it for years on many vehicles and have only had "one" single problem with a 92' Toyota Pickup not starting right away because I did not cover the distributor cap all the way....my mistake. Doh! Anyways how many people steam clean or pressure wash there engine compartment? And what degreaser do you use? I have used Simple Green and it seems to work fine....however reading that SG can sometimes be harsh....I wanted to know what would be the best stuff not to turn the rubber hoses and etc. to a brown color and keep everything looking new? If anyone has an insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Luke
01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer with a 4 liter v6. I could own Sword's cars in a flash... he knows it.:D:D:D:D AAAAAnyways, I do not show off my engine because it is so slow, but I do just squirt simple green in the engine, let it sit for awhile, and then just hose it off. I will use the foam gun soon though when it comes. Probably I will put simple green in it. Be sure to soap the paint that you sprayed with the simple green outside of the engine compartment, so you dont strip wax. Hope this helped

nick19
01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Probably I will put simple green in it.

Be sure to order another bottle, for this process, and rinse the gun, and foam head VERY VERY WELL. I don't use a foam gun, because I have more control with a sprayer than a foam gun. I would not want SG all over my windshield and paint!

I would advise you to use a sprayer filled with SG, than a foam gun, but ultimately your decision. Just lookin out for ya bud :p

Luke
01-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the tip. Do you think that just a little residue from simple green will hurt anything? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I don't think a little bit of residue would hurt.

nick19
01-02-2007, 11:42 PM
No harm done bud.. :D

Just wait until you use the foam gun.. it REALLY foams.. and if you want to spray the whole engine, you WILL get some on the side and windsheild. I occassionaly do.. damn wind. Towel and QD in hand though! :cheers:

Again, I would still recommend using a sprayer... ;)

Surfer
01-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Only thing I cover in my engine is the front air box that I have drawing fresh air in through the front. Other than that I spray the engine with a good citrus degreaser, let sit, then wash off with hose set on a medium spray. Then I spray some Armor All Tire foam on which cleans up whatever is left and leaves a nice black shine to rubber/plastic parts, then hose down again. Newer vehicles you don't have to really worry about covering anything, I soaked the hell out of our Lincolns engine bay after a long trip, started right up.

Try a good citrus degreaser, or DP Exterior Cleaner, and even Armor All Tire Foam. After cleaning, you can use 303 Protectant, Poorboys Trim Rstorer, Duragloss Trim products, even Armor All Tire Foam will not only clean but leave a nice black shine.

Luke
01-03-2007, 12:06 AM
I have a 1995 Exlorer, and i used to have a pressure washer. I soaked the hell outta that without covering anything up. It was just fine. Should I continue to do that? What should I cover up? I dont know much about engines, but my 4 liter v6 could own Sword's lambourgini :D:D:D:D:D:D

D
01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
NEVER use a pressure washer to detail engine bays. Maybe 2003 model cars are "old" now, but perfect example are Mustangs. Even just by using a lot of water you can easily foul plugs, TPS, COP's, MAF sensor, 02 sensors, etc.

But cars such as Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc., are wired and covered a lot better. When I detail the engine bay in my Mustang I cover a lot of stuff with aluminum foil, use VERY little water, and dry everything as fast as possible. But with my dad's Audi I dont have to cover anything. So be aware of the car you are doing, expect the wiring, plug holes, etc., and see what it looks like before starting.

Also, NEVER spray a hot engine, it should be cold.

Doing my engine... I cover things up with aluminum foil, spray lightly with water, then spray on Amazing Roll Off. Let it sit for a min or so, then rinse off. Dry with electric leaf blower then turn the car on and let it idle for a few minutes. After that I take it out for a short drive and get it up to temp.

nick19
01-03-2007, 12:14 AM

Double Ditto.. wait at least 15 minutes when you shut it down.

Luke
01-03-2007, 12:16 AM
alright, thanks guys

turbos17
01-03-2007, 12:47 AM
NEVER use a pressure washer to detail engine bays. Maybe 2003 model cars are "old" now, but perfect example are Mustangs. Even just by using a lot of water you can easily foul plugs, TPS, COP's, MAF sensor, 02 sensors, etc.

But cars such as Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc., are wired and covered a lot better. When I detail the engine bay in my Mustang I cover a lot of stuff with aluminum foil, use VERY little water, and dry everything as fast as possible. But with my dad's Audi I dont have to cover anything. So be aware of the car you are doing, expect the wiring, plug holes, etc., and see what it looks like before starting.

Doing my engine... I cover things up with aluminum foil, spray lightly with water, then spray on Amazing Roll Off. Let it sit for a min or so, then rinse off. Dry with electric leaf blower then turn the car on and let it idle for a few minutes. After that I take it out for a short drive and get it up to temp.

You can pressure wash engines and there bays if you are careful and have the proper things covered. I reuse store plastic bags and good ole duct tape to enclose areas I do not want getting wet. Always a good pre-rinse is must, next I SG the engine bay, then the final rinsing, and immediately wipe everything down.

D
01-03-2007, 12:53 AM
I figured people would disagree with that statement, to each their own. Fact is, theres a bigger chance of something going wrong when using a pressure washer over a regular hose and slow stream of water.

turbos17
01-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I figured people would disagree with that statement, to each their own.

I am just curious...have you ever ran into trouble pressure washing a vehicle? Feed back please

nick19
01-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Your own vehicle or a clients? I have worked for someone who used a pressure washer on clients cars. Hey you have to learn some-how right?

D
01-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Ive never ran into trouble using a pressure washer because I dont use it to clean engine bays. I dont even have one. But I do know people that have screwed sensors up under the engine bay by washing it. In fact, Im helping someone fix an issue right now.

I also remember watching an episode of that show where they steal your car and redo it. I believe it was on that show, but they pressure washed the engine and screwed it up.

Heres the thread if you dont believe me, http://www.modularpowerhouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41383

The difference between how cars are set up under the hood is amazing. Theres A LOT greater chance of screwing something up in a Mustang over say an Audi. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. However, I still wouldnt power wash an Audi. Its also going to cost a hell of a lot more to fix an Audi compared to a Mustang.